The Philly Joe Jones Ride

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Riley is a monster and I love K Cons, but that Philly ride is lower pitched, darker and sounds fantastic with the rivets. Sounds like it is a little more dead with little wash and the rivets give it sustain and some high end. When he starts playing, I think hands down the old K!

I have a K Con 20" light ride that sounds close to the old K......

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Receiving Consensus coming in from sources on hi that that's a Type IV era old K. (you know the one where the 1st character in middle of the insignia looks like a 'J' or a saxophone...

(there's two one where the Made In Turkey wraps around the cresent (IVb) and where the Made In Turkey is splayed out under the cresent (IVa) No build (hence sound character) difference between an a or b)

you know similar to the one DB sold for 700$ the other week..
and DonnieB just found one... and..

Last edited:

Rock Salad

Reaction score
It was almost shocking how quiet the Philly Joe cymbal sounded, especially crashed. Honestly, I don't know if I would have bought it at the pawn shop for $50. My eyes are opening.
I think that the quest for controled volume is key to lots of those old bop guys vibe and sound. But also including, must project with brushes.

Thanks for posting, Very educational.
Have you seen Steve Jordan playing Elvin's cymbals?

Reactions: JDA

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No kidding! That's the real deal right there. Low-pitched but clear, quiet (as has been mentioned) but not overly washy. It is drier than when new probably, but the general character is just something else, that probably hasn't changed. I wonder why they didn't pick a Kerope to compare to this one, the KCon sounds a bit similar in ptich, but to my ears has a different character.
Will have to check with the old recordings if you can recognize it. Overtones/pitches don't lie, espeically upon crashing, they're like the DNA of cymbal sound even if the player/stick/room/mics differ.

Reactions: egw

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gone all -rivet removal- in for the Philly Joe (comical) Bobby pin...(still don't have the correct name) No more pointy scratchy split rivs for me totally beautiful sizzle lacks nothing soundwise really..
Oh as an added added benefit looks either like "tears" or windshield Wipers...so almost 1950s chic cool (lol ha!
https://soundcloud.com/jda56%2F20oldknsbobbied

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: egw

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As much as I love K cons and Paul Francis....that K con is not even close. I think John was just being a nice guy.

I actually think my 22" K con over-hammered 2208 grams without and then with some tape on it sounds closer.
A little duct tape dries it out nice...close to the Philly Joe cymbal.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
JDA, do the pins deaden the roar like rivets do?

Sounds like it does.
I don't notice a big difference spread the pin to get it in; they're not (that) "tight" at all.

All in on 3. a 20 New Stamp, 18 Intermediate, and 16 new Stamp

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Receiving Consensus coming in from sources on hi that that's a Type IV era old K. (you know the one where the 1st character in middle of the insignia looks like a 'J' or a saxophone...

(there's two one where the Made In Turkey wraps around the cresent (IVb) and where the Made In Turkey is splayed out under the cresent (IVa) No build (hence sound character) difference between an a or b)

you know similar to the one DB sold for 700$ the other week..
and DonnieB just found one... and..

Hey man! It just wasn't me.
And I love the old K sound. It just doesn't work for how I want to sound in any of the music I play. Beautiful cymbals, though. Love 'em.
I don't want it just sitting over in the corner staring at me all the time saying "Look at what a waste of money I am!".

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As much as I love K cons and Paul Francis....that K con is not even close. I think John was just being a nice guy.

I actually think my 22" K con over-hammered 2208 grams without and then with some tape on it sounds closer.
A little duct tape dries it out nice...close to the Philly Joe cymbal.

Duct tape baby. Ages a cymbal 60 years

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
two weights of the PJJ K Con for those w/ cash burning a hole ..in the wallet

2230g

2158g

"bobby pins not included must be provided by owner

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's probably just the recording and my crappy phone speakers, but those don't sound anything like the original from that video to me. Maybe they do in person.
Joe, that heavier one you posted has some weird tones coming out of it. They're higher pitched. I don't like that one at all.

Latest posts