The Philly Joe Jones Ride

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of Mark's mini bell Funch? I thought that cymbal ought to be included in this Philly Joe cymbal thread.
I don't know many bop players, but from reading interviews and hearing demos of some of their cymbals it seems to me that they would select more by volume and sustain than pitch and spread. That one Tom just posted up seems like one they would have loved.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
maybe I'll add a little bit of tape at some point.
Update: I just put a strip of narrow painter's tape on the bottom; that did the trick of "pre-aging" the cymbal to my ear. Drier now, not as sibilant. A bit more similar to the patina'ed, cut-out original? Anyway, very happy with the sound now. The lows have remained the same I think, but in the mix they don't stand out, they just add a little roar/darkness.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great thread. Didn't quite get it all the first time. Re-read it again. Makes more sense now.

rimtap

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to fitzsy for inspiring me to give one of the PJJ rides a try. In the past, I've owned a 20" K Constantinople medium ride when they first came out, and later, a 22" Bounce ride. Neither of them really did it for me. I sold the Bounce ride almost immediately and sold the first generation K Con a few years ago because I never used it anymore, preferring my old K's. I spent quite a bit of time on the Memphis Drum Shop site listening to the sound files of John Riley playing the PJJ rides and picked the one that sounded the best to me of the remaining available rides, and it happened to also be the heaviest one left at 2108 grams. I used it last Friday at an outdoor session with some friends, and really liked it. Definitely a keeper!

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
From the Riley video posted, the new K Con sounds brighter and washier than the original Philly Joe ride. It actually sounds a lot like my medium thin low K.
I agree with the Kerope comment. The original cymbal has a similar darkness and stick definition as my 19" Kerope Crash/Ride.

poetman

Reaction score
So much going on here--sorry I missed this over the summer, but, hey, the global pandemic was a bit distracting!

I am really surprised Zildjian didn't compare Philly's ride to a Kerope. I think those sound better. I am on the fence with them. I don't like the artificial patina process on principle, though not because I think it harms the cymbal sound. Artificial patina makes the Spizz sound great

Francis and Riley should have put a piece of tape and a rivet and bobby pin in the new K con. to show listeners how close the new cymbal could approximate the old one. I must admit one one hand I appreciate all the new models Zildjian offers in the Con. line, but, on the other hand, it is hard not to feel like every new release is a passive way of saying "our last model doesn't sound enough like an old K, so we just made this, and also each old K sounds so different from one to the next, we are just going to make new models for each old K we find." I understand the marketing advantage here, but it would be so much easier if the K con. line just tried to recapture the old K method and left it alone: small batch, hand hammered, bell shape/press, etc. and just make a bunch of cymbals. Let the musicians trust their ears.

The quiet/dead sound of Philly's ride also seems consistent with the aging of these Ks. Matthias' rides sound similar

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
Cool. I was having the same issue with 30th anniversary and tape dialed it in as well. I use gaff tape, I haven't tried painter's tape. Gaff tape is supposed to leave no residue, but it does if you leave it on long enough. I try not to leave it on.

Update: I just put a strip of narrow painter's tape on the bottom; that did the trick of "pre-aging" the cymbal to my ear. Drier now, not as sibilant. A bit more similar to the patina'ed, cut-out original? Anyway, very happy with the sound now. The lows have remained the same I think, but in the mix they don't stand out, they just add a little roar/darkness.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
You posted this playlist in another thread, but I listened through it and I have to say, that PJJ sounds really great with the play along!!
Thanks, I also think it sits very well in the mix. I have some cymbals that sound similar with some sticks (lower wood pitch) but these still crash high. The PJJ also crashes low, which is great for staying underneath the brass presence frequencies (a Mel Lewis concept).

slcdrummer

Reaction score
I should have added to this thread forever ago but I ended up buying and selling two of these! Here’s video links:

The first one was 2263g. It had more mojo of the two. Deep hammering and just a really tough look and sound. It had ugly overtones and a kind of harsh ping. I drilled 6 rivets but only ever used two. I miss this one more—it was sometime tough to bring it on a gig but it was very unique.

The second one was 2100g and I think it was made later than the first one. WAY more polite and more crashable but less personality. Ultimately it lacked the projection I was looking for in a medium ride. After a couple gigs of laying into it and not getting enough sound I sold it. But it was beautiful too.

I ended up ditching this model because I got a new stamp K that I felt covered my desire for a medium, Philly Joe-Esque ride. Here is the cymbal that ruined me for Memphis Drum Shop PJJ rides:

• Love
Reactions: JDA