~ The Psychedelic Sixties & Thermogloss Ludwigs ~

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
So for weeks, I kept watching this custom painted psychedelic 20" Ludwig bass drum head that was listed on eBay...

The painted 20" head came straight out of California which is pretty much where the hippie culture started in January 1967... leading into the Summer of Love on the West Coast and later the 1969 Woodstock Festival on the East Coast. After receiving the head and judging by look of it, I defiantly believe the artwork is every bit of 48 years old... really cool and well painted...

For some reason, I kept telling myself, I bet this head would look very sixties on my 1968 20/12/14 thermogloss Keystone Ludwig kit... IMHO, I think it goes very well together with natural maple finish and I can't think of any other wrap/color that this retro head would look perfect with... so for now, I'm gonna keep it on this kit.
20160303_162802.jpg Now, I gotta find me some bell bottom pants & white loafers that fit.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
So for weeks, I kept watching this custom painted psychedelic 20" Ludwig bass drum head that was listed on eBay...

The painted 20" head came straight out of California which is pretty much where the hippie culture started in January 1967... leading into the Summer of Love on the West Coast and later the 1969 Woodstock Festival on the East Coast. After receiving the head and judging by look of it, I defiantly believe the artwork is every bit of 48 years old... really cool and well painted...

For some reason, I kept telling myself, I bet this head would look very sixties on my 1968 20/12/14 thermogloss Keystone Ludwig kit... IMHO, I think it goes very well together with natural maple finish and I can't think of any other wrap/color that this retro head would look perfect with... so for now, I'm gonna keep it on this kit.
20160303_162802.jpg Now, I gotta find me some bell bottom pants & white loafers that fit.
Wish I could help. I had a pair of 70's pants that were in that "stretchy" material, bell bottoms of course, and they were aqua blue.
Would have gone great with your kit! I kept them well into the 90's until I absolutely couldn't put them on anymore.

Stretch Riedle

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Is that a natural wood finish, or is it a plastic laminate? Also interesting that it has the retracting spurs rather than the gull wing spurs, which were standard on all 60's top of the line drums.

I'll bet those drums sound beautiful.

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a great head. You've got a pair of 20's coming from me:)

They'll be out wed.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Thanks again everybody... the head has definitely grown on me.

Also, I have this very same kit but in Jazzette 18/12/14 and one day probably many years from now, I hope to locate myself a late 1960s 22/13/16 and a 24/13/16 in thermogloss natural maple.

Unfortunately, I don't see enough of these kits but, I just think these thermogloss Keystone era kits are absolutely beautiful... yet very basic.

To me hands down the best sounding Ludwig kit... just imagine if this was a 24" kit...

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is something so minimalistic and beautiful about those thermogloss kits. You're a lucky man.