The Prophesied Great Boomer Gear Sell-Off?

kallen49

Reaction score
I’m not an expert, but, if you watch the PBS series Antiques Road Show you will see a lot of collectables have decreased in value since 2008 and some a considerable amount. They actually do “then vs now” comparison shows and often the “now” price is lower. The high end antique furniture market seems to have especially gone down. Is that a comparable?
(See the recent thread about Dave Gilmour donating a lot of his guitars).
I for one am selling anything I don’t use: “getting my affairs in order” as they used to say.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Everything tanked that day in 2008 when Wall Street crashed unless of course you did some insider trading or short sales lol. It’s not so much about small money collectbales like most drums but big ticket items like vintage guitars jewelry cars Artwork ,period furniture antiques and real estate that are affected the most. Buy low sell high!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not all collecdtibles peaked in 2008....but many did. 1960's Muscle cars for instance peaked in September 2007....with the stock market peaking within a month of that. It took precious metals until 2011 to peak. Oil peaked in July 2007 which was the harbinger of all bad things to follow in 2008-2009. But most collectibles peaked in that 2006-2008 period. It will probably turn out that it was a multi-decade peak, that may never be seen gain unless rampant inflation occurs down the road. On a constant dollar basis we may never see those prices again for 90-95% of our gear. Just too much gear and not enough collectors. The millenials are next up and they will eventually find collectibles from their younger days to fawn over. Demographics in Asia will be a major player too, though I think they will focus on their own heritage of the past 50-300 yrs.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a Fiesta Pearl & Peacock Sparkle kit if anyone is looking to participate in the great boomer gear sell off..
Just sayin.. :toothy10:

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold most everything off 8-10 years ago. One or two kits for my kids to do with what they want is fine. Anymore than that and it becomes a burden on my children.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sold off a major part of my vintage collection when I moved and "downsized" six years ago. In the last few years I sold off most of the remaining collection, the "I'll never sell" stuff... some very rare snares, a vintage jazz size set, and a few old Ks. Really don't miss any of them. I still have 4 sets but will probably sell one more vintage one that will be tough to let go of. That will leave my original Slingerland set I got in junior high, a Spaun set that I use for all my gigs, and a home practice set I got last year (Gretsch Renown).
Still have about 10 snares...

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Rich, the last few years I have done the same thing. Got one more kit to go, and a few snares. That will leave me with a several gigging kits and the kit that started it all in 1968.
I'm older now, and I've been thinking about the trouble it would be for my family to deal with it all if something happens to me.
I'm only 69, good health, feel great - but you never know...

As far as values, I see less and less really nice stuff on eBay, it's sitting in collectors' homes and they're holding on to it.
It seems to me that the internet has greatly grown the number of people who are interested in vintage drums and also spread the knowledge about them in the last 20 years. The amount of drums out there from the golden years is fixed, but the interest has grown considerably. I'm really not worried too much about values, but I recognize that the crazy prices of 10 years ago will not come back. There was a lot of new folks coming in that pushed prices to the roof, but the knowledge-driven playing field has been leveled by the internet, which has brought prices down somewhat and made them more stable, imho.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Lots of smart posts in this thread. A good read. Here is my angle. Even though I paid into it, Social Security seems like a gift each month. Medicare is great. We have our house paid off and I drive a 2000 Explorer. If I sell stuff, the money is really not of consequence. My biggest concern is the drum projects and parts that I need to finish and make use of. Ace

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I will say, I'd love it if y'all boomers let loose your 20s Black Beauties and 80s Sonors. And why try to get top dollar? You can't take it with you, but you can see the look of joy on a 30-something working drummer's face. ;)

Just kidding, of course... I'm not that picky. I'd take a 12/14/20 kit or two, pretty flexible on make and model.

Now, in absolute seriousness... about 5 years ago, an older gentleman that lived near my dad found out I was a drummer. I came to visit my dad and walked into his living room to the sight of all of this gentleman's drum gear, which he decided to gift to me, never having even met me before. He was clearing out his possessions, and getting rid of everything but his little red sports car! He said it was a relief for him to know that his wife wouldn't have to deal with his old drums. He left it with me with the instructions to use what I wanted, and sell or get rid of anything I didn't have use for.

He later asked if he could borrow a snare drum back to play some brushes and a drum roll for an event. I gave him back his Supra and a really nice Sonor snare stand of mine.

That gear is darn near priceless to me. There were two kits, an AMAZING sounding Swivo kit that I passed on to a good friend, who's using it with some of the top bluegrass cats in Nashville, and a totally gigged to death RB. I kept the RB, put bottom reso side hardware back on it, refinished it in nitro, and made it one of my main drum sets. I'll never part with those (or the 16" Zildjian "bop hats") that were with it! There's magic in those drums, and the generosity that got them to me.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will say, I'd love it if y'all boomers let loose your 20s Black Beauties and 80s Sonors. And why try to get top dollar? You can't take it with you, but you can see the look of joy on a 30-something working drummer's face. ;)

Just kidding, of course... I'm not that picky. I'd take a 12/14/20 kit or two, pretty flexible on make and model.

Now, in absolute seriousness... about 5 years ago, an older gentleman that lived near my dad found out I was a drummer. I came to visit my dad and walked into his living room to the sight of all of this gentleman's drum gear, which he decided to gift to me, never having even met me before. He was clearing out his possessions, and getting rid of everything but his little red sports car! He said it was a relief for him to know that his wife wouldn't have to deal with his old drums. He left it with me with the instructions to use what I wanted, and sell or get rid of anything I didn't have use for.

He later asked if he could borrow a snare drum back to play some brushes and a drum roll for an event. I gave him back his Supra and a really nice Sonor snare stand of mine.

That gear is darn near priceless to me. There were two kits, an AMAZING sounding Swivo kit that I passed on to a good friend, who's using it with some of the top bluegrass cats in Nashville, and a totally gigged to death RB. I kept the RB, put bottom reso side hardware back on it, refinished it in nitro, and made it one of my main drum sets. I'll never part with those (or the 16" Zildjian "bop hats") that were with it! There's magic in those drums, and the generosity that got them to me.

Attachments

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unique 1950s Gretsch 3ply 20-12-14-4x14

Don't like using the word "rare" too much but this set certainly would qualify.

Factory sizes consist of:
20 x 12 bass drum (obviously a special order and ultra rare)
12 x 8 ride tom
14 x 14 floor tom (was recovered by Precision Drums approx 18 years ago)
4 x 14 snare drum.

The vibrant red sparkle wrap is original (except for FT) and tight to the shell, in excellent condition.

Bearing edges are all original factory profiled and are in excellent condition.

Bass drum rail consolette was moved at some point in time leaving (1) visible and (1) hidden extra hole.

Bass drum cymbal mount is a Slingerland radio King style and was present when I received these drums nearly 20 years ago.

Floor tom was recovered by Precision Drums in NY approximately 18 years ago and is a dead on match to the rest of the set. The seam was placed offset to the factory location on purpose so as not to be confused as an original drum (lots of scammers out there).

Overall chrome in very good condition with the floor tom stickchopper hoops showing wear.

Progressive Jazz snare drum is crisp and responsive, unlike most from this era.

The tone from the bass drum is the best you'll ever hear as its tuning range is beyond versatile. Quite frankly to me it sounds better than any 14x18 bass drum.

Front resonant head on bass drum is factory original calfskin which lends to the warn, punchy tones.

This drumset is being offered for sale to anyone within the continental United States. Any overseas buyers interested in this set would need to arrange shipping within the US48. All shipping costs will be actual and solely the responsibility of the buyer. More information upon request.

Presented at $3800.00 but accepting reasonable offers.

Thank you and God Bless America!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
This drumset is being offered for sale to anyone within the continental United States. Any overseas buyers interested in this set would need to arrange shipping within the US48. All shipping costs will be actual and solely the responsibility of the buyer. More information upon request.

Dude, this ain't the For Sale section.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sold 2 drum sets last year, which leaves me at 3 drum sets, and 6 snare drums.

I couldn't see the point of owning more sets that I could set up in my drum room at any one time.

As far as what happens to them when I am gone, they can go to Goodwill for all I care. I am the only one who has any attachment to them.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score

Oh, wow, this story made my day. Thanks, AaronLatos!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unique 1950s Gretsch 3ply 20-12-14-4x14

Don't like using the word "rare" too much but this set certainly would qualify.

Factory sizes consist of:
20 x 12 bass drum (obviously a special order and ultra rare)
12 x 8 ride tom
14 x 14 floor tom (was recovered by Precision Drums approx 18 years ago)
4 x 14 snare drum.

The vibrant red sparkle wrap is original (except for FT) and tight to the shell, in excellent condition.

Bearing edges are all original factory profiled and are in excellent condition.

Bass drum rail consolette was moved at some point in time leaving (1) visible and (1) hidden extra hole.

Bass drum cymbal mount is a Slingerland radio King style and was present when I received these drums nearly 20 years ago.

Floor tom was recovered by Precision Drums in NY approximately 18 years ago and is a dead on match to the rest of the set. The seam was placed offset to the factory location on purpose so as not to be confused as an original drum (lots of scammers out there).

Overall chrome in very good condition with the floor tom stickchopper hoops showing wear.

Progressive Jazz snare drum is crisp and responsive, unlike most from this era.

The tone from the bass drum is the best you'll ever hear as its tuning range is beyond versatile. Quite frankly to me it sounds better than any 14x18 bass drum.

Front resonant head on bass drum is factory original calfskin which lends to the warn, punchy tones.

Thank you and God Bless America!
Really nice kit. But this is NOT the thread to be offering items for sale!

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that less people are interested in vintage gear, whether you are talking about drums, guitars, basses, or whatever.

I'll be sixty years old this coming May. (I hope.) The oldest a male on my father's side of the family has lived to is sixty-three. Ever. My older brother who is a guitarist just turned sixty-three last month, he owns about twenty nice American Fender guitars. He and I have talked about this subject many times. He has two sons, both are drummers in their thirties. The older one owns a 70s Slingerland kit that I gave him, and a modern ddrums kit. He covets my DWs, but really has little interest in gear beyond that. His younger brother helps his dad and I haul gear for our band. He has a 1980s Ludwig Rocker kit, also supplied by "Uncle Mike". He is around cool gear all of the time, but seems completely immune to it.

I have no children. I currently own the aforementioned DW Collector's Series kit, a set of 1960s Round badge Gretsch, a set of 1970s stop sign badge Gretsch, a super clean mid-60s Slingerland kit and two 70s Slingerland kits. I have close to thirty snare drums, including a couple of single ply Radio Kings, two modern Black Beauties, a Gretsch Bell Brass, a Gretsch Stanton Moore, a Gretsch Max Roach, a N & C solid shell, a DW Super Solid, a DW/Craviotto, a DW Edge, a DW solid shell, a Rogers COB Dynasonic, and a bunch more. I play bass as well and have a flock of American Fender, Rickenbacker, and Music Man basses. My "stuff" isn't as over the top as what some of you own, but it was a sizable investment for me.

My brother and I have made a pact that whoever survives the longest will help the other one's widow handle the sell down. I suspect that dealing with that sad act will likely encourage the survivor to scale back whatever they still own.

This same subject is often a topic on bass forums as well.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
You'd think Marshall stacks would be white elephants but that doesn't seem to be happening yet either, even as people dump 2,3k or more into fancy distortion pedals that look like amps. (Overstated for effect. I love my Eleven Rack btw) That seems a more aggressive timeline as there are precious few places to play them, and the alternatives are actually quite palatable as well as practical and cheaper too. Yet new reissues are still coming out, even a 5w JCM800 head now... I think while marching time has shrunk things, the overall size of the pool is increasing to offset it.

Latest posts