The quietest kit? What to stick in a rehearsal room.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
50dB of reduction is incredible. I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but every 10dB of reduction equals about a 50% reduction in volume. So if it's 100dB Inside the building, it's about 1/32 of the volume outside. At 50dB, the volume is equivalent to that of an indoor conversation. Really man, that room gets built and it does what the builder claims, you're done.

Yes, some drums may produce more or less of certain frequencies, but not to the degree that it makes one bit of difference in your situation. Tell your bass player to turn down. Stick some laundry in your kick. Done.
Or have the bass player use a direct box to the PA.

Those are staggering numbers!

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
50dB of reduction is incredible. I hope I'm not telling you what you already know, but every 10dB of reduction equals about a 50% reduction in volume. So if it's 100dB Inside the building, it's about 1/32 of the volume outside. At 50dB, the volume is equivalent to that of an indoor conversation. Really man, that room gets built and it does what the builder claims, you're done.

Yes, some drums may produce more or less of certain frequencies, but not to the degree that it makes one bit of difference in your situation. Tell your bass player to turn down. Stick some laundry in your kick. Done.
It is costing circa £30k! They’re a professional studio building company so I do trust their claims. It’s not just a general building company or amateur job!

I live in London so sadly don’t have the space to be able to make noise without worry! I’ve a detached house with garden but it’s flanked immediately on either side by another house.

Currently, I have a kit setup in one of the rooms of the house with enough treatment that I can play on my own without causing too much disruption (but it is audible outside) but I’m after something in which a whole band can rehearse so that necessitates this!

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is costing circa £30k! They’re a professional studio building company so I do trust their claims. It’s not just a general building company or amateur job!

I live in London so sadly don’t have the space to be able to make noise without worry! I’ve a detached house with garden but it’s flanked immediately on either side by another house.

Currently, I have a kit setup in one of the rooms of the house with enough treatment that I can play on my own without causing too much disruption (but it is audible outside) but I’m after something in which a whole band can rehearse so that necessitates this!
That's awesome that you're having something professionally built. If I were you, I'd wait until after it's complete and assess your next steps from there. Ask your neighbors if you can listen from inside their house while the rest of your band is playing. Maybe ask another drummer to sit in. I think it's going to be hard to hear inside another detached building with 50dB of reduction, but spacing in London might be closer than I can imagine. But even if it is slightly audible, it might still be fine if it's not late at night.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I don’t miss the lack of space between detached houses in England! Many things I miss like crazy. Cornish pasties, sausage rolls, faggots, real Chinese curry, car boot sales, jumbles, Eurovision song contests, Mrs. Bucket (boo-kay)...

You’re going with a sensible solution. I would definitely suspend things from the floor, as that will help immensely. But it sounds like you’re on the right track.

Thin, large jazz cymbals, soft wood drums would help. Maybe luan? I don’t know if England had the proliferation of cheap Japanese drum kits like America did in the 60s, but if they did, that could help keep volume in check. I know I have added many replies, but as we hear more of what you’re requiring, we can help you come up with your solutions.

Ultimately, you decide how to proceed, as we’re just trying to give some points to jump from.

Last edited:

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
I don’t miss the lack of space between detached houses in England! Many things I miss like crazy. Cornish pasties, sausage rolls, faggots, real Chinese curry
Before anyone reports Dumpy’s post, I wish to just clarify for those who may not know, that all of the things above are types of food! ;)

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
I don’t miss the lack of space between detached houses in England! Many things I miss like crazy. Cornish pasties, sausage rolls, faggots, real Chinese curry, car boot sales, jumbles, Eurovision song contests, Mrs. Bucket (boo-kay)...

You’re going with a sensible solution. I would definitely suspend things from the floor, as that will help immensely. But it sounds like you’re on the right track.

Thin, large jazz cymbals, soft wood drums would help. Maybe luan? I don’t know if England had the proliferation of cheap Japanese drum kits like America did in the 60s, but if they did, that could help keep volume in check. I know I have added many replies, but as we hear more of what you’re requiring, we can help you come up with your solutions.

Ultimately, you decide how to proceed, as we’re just trying to give some points to jump from.
I currently use 19 and 20” Zildjian As for crashes, and 23” and 24” A and K rides. So hopefully that helps.
I haven’t heard of the wood you mentioned before so I’ll have to look into it.

I’ll be using a Floating plinth under all the amps and also one under the drum kit to help with vibration isolation.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before anyone reports Dumpy’s post, I wish to just clarify for those who may not know, that all of the things above are types of food! ;)
Sally Lunn’s buns are a delight, as well!

Get your minds out of the gutter: Sally Lunn’s is a place in Bath that serves buns with clotted cream! I need to get back to England after ‘rona!!!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the room all squared away, Ive got a similar space (though smaller) and it’s been a game changer for me.

Per your drum gear questions, smaller wood drums would def help, thinner sticks, but mostly just working on touch will do the trick. I’ve also become a big fan of those cloth rings that you can place inside drums, fancy versions of towels. They don’t change the feel much to me, just take out some of the bite and overtones making it a bit kinder on the band mates. I use this now a lot in my small personal room and anytime I rehearse with a group in a smallish room. I really like the way they clean up the tone, I’ve even used one of snare for full amplified gigs in bright rooms.

Olrocker

Reaction score
I use L80 Zildjian cymbals and it seriously quiets the kit.

My fun trick is to play mesh heads with reso heads on. You do get implied sounds. I use the Roland trigger/mics to amplify the sound.
Ditto. Works like a charm (I use open-back headphones so I can hear the triggers and the L-80s).

lemonslush

Reaction score
Some woods have more low end then others so I would start with something brighter with more attack. Bass is what travels and removing low end will help reduce volume. I would go with a birch kit as they record great and have less low end compared to maple or babinga. Next smaller shells generally have less low end and using all solid heads top and bottom, so no ports. If you can muffle your bass drum it will cut out lots of noise as its the lowest and loudest of the note frequency produced. I pack my kick full and it makes it rather dead. I then use a trigger when I need to hear more kick noise through my monitors. I also play metal so its very common. Adding batter head mutes helps also remove overtones and deadens the sound. Tuning your drums up also will help. Lots of small changes but they will equate to a decent drop in DB and vibrations. For cymbals try going with thin dark ones as they have a shorter decay and are 2-4 db quieter than a standard brilliant cymbal. Additionaly you don't need to hit them as hard. Using a stage with foam and rugs to help soak up more vibrations is also a great Idea. I covered my drum rooms floor with exercise interlocking matts then threw oriental rugs on top. As long as your double pedal and hi hat stand have velcro on the bottoms they should stay in place. Throwing some bass traps and acoustic panels ( not that foam stuff but actual acoustic panels) around the room helps keep reflections down and will make your in room mix easier to eq and slightly lower the volume output. liter sticks help keep noise down if you can manage it Closing all gaps in the room like using exterior weather stripping around doors and windows. Ideally you want to shine a flashlight around door jams on the opposite side of the door and not see any lite.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, what lemonslush said. Also thin towels layed over the batter head helps a lot. Plus it also helps build stamina in your wrist and hands. Changing the way you play also helps, practice using a lighter touch while playing. That will be hard to do with your style of music but not totally out of the question.

sherm