The Really Slow 1964 Gretsch Bop Restore

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Red sparkle all around. They will look awesome. Let us know how polishing all that nickel goes. I'll be curious to see what products you use!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Nice work. Great to see old goodies given some new life.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Those Clubdates are cool ..Is there a thread on them . If not , please make it so .
There will be when I actually start to work on them. The upside is that I need less parts than I already have than for the Gretsch kit :D, just some tension rods, one rim and heads I think.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will be when I actually start to work on them. The upside is that I need less parts than I already have than for the Gretsch kit :D, just some tension rods, one rim and heads I think.
Or you can sell them to me and save yourself the trouble !!!

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Or you can sell them to me and save yourself the trouble !!!
Sorry, it's a family kit. Came from my wife's uncle (who wanted to be Jim Gordon) and will mostly be played by my daughter after it's finished and if she keeps working hard with her drum lessons ;)

Besides, I love resurrections! I restore old tools, guitars, amps and drums.

Vibes

Reaction score
I love that wrap on the Gretsch drums. Really beautiful ! Just my opinion, and the hoops are very nice on the bass drum, but the natural hoops washes out the color on the bass. Black hoops would have really made the black pop on that wrap. imho. I would also go Red Sparkle on the Ludwig's. Red Sparkle screams vintage Ludwig.

Reactions: Myk

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I have a pair of black hoops too, I'll try them out when I get a new reso head for the Gretsch bd.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
that wrap inlay on black hoops would be to die for.
Unfortunately the hoops are modern Gibraltar hoops. Nice, solid and flat but no groove for an inlay. I'm not sure if one could be laid into them and I don't think I have enough of the wrap left to do it. I still have to wrap the snare as well.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hula....you can glue the inlay onto the flat hoops. It would look great!

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I swapped over to the black hoops this morning. Didn't care for it nearly as much. Went back to the natural hoops.

I will keep the black hoops on the Ludwig however.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I've always loved the Ringo Oyster but been put off by how overly common it was and I didn't want to come off as a Beatles fangirl. My heart is always drawn to those oyster finishes, there's just so much depth to them!
Where did you get that oyster wrap? I don't see it on Precision's web site. It looks similar to Slingerland white tiger.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Where did you get that oyster wrap? I don't see it on Precision's web site. It looks similar to Slingerland white tiger.
I found it on ST Drums site under the Delmar wraps and Precision Drum was kinda enough to order a few sheets for me, enough to wrap my drums and the snare when it came.

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bro, cover the toms in Red Sparkle. That set will look Stunning!! And that wont cost you much, either.

I wouldnt TOUCH that bass drum, its so beautiful as it is!!
I'm with Retrosonic, the red sparkle wrap on the bass drum looks great. I would just find a close new wrap to match the bass and rewrap the floor tom and the rack tom. That red POPS!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm with Retrosonic, the red sparkle wrap on the bass drum looks great. I would just find a close new wrap to match the bass and rewrap the floor tom and the rack tom. That red POPS!

It sure does. I hope the OP doesnt touch that Red Sparkle wrap on the BD, that would be a crime!

Hulakatt

Reaction score
OK, fine guys, I'll leave the BD and wrap the toms and snare in matching red sparkle!

Still gotta finish the Gretsch kit first though. Just got some more lugs and both hoops, just need 6 more small lugs, both mufflers and the tension rods for the high tom and to send the snare out for wrapping. Oh, I've been loving the 4105 6 lug snare but it really likes a deeper tuning with the 6 lugs and I stumbled across a decent deal on a 4157 "Band Name" 8 lug snare with a trashed wrap, coincidence? I think not! It's shipping its way to me now and I think the 8 lug snare will jam better with the higher tunings that this kit seems to really groove with.

Reactions: Myk

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Update:

I have everything finished on the high tom except a badge. Taking some time to ind the right one. other than that, done!

The wrap on the 4157 snare is so mesmerizing, I didn't have the heart to tear it off! The sound and tone of it fits in better with the rest of the kit than the 4105 6 lug does. I've been playing it with some of the early 60's A Zildjians I've been cleaning up, sounds pretty good together.