The phone is ringing again...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next gig is May 8th with the Petty band but it's a very small thingie. Also, we just booked a festival type gg in September. But that is it~

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lucky you...

Up in the province of Quebec, Canada, I've received news from a network of larger capacity venues that we had booked for this year. Our dates have been pushed back 3 times already. We hoped to be able to do them in the autumn but the head of the network have been told by the authorities that they most likely won't have a greenlight before 2022. And pretty much all of the outdoors festivals have cancelled this year's edition as well...

Since these dates were already advertised last year and most were sold out, it is non-sensical to honor every ticket sale by playing 4 nights per venue in limited capacity, distanced settings. With staff and hotels, we'd end up paying to play, wich, after a year with virtually no revenue is an impossibility for us. We'll see how this plays out.

I guess I'll have to pick the guitar back up and go play my singer/songwriter stuff again, in smaller places, alone or maybe with 1 amigo, if and when they open back up.

Here we deal with criminally understaffed hospitals unable to cope with even a modest spike in severe cases so, even though the vaxxing campaign is going full tilt, we, the population, are still held hostages and footing the bill. In the meantime, at nurse Gf's hospital, the worst departments over-flowing aren't the Covid wing (3 cases) but the psychiatry ward, and (man! this one breaks my heart:mad:) the pediatry department full with youth suicide attempts.

Hopefully not for much longer.

Good gigs to those who will play in the upcomming weeks, enjoy every moments of it. And sorry for the rant, it's hard to not let it get to me. Even more so when I see life returning to a semblance of normality elsewhere.

Jml

Reaction score
Yep. Everyone I know has gotten either the first or second vaccine. Gig scheduled for June with more to come.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nothing really happening here for me. Even with vaccines, here in Buffalo gigs are trickling back for some, with very limited crowd size. No return to "normal" anytime soon it seems.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nothing new for me. The few shows I have been too have been half to quarter of the crowd numbers they were two years ago, people are still not going out in any number around here.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finally paid that bill eh? ;-)
North of 15 000 nurses have quit their jobs in our province alone this year due to the ridiculously extreme conditions under emergency measures law. They don''t talk about that a lot in the news but it is what it is. Most places work with less than half the minimum safe staff on pretty much every shift and a lot of those remaining are mostly inexperienced kids yanked out of nursing school, thrown on the front line and worked to exhaustion. So yeah, now isn't a good time to be in a car crash or anything requiring more than a band-aid and a pat on the behind.

Hang in there bud, hopefully, things will pick back up. When inter-provincial travel bans are lifted, I'll definitely try and go visit your shop. I've browsed your inventory on your site, there's some truly interesting stuff there!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate that I've been able to play as much as I have. We've already had a couple full band gigs, plus the calendar is filling up again. It was kind of nice to have my weekend nights off for a while, but looks like we'll be back to 4 or 5 gigs a week before too long. Everyone in the band is vaccinated now and everything is allowed back to full capacity, plus the state is about a third vaccinated.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got both my shots Feb and March.....Had 2 gigs in March........3 in April .....and 5 in May....Last year my last gig was March 13th and the next one was December. Things are opening up- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-West Palm Beach....

makinao

Reaction score
Hi. Here in the MetroManila Philippines, vaccinations for A1 medical frontliners are still in full swing. A2 Seniors above 60 (that's me) started last week, but stopped because supply ran out. It's restarting on Monday, and I've got a schedule on Tuesday. We're still stay at home until the end of April. But with the vaccinations going so slowly and a hugh surge in progress, I doubt there will be any gigs until the 4th quarter at the earliest. 2022 is a safer bet.

The industry is really bad right now. I have friends selling off their gear just to make ends meet. I'm just lucky I have a work at home day job.

Whitten

Reaction score
Europe is a mess, musicians in the UK get a lot of their work out of Europe. I think things are going to start up again over the Summer in the UK, but it's going to be later in 2021 at the earliest before musicians can travel in Europe.
Our vaccines are 3 months apart, so I'm not due my second shot before early June.