The return of Mod Orange!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
yetanotherdrummer said:
Here is a video that Ludwig posted of John Densmore with his new Ludwig Mod Orange set.

Pretty cool video. Boy the questions I would like to ask him! John played a Gretsch WMP 20,12,14 for the first three albums but the mod orange was used on the last three albums with Morrison. Possibly the two Doors albums after Morrison dies as well as the butts band albums.

Holding that original 14" drum in my hands knowing the history behind was pretty damn cool!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doop

Reaction score
wflkurt said:
Here is a video that Ludwig posted of John Densmore with his new Ludwig Mod Orange set.

Pretty cool video. Boy the questions I would like to ask him! John played a Gretsch WMP 20,12,14 for the first three albums but the mod orange was used on the last three albums with Morrison. Possibly the two Doors albums after Morrison dies as well as the butts band albums.

Holding that original 14" drum in my hands knowing the history behind was pretty damn cool!
I feel like we've talked about this before, but I can't recall, and the question to Bun above about maple vs. mahogany reminded me ... do you think Densmore's original kit was maple or mahogany shells? I think the year ('67) would suggest mahogany, but Ludwig may have already been transitioning to maple by then (I think 1968 is considered the year they switched to maple shells).

I always assumed mahogany, but I thought it interesting that (according to the video) Ludwig made Densmore a maple kit, when perhaps his original was mahogany, and Ludwig offers that option.

What do you think, Kurt? Did that tom feel like mahogany or maple to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It's hard to know but I would think mahogany. It has the white paint inside so it was hard to know. I also did not try to man handle the drum too much just because I was trying to be respectful of what it is. I know from the badge that it looks like it was made in the earlier part of 1967. I'm thinking that the down beat set that John had was one of the earlier sets in mod orange that Ludwig made. I still don't know where John picked up the set but am inclined to believe that it may have been the Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood. Considering the amount of Ludwig drums they sold I would not be the least bit surprised if some of the first mod orange and psych red sets were shipped to a hip place like Los Angeles CA. I also wonder about this pic of studio legend Jim Gordon that was taken at the Pro Drum Shop in the summer of 1967. In the background on a shelf is what looks to be two down beat sets, one in mod orange and the other in psych red(hard to tell though as the mod orange is hidden and the psych red bass drum looks like it could be a 22"). Smaller sized drums were also still popular in 1967 before Carmine and Bonham came around so I can see Ludwig making some of the earliest sets in these two colors down beat sets. Hard to know for sure but if you think about Ludwig building the sets in May or June of 1967, the sets showing up at The Pro Drum Shop by July/August of 1967 and John getting the set in Sept 1967 this could make perfect sense to me. John used his mod orange set at the Village theater in NYC though so I have also thought that the set could have come from Manny's music. John never liked to use bottom heads so the pic of him playing the set at the Village theater in Sept 1967 must have been right when he got the set as even the original front logo head is present. By the following week when the Doors played Ed Sullivan, the front head was gone and a little later the bottom heads followed.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I will add this too. I find it surprising that the Doors went on national TV before they became a household name and John did not have a Doors logo head on his set. Given the enormous success the Beatles and Ringo had on Ed Sullivan you would have though for at least one performance that John could have put up with a front head with the Doors logo on it. He used one later for TV.....

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone know what Mod Orange wrap Sakae was using on the Trilogy series? View attachment 442105
That looks like it might be the stuff that Jammin Sam sells, which was Ludwig's second stab at a re-issue of the wrap. Ludwig only used it on their Element SE sets (I have one). Not sure if Sam bought out all the leftovers and there was a lot of it or if he is still having new batches made up as necessary. The colors are right but the pattern is "splotchier" than the original was. The new version (I have a set in that as well) is more wavy but still not quite perfect (as far as matching the original pattern).

Of course Sakae might have had their own wrap made up so this might be a 4th reissue (original, computer generated Ludwig version around 2004, Element SE/Jammin Sam version, current Ludwig version, ?). Hard to say for certain, batches vary as do sheets from the same batches. It all depends on how they mixed it together on the day they made it.

20190601_201650.jpg
DSCN2060.JPG

Heyleuck

Reaction score
That looks like it might be the stuff that Jammin Sam sells, which was Ludwig's second stab at a re-issue of the wrap. Ludwig only used it on their Element SE sets (I have one). Not sure if Sam bought out all the leftovers and there was a lot of it or if he is still having new batches made up as necessary. The colors are right but the pattern is "splotchier" than the original was. The new version (I have a set in that as well) is more wavy but still not quite perfect (as far as matching the original pattern).

Of course Sakae might have had their own wrap made up so this might be a 4th reissue (original, computer generated Ludwig version around 2004, Element SE/Jammin Sam version, current Ludwig version, ?). Hard to say for certain, batches vary as do sheets from the same batches. It all depends on how they mixed it together on the day they made it.

View attachment 442106 View attachment 442107
They definitely used Delmar drum wraps

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I think out of all the mod orange reissues, Jammin Sams got the colors just right. I have looked at mod orange reissues from just about everyone and nobody has totally nailed factory fresh mod orange that is not faded. Jammin Sams looks great but the striations are too short and busy. They are like that on their citrus mod and psych red too. Bumwrap has the striations just perfectly but the color is not as vibrant as jammin sams. The one Bumwrap nailed was citrus mod. I needed some of that to make inlays for my 1971 citrus mod set and you can't tell the difference.

The current Ludwig version looks nice but it still seems a little choppy to me. Actually I have seen a few different batches and some look better than others. I'm not sure if they correct things in the more current offerings but I have seen pics of some that look better than what I saw when it first came out. It's really too bad that those original colors were prone to so much fade. They were so cool when they were brand new. I can handle faded mod orange much better than psych red. I'm not a fan of faded psych red as the green in that color is hat makes it so cool mixed with the other colors. Psych red with no green is like eating a cookie that someone forgot to add sugar to when they baked it IMO.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like the current Ludwig reissue Mod Orange based on Bun E's pristine tom from the 60s....one of the key things in that wrap is having some purple. I'm wondering if Ludwig will reissue the Psychedelic Red wrap in a faithful way. My guess is yes.

Last edited:

joihjoll

Reaction score
Not sure if you are wrong, but I know for a fact that Delmar supplied Sakae wraps
i know, just got a reply from Delmar today.

„This was a custom item that was produced exclusively for Sakae. It is similar to other Mod Orange wraps but we made some changes just for them."

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
My favorite reissue Mod Orange wrap is from Walopus. Personally I think it's the closest to the original so far. although I don't know the source of where they get it from.
Stretch View attachment 442170
Might be the photo but I see very little of the lavender (purple) in that version from Walopus.

All these various version of this wrap under discussion come from Delmar. Except, of course, the Walopus or Bum Wrap versions which are computer printed wraps made from scans of one of the original wraps.

The thing that strikes me about Ludwig's latest version of the wrap is it seems that they didn't put enough yellow in it which skews the overall color a bit darker as it is a mix of dark orange and lavender whereas the original was more orange and yellow with lavender highlights. I still believe it is as close as anyone has yet come to recreating the original...so far.

here's a close up of some unfaded original 70's M.O.

MOD ORANGE SWATCH.jpg

Last edited: