The perfect all-purpose crashable ride

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If just one, My gigging ride is a 20 Bosphorus traditional. Sounds like a vintage A but darker and a thunderous crash. Rock, pop, blues, bluegrass, reggae, general music.

If just one, for my jazz gigs, I'd go to my 22 Agop SE Jazz TW or 22 K Con light.

Browny

Reaction score
I like my 22" 2500g 60s A. If it was a quieter or more relaxed gig I've got a 20" 1850g 50s (I think) A that would work well with a little piece of tape to get a little more stick out of it when riding.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
I figured more folks would say a Sweet Ride would be up there near the top. I’ve owned both the 21” and 23” A sweet rides before and they’re both great. If you want it a little darker, a 22” K light ride is a great choice as well.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a zillion options out there, and much depends on the style and volume of the music, but of the cymbals I happen to own or have owned recently, my 18" Mehmet Traditional Medium Ride is my one-cymbal choice.

I am not in love with this cymbal. Rather, it just sits on the left-side stand as an alternative to everything else. But it still sits there because it IS an alternative to everything else. It will do anything you ask it to do--nothing great, but everything OK. It's therefore the one I'd take if I were only taking one cymbal.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to be that guy, but it kind of feels like asking which is the perfect shade of blue. I think every ride I own is crashable. Several of them might be perfect depending on other factors like the musical context, the other cymbals in my setup, etc. A few favorites, though, are my two K Con MTLs (20 and 22), pretty much any of my Agop Sigs (19-26), and my 22” Byzance Vintage Crash.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This has me wondering - without a ton of experience I think my old A is really washy, like more than most, and maybe another one would be less so? I love the sound of it - I'll go with it this weekend for my best all-purpose option...but I wonder would thinner be "better" if mine is too washy, or should I look for heavier than what I have? (I know weight is only one factor, but 2 vintage Zildjian A ride from the same era...weight is a factor from one to the next)...
Generally heavier would be less washy given a reasonable stroke. Bash it and all bets are off. ;)

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
20" Old K. Next choice would be a 19 Kerope
Sheesh! Expensive choices! ;-)

I think it depends on what your ear wants to hear. If I were in that situation I would be bringing my Bosphorus New Orleans 20" which is something like 1870g. It's dry enough to ride really well but opens up into a crash if I lay into it. If you want something "cleaner" sounding -- not as complex -- then probably an old A or a modern K would do the trick.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh! Expensive choices! ;-)

I think it depends on what your ear wants to hear. If I were in that situation I would be bringing my Bosphorus New Orleans 20" which is something like 1870g. It's dry enough to ride really well but opens up into a crash if I lay into it. If you want something "cleaner" sounding -- not as complex -- then probably an old A or a modern K would do the trick.
I was assuming he asked about what we owned. Btw. I’m on the fence about a New Orleans series that’s at MyCymbal. That series really appeals to me

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
In terms of budget, IDK yet. I'm generally a "cheapest thing that will do the trick" guy, but I'm getting more willing to pony up for nice stuff if it will have plenty of mileage for me.

I appreciate all the suggestions here - from the pricy to the cheaper. IDK which direction to go, so I'll balance cost with what I hear, etc.

If I could get a literally great crash/ride I could use for everything and still want to have around on my larger set ups, that would be worth a little more than a specialty crash or something.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In terms of budget, IDK yet. I'm generally a "cheapest thing that will do the trick" guy, but I'm getting more willing to pony up for nice stuff if it will have plenty of mileage for me.

I appreciate all the suggestions here - from the pricy to the cheaper. IDK which direction to go, so I'll balance cost with what I hear, etc.

If I could get a literally great crash/ride I could use for everything and still want to have around on my larger set ups, that would be worth a little more than a specialty crash or something.
That’s exactly what the 19” Kerope is for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cymbalholic journey's are personal things...one buddy or another telling you what they arrived at and like....is different than what your Journey will be

"Go forth in the wild Bronze yonder"
Seek and you shall find. It slows up and materializes after a good 50 years.

Everyone's Journey is individual.

Asking other's isn't like asking what brand of oil for your Ford.
With cymbals, it's a recommendation but they are not in your shoes.
You must trust your own mind's computations.
That goes for drums too.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In some contexts I need to take a drastically reduced drum set and I want a crashable ride. My vintage A is a big crash that can kinda ride but loses articulation and my K custom medium ride is a ride that can't crash. I'm considering getting a single cymbal that can do both reasonably well, for situations where I need a minimalist setup.

If you had to have literally ONE cymbal other than your hats for a gig - you needed it to sound reasonably articulate and crash reasonably well, with a reasonably decent bell sound, what would you choose?

I don't care if it's called a crash or called a ride or called a crash ride - I just need something that would do both reasonably well.

Any recommendations? Thanks
K Con MTL.

Last edited:

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cymbalholic journey's are personal things...one buddy or another telling you what they arrived at and like....is different than what your Journey will be

That goes for drums too.
And that is the best advice you are going to get. Well said!

Reactions: JDA

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one cymbal that anyone who plays a variety of GB, Jazz, acoustic or virtually any style needs. It’s based on volume, right? For your purpose use your ear. My sense of touch, sustain, pitch are different tham yours!
A large number of cymbals fit this description.
Specifics
18 or 19 inches (17 could be interesting 16 is exotic)
med thin or thinner
sticks make a BIG difference
don’t be afraid of moongel, chains, other strings of things to hang and rattle.
rivet/sizzle cymbals are really good here

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

That goes for drums too.
Right on!