The return of Ming/Mair drums?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of us remember the frenzy over Ming snare drums, low-cost fiberglass and carbon fiber drums sold on eBay for very reasonable prices. They dried up at some point, and changed their name to Mair around the same time.
Sure, I know they never went away. But as far as I know, they weren't available here in the US for some time. I recently came across their website and sent them some questions, which they did answer. Today I came across two listings for their "Pure" series fiberglass snare drums on Amazon. Now selling for $334!

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I bought my Ming Pure snare for just over $100 back when they first started being talked about here on the forum.
It was well worth that price, but I don't think I would be interested at over $300.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, like many things that have caused a buying frenzy around here ( Sonor Ride cymbals, Ming snares, NOS Slingerland brass shells, natural maple Slingerland snare, etc...I bought into all of those) I think a lot of it has to with price. All of the above were around a hundred bucks or less. It's like "why not?". The "no-brainer" sort of deal. I bought two Ming snares at just over a $100 each. Haven't done all that much with them but they seemed like really nice drums for the price. Possibly worth the $300 current price but hard to get as excited about it at that price level.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool to see them become available in the US market and easy to get through Amazon. Deliivery time is only a week, too. The Ruby Red and Lake Blue finishes are really nice looking but that badge should be about half the size.

I think even at $335, they're still a good deal but not great, and I hope they Don't catch on so there might be some blowout deals on them again. Then again, if sales go well enough, we might see full kits and more snare sizes available. Mair deserves a place among the mid to high-ish level drum builders in the market. From what I remember, they offered decent sounding cymbals for awhile, as well and they might have them again.

At present I would not buy a Mair drum since I already have a Ming Pure ($100) and a Ming Special Force ($85) that are both very good drums. I think they're much better than some give them credit for.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I know they never went away. But as far as I know, they weren't available here in the US for some time. I recently came across their website and sent them some questions, which they did answer.
What were your questions and the answers? Inquiring minds wanna know.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like that Ming snare, been playing it a lot during Covid (mostly for my 4 walls to hear). For the $99 or whatever it was, it was a great deal.
I have the red fiberglass one. I replaced the snare wires and heads.. Good to record with, has a great pop, good tuning range, can be sensitive too, and not ringy.

Had some issues with the tension rods coming loose, used plumber teflon for that. Strainer has been good and remains smooth.
I notice that the bronze (or whatever they used) coating on the hoops is coming off at about where I hit rimshots, but that is more of an aesthetic issue than anything else.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have a few new snare models including a Walnut shell. I didn't think they'd venture into wood drums, but they have and that would be a drum worth hearing, I think. If the price point isn't bad, that could be a nice drum.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
What were your questions and the answers? Inquiring minds wanna know.
I actually would have to try to find the specific conversation, may have deleted it after getting the 300+ price quote. I was asking them about differences in the shells/models and then asked for a price on the one I was interested in.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have some nice looking drums with interesting features.
Anyone see the Ferris Wheel Kit?
Shells made of Mersawa wood, and the mounts and rack allow them to be rotated 180 degrees so you can change either head without removing them. (including the bass drum).
Useful? I don't know, but my kits don't do that.

Last edited:

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting, they have some hardware with carbon fiber, and some with fiberglass... with dbl braced legs though... No weights are listed.
Also have raw shells too.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many of us remember the frenzy over Ming snare drums, low-cost fiberglass and carbon fiber drums sold on eBay for very reasonable prices. They dried up at some point, and changed their name to Mair around the same time.
Sure, I know they never went away. But as far as I know, they weren't available here in the US for some time. I recently came across their website and sent them some questions, which they did answer. Today I came across two listings for their "Pure" series fiberglass snare drums on Amazon. Now selling for $334!

Ok, this drum on the page you linked to looks suspiciously like the Jenkins-Martin Blaemire re-issue drums.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I’m reading correctly, their flagship Vantage drum shells are made with carbon fiber with carbon fiber reinforcement rings. Interesting.

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I initially bought three Ming carbon fiber toms (5x10,12,14) in their Traveler series (i.e., short stack style) when they first entered the US market with their fiberglass snare drums. I combined them with my existing 20" Monolith carbon fiber bass drum to make a lightweight kit that soon became - and has remained - my primary drum set.

I subsequently purchased other carbon fiber drums one at a time, a la carte, as I could afford them (15x22,7x10,8x12,12x14f,14x16f) which gave me enough drums to create two full drum sets (20/10,14f & 22/12,16f) plus the 3 short stacks to use in place of the conventional sized toms when desired.

Because my initial drums were labeled Ming, the company kindly labeled all my subsequent drums as Ming even though they had changed the name of their drums to Mair by that time. They have been easy to work with, and I have been very happy with both their customer service and their drums. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I initially bought three Ming carbon fiber toms (5x10,12,14) in their Traveler series (i.e., short stack style) when they first entered the US market with their fiberglass snare drums. I combined them with my existing 20" Monolith carbon fiber bass drum to make a lightweight kit that soon became - and has remained - my primary drum set.

I subsequently purchased other carbon fiber drums one at a time, a la carte, as I could afford them (15x22,7x10,8x12,12x14f,14x16f) which gave me enough drums to create two full drum sets (20/10,14f & 22/12,16f) plus the 3 short stacks to use in place of the conventional sized toms when desired.

Because my initial drums were labeled Ming, the company kindly labeled all my subsequent drums as Ming even though they had changed the name of their drums to Mair by that time. They have been easy to work with, and I have been very happy with both their customer service and their drums. Highly recommended.

View attachment 488978
20 w/ 5x12,12x14f

View attachment 488979
20 w/ 7x10,12x14f

View attachment 488980
20 w/ 8x12,12x14f

View attachment 488981
20 w/ 5x10,5x12,12x14f

View attachment 488982
22 w/ 5x10-12-14

View attachment 488984
22 w/5x10-12,14x16f

View attachment 488983
20,22,10,12,14f,16f
Can’t see the bass drum tom mounting hardware very well. If I may ask, is it Mair hardware from the factory?

PS: Corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the Amazon blurb, the snares include a 3 year warranty. That and all the new stuff, inlcuding hardware and new kits, and I'm impressed.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I grabbed a fiberglass Ming Pure for $125 when they were all the craze here and love mine. I like it a lot better than many drums for which I paid a lot more. Used it on this track:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t see the bass drum tom mounting hardware very well. If I may ask, is it Mair hardware from the factory?

PS: Corrected.
The 20 is a Monolith (from Canada) which has a Pearl twin receiver on it. The Ming 22 is a virgin. All the toms came with standard mounts for legs and tom L-arms. I specified those mounts when I ordered the drums, but they can also supply them w/o mounts, if you wish. Here are a couple shots of the 8x12 and the 12x14 floor tom:

OriginalTom-VT1280.jpg

IMG_4557.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they have a distributor in the United States..

maybe that's why they (seem to fly under (or in and out of) the US radar)something seems 'remote
altho Cribbon seems fully loaded (with them. impressive