The Really Slow 1964 Gretsch Bop Restore

Hulakatt

Reaction score
A few years ago I managed to rescue a mismatched set of shells and Zildjians from a burnt out old hippie relative. In an effort to make the set look like one kit, back in the day he removed (and lost) all the reso heads/hoops/rods/claws and painted the shells all black with house paint. Underneath the paint was a Gretsch RB bass drum from 1964, a Ludwig Pioneer snare and Ludwig Club Date 12 and 14 toms, all from 1965. I've spent a lot of the time since then searching for orphan drums from those years to put together 2 complete kits as they would've been originally. I'm picking up the last orphan drum tomorrow to complete the Ludwig Club Date kit and I've had all the Gretsch shells for awhile now. The Gretsch shells have all been stripped, cleaned, interior repainted, rewrapped and bearing edges cleaned up (by Precision Drum in NY). The snare came to me after the other drums had been sent out for the new wrap so it still needs to be sent out.

The bass drum and the floor tom are now complete and I'm sourcing hardware (oh so slowly!) for the high tom. Once I build up some more funds, I'll send the snare shell out for the rewrap and then on to the Ludwig!

(The snare in the lower pics is an old Meazzi Hollywood dual strainer I was using to take the rest of the kit for a test drive, the Gretsch 4105 snare showed up after these pics)

Last edited:

Hulakatt

Reaction score
The Gretsch Bop kit is 20,16,13,14. The wrap is B&W Oyster.
The Ludwig Club Dates are 20,14,12,14. The intended wrap at the moment is Rogers Red Ripple. The goal in my head is the look of Max Roach's Meazzi Hollywood kit. Unfortunately, Hollywood's are prohibitively scarce around here and finding one in that Red Ripple is rarer than unicorn farts!

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Nice work, set looks great!
Thank you! I've always loved the Ringo Oyster but been put off by how overly common it was and I didn't want to come off as a Beatles fangirl. My heart is always drawn to those oyster finishes, there's just so much depth to them!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hula: While I dont like most modern wraps, I really like this one! You are right, the Ringo would have been too common/overkill. This one is unique and is nice.
Nice job, bro!

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Gretsch set looks GREAT!

Is the Club Date set wrapped or painted? Be careful if they’re painted, heads won’t fit with wrap on those shells.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
The Gretsch set looks GREAT!

Is the Club Date set wrapped or painted? Be careful if they’re painted, heads won’t fit with wrap on those shells.
Originally? No idea, they were stripped and painted in the 70's.

Heads are pretty tight on the Gretsches too, especially the bass drum but Aquarians seem to fit the best so far.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Really great work man. Those look great!
They have a modern wrap, but they somehow retain their vintage-ness. Love it.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Really digging these. Out of morbid curiosity, do you have any before pictures?
Here's the Ludwigs in the same state of abuse/neglect. The Gretsch bd was in the same state when it came to me but the Gretsch snare and toms were just orphans to complete the kit.

The wrap on the Ludwig bd is so nice I kinda don't wanna rip it off but I'm not sold on a red sparkle Roach kit.

Myk

Reaction score
Cool ol clubbies, lot's of work ahead if you're stripping the toms, I would think that it would look great in red with nickel hardware, nice vintage look:thumbleft:

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Cool ol clubbies, lot's of work ahead if you're stripping the toms, I would think that it would look great in red with nickel hardware, nice vintage look:thumbleft:
Is there really any vintage kit that doesn't look good in red sparkle? It always makes me think of vintage Ludwig specifically but I've never seen most sparkles look bad, particularly red!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bro, cover the toms in Red Sparkle. That set will look Stunning!! And that wont cost you much, either.

I wouldnt TOUCH that bass drum, its so beautiful as it is!!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those Clubdates are cool ..Is there a thread on them . If not , please make it so .

Latest posts