The redesigned A Medium Ride

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drumkiat said:
To others who have owned/played this cymbal, do you guys think it could do jazz for you guys?
Yes, the newer A Medium rides are mellow with a good amount of wash. Definition is good, but I would definitely not call them pingy. Plus they're quite crashable. Just a great all-around cymbal in my opinion.

SKLee

Reaction score
712drummer said:
Yes. I have played small group and big band jazz with the ride and it works fine.
Redbeard77 said:
Yes, the newer A Medium rides are mellow with a good amount of wash. Definition is good, but I would definitely not call them pingy. Plus they're quite crashable. Just a great all-around cymbal in my opinion.
What sticks/tips do you guys use on this cymbal? In my experience the stick tip can alter the definition of the ride drastically, which is obviously crucial for jazz. I find some tips unbearably pingy for jazz, and some quite good.

I think I'm having a preference for barrel like tips on this cymbal for jazz. What about you all?

SKLee

Reaction score
Using Vic Firth sticks as comparison, I find the common stick tip such as 5A too harsh for jazz playing on this cymbal.

In my experience I prefer the tips on the Steve Jordan (SJOR) signature stick, or the Keith Carlock (SKC) signature stick. IMO they produce an attack on the cymbal that is a lot less cutting, and much more suitable for jazz IMHO.

Gerry, the SD4 certainly looks the part for me! Do you find that there's a difference between that stick and your others?

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zenstat, for your records, i picked up a redesigned 20" A Medium ride today, weighs 2290g ,,, sounds nice, not a million miles away from my 602 medium reissue.
I'm guessing that weight is more on the heavy side for the redesigns ?

Anyone else still playing one of these are how heavy is yours ?

Last edited:

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I never had any luck with the 80s/90s A cymbals floating around. The redesign is great. The ones I've tried really impressed.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Comparing mine more closely with a 602 medium ride, they have many similarity's , good stick to wash ratio, but the A has a certain smokiness to the sound and has more "vibe" or "soul",, the 602 is a cleaner , more glassy refined sound. each has their place but zildjian makes me want to keep hitting it :)
I'll need to play lots more varied rooms to see how each behaves, the 602 has been great for really large rooms and weddings,, add a 5B (instead of my usual 5A) and it carries the band.

Funny how i started with A's and seem to be ending up back at square one,, 18 thin crash, 20" medium ride and 14" new beats. job done.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The redesign is the best thing Zildjian did in 20 years, maybe 30. I mean, I bought a 20" Ping Ride and the thing is crashable! That's not something you could do with an 80's-era Ping. Their 18" Crash Ride is great, too.

Dan

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a newish 20 crash/ride which I recently sold.. took me a while to learn how to coax the sound I wanted out of it but I was still never 100% happy with it, and its bell was a bit too much compared to its ride capabilities.
The medium suits me much better.

stevil

Reaction score
The redesign 24" A Medium Ride makes me smile whenever I play it. It does everything I want a ride to do.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the 22 redesign and just didn't like it at all. It seemed significantly heavier than medium, the crash was incredibly gongy and the ping was overwhelming.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to check the A redesigns out. A’s sucked so hard for so long I’ve frankly ignored new ones for years.
You should , i too had turned my nose up at A's for years but these new ones are different.

I briefly tried some redesign new beats which were very nice but i slightly preferred my 70's ones, the new ones sounded a little zingy to me, I'm sure they would darken a little with age and probably sound perfect after a little patina, sweat and grime got on them.
I've heard some 80's new beats and they were also really good .

The 20 redesign medium i got is a really nice cymbal, real depth and character,,, I'm really very pleasantly surprised by it,,,, I've bought and sold countless vintage A's in the search for "the one" but if i was in the market for a good A , I'd be looking at these new ones.
The medium i got has been run in for me with a good bit of patina and sweat/grime on it already,,, brand new I'm guessing it might have been a hair brighter sounding.

I will say i was a little disappointed with a modern 20 crash/ride i had for a bit,,,much prefer the medium ride.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the 22 redesign and just didn't like it at all. It seemed significantly heavier than medium, the crash was incredibly gongy and the ping was overwhelming.
I don't suppose you remember the exact weight of that one ? I guess some dogs still manage to escape .

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I will say i was a little disappointed with a modern 20 crash/ride i had for a bit,,,much prefer the medium ride.
Funny, it´s the other way ´round for me. I had a 2015 20" Medium Ride that was rather nice but never really spoke to me. Sold it, missed it, gave the Crash Ride a try, and bingo - the sound I was looking for. A little darker, a little more delicate, and a warmer crash. Excellent cymbal.