The Perfect A. Zildjian...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wish I could get a nutshell answer as to the diff (besides price) between the A's and the K's. I've asked once already...
The real history would take awhile. Let’s just keep it very simple...and to current made As and Ks. Basically in a nutshell, As are brighter B20 cymbals and tend to be very versatile to fit many styles. They tend to have only a moderate (if that) amount of complexity in the tone. Ks represent a darker tone, and in general, have a greater amount of hammering. They have a more complex nature than the As. Depending on which K that you’re dealing with, some of those can be quite versatile as well. Zildjian has so many variations nowadays within each line, which could cause some confusion to a newbie.

This is only a high level overview (without going into the deep history). Hope this helps.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! They sound great in a live setting!
Thank you! I feel grateful that I have choices these days! I've been having a blast trying different combos. The HHX Legacy on the far right gets serious stand time. I can't get enough of that one!

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My personal experience is that Ks have “fat tails” on the distribution chart of cymbals I really don’t like to those I love, whereas As fit more of a normal distribution for me, with a slight skew toward the “I love it” range.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

more:

there's 5 PARTS

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I’m enjoying this thread. I have had no choice but to play Zildjians, mostly A’s. I’m half Armenian so it was made clear to me by a beloved jazz head uncle that there could be no substitute. My wife is full Armenian and my father-in-law’s name is—I’m dead serious—Avedis.

markkarj

Reaction score
My two favorite A Zildjians (and frankly, my two favorite cymbals) are a 16" A thin crash and a 20" A medium ride, both made in Canada. They are responsive to the touch and have a beautiful shimmer.

dangermoney

Reaction score
I've owned a pair of 14" New Beats, a 22" A medium ride, and 16" A thin crash, all purchased new in the 70s that I really enjoyed playing over the years. The new beats and ride were loaned out to a friend and never seen nor heard from again. I still have the crash though ...

Johnny K

Reaction score
Soooooo.... I want K's. ;)
Thought the same. Have a few. Great for recording. I have only a set of 60's stamp hats and a 60's stamp 22" ride. And those have changed my mind about just being a K snob. I have been expanding my search for more old A's

Latest posts