The POWER of wood

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beaters!..I have tried them all and nothing compares to those red ball Danmars, not even close imo...Even playing softly and just feathering the head you can hear/feel the power.
Anyone agree, or not with this?

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wayne, the only beater I’ve tried that’s more powerful is the square red wood beater from Danmar. I think J.R. Robinson uses them still. Slightly heavier than the regular wood beater and more surface area meeting the head with each strike. Loudest bass drum sound I’ve ever achieved. Too much so, in fact. Had to switch to the square felt Zoro beater.

stevil

Reaction score
I'm very happy with Vic Kick wood beaters. Give a solid, powerful sound.

I've never tried the square wood mallets, but I worry about the better not being flush when it hits the head.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought one, and put it through my kick batter on my first gig with it. I loved it while it lasted, half a set.

I guess I’m a bit heavier-footed than I thought. I went back to felt, but wood certainly does transmit power.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I've used one for decades, it's my favorite. I'm not picky just about any pedal and beater works for me, but the red wood ball kicks asp.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've been using the Gibraltar wood beater for 8 years now. I love it. It's worn down a bit, so I sanded the sharp edges to prevent it wearing through the impact patch.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
WOW!
What great timing of this topic
(But we're all drummers so I should have expected it)

I just found a chunk of wood I plan to make a kick beater out of. It is a piece of African hardwood that is heavier and more dense than the maple beaters. I am planning to do some kind of round shape with it to maximize surface contact. I am trying to decide between fully round or more oval.

Any opinions on the best shape for the beater head?

Sorry for the thread hijack Wayne. :hello2:

mebeatee

Reaction score
As already stated a square flat beater will give you the most surface contact.....just have a few spare heads on hand!!
Keep in mind with a square wood or felt beater ball/square the shaft must be bent to make sure the beater lands flush, unlike a straight shaft for a round/oval shaped beater.
bt

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I had the Danmar red years ago.
I prefer the Gibraltar self-aligning felt/plastic reversible beater now.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never tried wood beaters, but I hate the sound of plastic versions. Are the wood beaters different in sound to the plastic ones? I'm assuming that a protective patch is absolutely necessary to preserve the batter head? Does the average wood beater feel different from an equivalent plastic beater? I'm also assuming that the wood beaters are lighter than plastic. Is that so? Do the unpainted wood beaters sound softer than the painted versions?

I'm interested in trying a round wood beater if they don't sound like plastic.

GeeDeeEmm

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, use a patch and your head will last (make sure to replace the patch in time). A round wood beater first of all is heavier, thus producing more volume/low end, but it's also harder to control. The harder surface adds click attack, but then the patch might take some of it away again. The old-fashioned Moleskin patch offers a nice mix.

You could get a round wooden beater and see how you like it. If you want more surface contact, you could then flatten one side at the angle it hits the head. I got this idea from a felt beater that had been flattened by a coated batter head.

Reactions: egw

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I hate the sound of plastic versions. Are the wood beaters different in sound to the plastic ones?
No sonic difference between wood & plastic that I've noticed. I mean, we're talking about smacking a drumhead with a harder & heavier beater than felt, the wallop is more pronounced, that's all.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand that 100%. Where I notice the difference is in the options I have with wood beaters. I play very softly and still get the tone I need where the felts wont. If I want to lay into it for effect and back off, I feel the transition. I also prefer wood direct to head w/o pads. I tune a tad higher, but then again, im not a heavy rock drummer