The return of Mod Orange!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Might be the photo but I see very little of the lavender (purple) in that version from Walopus.

All these various version of this wrap under discussion come from Delmar. Except, of course, the Walopus or Bum Wrap versions which are computer printed wraps made from scans of one of the original wraps.

The thing that strikes me about Ludwig's latest version of the wrap is it seems that they didn't put enough yellow in it which skews the overall color a bit darker as it is a mix of dark orange and lavender whereas the original was more orange and yellow with lavender highlights. I still believe it is as close as anyone has yet come to recreating the original...so far.

here's a close up of some unfaded original 70's M.O.

View attachment 442176
One thing we're all learning [and realizing] is that Mod Orange wrap has so many variations from original to all the reissues, and yet they are essentially all different enough to be unique.
The Walopus does have purple in it, but I agree there isn't much.
Where I work we have the current Ludwig wrap on a couple of snare drums. I see it every day when I work. I STILL prefer the overall look of the Walopus. No, it's not "better". It's just different.
And I'll say it again...after all these years and all of our advanced technology, why can't Ludwig come up with a reissue MO wrap that ACTUALLY looks like the 1960's version??? (Yes, I know, we've discussed this concept before!)
Here's pics of my rewrapped Ludwig Supreme snare, using Walopus wrap. And no glue.
Stretch

Attachments

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Always loved this picture of Jerry Jenkins Blaemire/Ludwig tribute build from 2008. He used Jammin Sams wrap. B)

99967D27-9093-4028-8C2E-BD001F808347.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
And I'll say it again...after all these years and all of our advanced technology, why can't Ludwig come up with a reissue MO wrap that ACTUALLY looks like the 1960's version??? (Yes, I know, we've discussed this concept before!)
Here's pics of my rewrapped Ludwig Supreme snare, using Walopus wrap. And no glue.
Stretch
The process of making the colored portion of these wraps is all done by hand and the folks that did it in the 60's and 70's are long retired (at the minimum). This part of the process is done in Italy (Delmar creates the finished product but the actual mixing of the color component is still done in Italy). So it's a process where modern technology doesn't really offer much aid. Environmental concerns also play a part in why they can't perfectly recreate the old wraps but it seems mostly a matter of the skill set that existed 50 years ago is no longer there. As I understand it drum wrap represents such an insignificant amount of their overall business that they probably aren't willing to devote a lot of R&D to recreating exact replicas of old wraps when they can easily produce something that is deemed close enough by most.

Latest posts