The Philly Joe Jones Ride

fenrir

Reaction score
And it sounds totally unspectacular! Spectacular is Joe's playing on those records.

Man, writing this as an Irishman, it's funny to see Americans still doing the 'looking at the camera' thing while trying to have a conversation - it looks so awkward and is something uniquely American. I see it lot watching the NBA - Mark Jackson asks Jeff Van Gundy a question and Jeff stares into the camera to answer him. Haha

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So many holes in the dissertation from those two... Number 1)

Number 1) Could they have at least shown the stamp on the old K . Held it up to the camera so we could see what Era it is.

Number 2a) I'll let slide on the weight. I'm sure there wasn't a scale within a 5 block area.

2b) No mention what model the K Constantinople is (no salesman in the house..) (That's a play on an old Elvin Jones Jazz Machine song " Is there a Jackson In the House"

3) Paul says all old K were ultra unique "one from the other" ... Old K were era's and within an era- besides 'weight' - were near carbon copies... Why we needed to see the STAMP on this old K..Paul

4) Wouldn't a cymbal from the Kerope line been more -in line- similar?.....Didn't the Kerope line copy the old K bell height and shape? what's going on here

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
And it sounds totally unspectacular!
And that sir is sometimes the point. The 'less is more' concept applied to a cymbal. Just depends what the less that is left in...is.

the old cymbal testers at Zildjian had a saying. They weren't listening for what was there, they were listening for what wasn't there. They weren't listening for what to leave in they were listening for what they wanted left out.

Yea I know let it roll around it'll make sense.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
4a) It's a Type III Old K Zildjian 20"

I almost have confirmation on it.
Weight's still unknown but they were all built pretty similar.

well, if you have $1400-$1800 burning a hole in your pocket and can afford to wait 5/10 years keep looking on reverb and Ebay. They're still out there. Old K <<era builds were near carbon copy identical.

Or
You can over time buy 5 brand new cymbals (you know you will anyway) at $300 a pop.
Works out exactly to

6 or a 1/2 dozen.

© JDA

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm already on it
If they hang down and stay down they won't pop out...hmm.....

My drummer bebop mentor friend (Spider Rondinelli) told me in New York he cut Philly Joe's hair ( you think I'd forget that story?) No mention of bobbypins but now wonder...

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Joe I agree with your points in post #5. If they're not showing the stamp a brief discussion about it would have been appropriate. I didn't think the two sounded all that close either.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Joe I agree with your points in post #5. If they're not showing the stamp a brief discussion about it would have been appropriate. I didn't think the two sounded all that close either.
I'm seeing a III (the most expensive old K these days fergetabouttit) from the side view the low but wide cup in the old stamp (I , II, II, and (and later 58-59 IV) giveaway. I have Hartrick doing analysis Plus if true it was used on Cookin' Relaxin' that series of sides that is 1953-1956 ish. Right on top of old Stamp III era If the cymbal was new then probably was.

Funny that a Kerope wasn't chosen.
Would think more spot on

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, they didn't sound close.

Is the this a new product video or a sound lab prototype? Is it called the "Philly Joe Jones Model"?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It does, thank you and the fact...to get away from that 'pricking the fingers of split rivets and the scrrrratch if next to another cymbal in pack or storage all points...to this may be the way to go for awhile at least.
And bongoBrad yea I have mucho cotter pins (from the car days) but these 'black I call em bobbypins (wrong name) are plastic or paint coated so no heavy scratch that ...well I may try cotters, too..

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
That sounds really cool, though.
That's a Darling little 16" New Stamp old K at 1275g that when I received it from the ebay seller he included a note. A full notebook page note (I think I noticed some tear stain on it) said it was his favorite crash ride of all time etc. I never forgot that came with a letter... It's one of those made on a Wednesday in Turkey on a perfect morning probably. I have a used-car lot full of old Ks around 15. Many are run of the mill (if there's such a thing (there is) era but a few standouts. That 16" is one of them.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a Darling little 16" New Stamp old K at 1275g that when I received it from the ebay seller he included a note. A full notebook page note (I think I noticed some tear stain on it) said it was his favorite crash ride of all time etc. I never forgot that came with a letter... It's one of those made on a Wednesday in Turkey on a perfect morning probably. I have a used-car lot full of old Ks around 15. Many are run of the mill (if there's such a thing (there is) era but a few standouts. That 16" is one of them.
So cool.
I would have framed that letter.

Latest posts