The perfect all-purpose crashable ride

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
In some contexts I need to take a drastically reduced drum set and I want a crashable ride. My vintage A is a big crash that can kinda ride but loses articulation and my K custom medium ride is a ride that can't crash. I'm considering getting a single cymbal that can do both reasonably well, for situations where I need a minimalist setup.

If you had to have literally ONE cymbal other than your hats for a gig - you needed it to sound reasonably articulate and crash reasonably well, with a reasonably decent bell sound, what would you choose?

I don't care if it's called a crash or called a ride or called a crash ride - I just need something that would do both reasonably well.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one has worked well for me.
I realize it's a prototype, but I think you could come close to something like this with several Sabian models ... especially the Weckl rides.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Without question in my mind, it's the Zildjian 20" A Medium Thin Crash, or the same thing in Crash/Ride because it's basically the same cymbal. I have one of them and it really does ride and crash beautifully. It's actually my go to ride, even though it's stamped crash.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would take one of two 60s 20" As most likely, which one depends a bit on the volume.
Higher volume-->higher weight.

Or you take a Sabain Omni, all the crash and ride you could want, in one cymbal. Reason I don't own one is just that it's too much of a split-personality cymbal for my feel, and the overall timbre wasn't that great on the ones I tired. Performance is killer though.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
This one has worked well for me.
I realize it's a prototype, but I think you could come close to something like this with several Sabian models ... especially the Weckl rides.

I've been a Zildjian guy for a long time, mostly because it's what I know and availability etc. But I did some looking based on this recommendation, and both of these sound great to me:

But then the idea to keep looking at vintage As 20" from the 60s - that's my wheelhouse...

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
The Oni sounds great too.

And the 20" Zildjian A medium thin. That might be the closest to what I have in my head. I might be an "A guy" at heart. Love my new beats, always loved that brighter more present tone.

These are all awesome.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I often play with just one cymbal and a set of hats, and I use a medium thin 21" ride. I've owned a few medium and medium thin Bosphorus Traditional and Turk cymbals that were perfect crash rides.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
20" K crash/ride. I had one & loved it. I have a 21" K crash/ride now but it's more ride. It has brilliant finish too.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Thanks - the K crash ride sounds great. I'm not ready to move on anything yet, though. Just prepping my drums for a minimalist thing* this weekend and it got me thinking I want to find that perfect all-purpose crash-ride. Initial research.

If I was ready to move on something though, the K crash ride sounds fantastic.

*OT:

"Minimalist" for me is only 4 drums instead of the usual 6 or 7 and only 2 main cymbals and 1 splash - rather than 4 main cymbals and 3 splashes. I might be using the term "minimalist" wrong IDK. -- I watch like Scary Pockets or some of these nu-funk bands with literally 2 drums and 1 cymbal and I almost gasp. How could you SURVIVE IT?!

But when listening to the music, I never really miss the other stuff, and it probably helps the drummers stay in the pocket better. I just don't think I have the guts. 4 piece is as low as I can go right now. But eventually a perfect all-purpose crash ride might help me make the transition to the true minimalist setup that is all the rage right now.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sabian, AA, 20" Raw Bell Crash. It was my go to cymbal for Bikini kit gigs for quite a while. Sold it, some sellers remorse.
Zildjian, 21" A Sweet Ride was it's predecessor, liked that one too.
Sold it, some sellers remorse.
I don't know what's next, I have a 60's A, 22 CR that could work with a Bikini rig.
I liked the 20 best for hats and one cymbal set up.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention this one.
This is a phenomenal one cymbal do it all setup.
Again, it's a Prototype, but what a cymbal.

Reactions: IJR

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a modern 20 A crash/ride model and thought it didn't really do anything very well but was passable. Other specimens may be perfect though but I wasn't impressed.
My 60's A ride does a better job and the Paiste 602 Modern essentials I have is also very good.

jonnyeye

Reaction score
I feel that the answer to this question depends a lot on the average volume of the music you're playing. Something that would be perfect at medium volumes might not open up enough to be a good crash in a low volume situation, or wash out too much when the music gets heavier. My starting point from within my collection would be a 20" K Custom Dark Ride, which covers the middle of the range pretty well, and go up or down in size/weight based on what the situation and music requires.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is essentially the type of cymbal I collect, so I have a bunch that I use. Most are “one offs” (as opposed to a specific model), but I’ll list some of them for whatever it might be worth.

22” thin old K
I got this way back before the prices went through the roof, but if you want the best and money’s no object, go here.

22” medium-thin Nolan
Matt makes phenomenal cymbals ... nuff said.

24” paperthin old A
Very, very thin 24’s can excel in this role and
pop up for sale now and then.

20” thin old A
Readily available, affordable, and the standard bearer.

20” thin Bettis
Have Matt make you one to your own spec’s!

20” or 22” medium-thin Paiste protos
Essentially Twenty Lights (pre Masters), and these function great as rides and crashes.

I could bring any of these to a one-cymbal gig and not be left wanting. There are many viable options.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I feel that the answer to this question depends a lot on the average volume of the music you're playing. Something that would be perfect at medium volumes might not open up enough to be a good crash in a low volume situation, or wash out too much when the music gets heavier. My starting point from within my collection would be a 20" K Custom Dark Ride, which covers the middle of the range pretty well, and go up or down in size/weight based on what the situation and music requires.
This is a good question, and with the 2 I have now it seems relevant. The 60s A is fine when playing pretty quiet but washes out pretty quickly with added volume. The K custom medium ride I have to HAMMER IT to get it to open up - like way louder that I would ever play.

I'm not a "heavy hitter" but I play pop and funk and sometimes we get cranking up pretty good...

So I guess I play kind of "medium" volume.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
20” thin old A
Readily available, affordable, and the standard bearer.
This has me wondering - without a ton of experience I think my old A is really washy, like more than most, and maybe another one would be less so? I love the sound of it - I'll go with it this weekend for my best all-purpose option...but I wonder would thinner be "better" if mine is too washy, or should I look for heavier than what I have? (I know weight is only one factor, but 2 vintage Zildjian A ride from the same era...weight is a factor from one to the next)...