The Rim Riser

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone use this and what has been your experience? To me, it looks like it would easily get in the way.

1574033200005.png

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I looked at it but decided against it. Mainly because I use wood hoops which gives me all the cross stick options I need....

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, there are several products like that out there, and IMO they get in the way more than their benefit warrants.

I get better results by choosing a batter hoop that has a great rim click sound, and refining my technique for the height of that hoop.

In my totally subjective opinion, the best rim click is from a hard wood hoop, followed by vintage NOB, followed by raw stainless (like Angel hoops) or raw brass/bronze.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Flip the stick around
Yes, please do. Using the butt end for cross stick playing (in my opinion) always has the best woody sound with or without a rim riser of any type.

I've been using the the Russ Miller version, called GroveWedge, for many years an love it; no longer in production. Getting in my way; well only if I want to play some rim shots for special effects. I never crank down the tightening screws on my stands. Using a memory clamp I'm able to turn the snare slightly so I can miss the Wedge then back again for normal playing.

I used it a lot in the days of playing Big Band style music and now playing Classic Country in almost every song. I'm surprised more drummers don't use them. I tune my snare to have a little bit of ring which I believe enhances the woody tone to a degree. Also if you are using Oak drum sticks, it's best to have the grain of the wood in a vertical orientation.

sherm

Last edited:

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I made one on my own out of solid maple and attaches on two lugs on a Supra 402. It doesn't get in the way for me, and does the job I intended it to do. I have a maple snare with maple hoops and love the cross stick sound with the stick turned around using the butt end. When I used my Supra 402 I wasn't getting as fat a cross stick sound for country tunes as I was with the maple hooped maple snare so I just made one and used all chrome hardware and fasteners that I purchased from a custom Harley motorcycle shop here where I live.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I made one out of a 60's Slingy bass drum reinforcement hoop, made it adjustable so that it fit 14" snares with a 6, 8 or 10 lug config, and it was cool but really useless. Cost me nothing, though, adn I would have certainly made more had I not thrown that bass drum (& R. hoops) away....dang!

I agree, the best is the butt end of a stick. I just can't switch a stick fast enough sometimes......

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I use one on my 10” snare on my suitcase kit as it’s tough for me to get a good cross stick on the rim of such a small drum.
I fly the snare off the suitcase instead of a separate snare stand which is why I use a small snare.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I use one on my 10” snare on my suitcase kit as it’s tough for me to get a good cross stick on the rim of such a small drum.
I fly the snare off the suitcase instead of a separate snare stand which is why I use a small snare.
I would really like a pic of your kit. I am in the process of building one and need all the ideas I can get. I will start a thread soon but your pic would help me.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I would really like a pic of your kit. I am in the process of building one and need all the ideas I can get. I will start a thread soon but your pic would help me.
I'll pm you some pics.
There are some threads on here about Suitcase Kits. Some like them , some don't see the point. To each their own.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I've got a wood hoop on one of my snare drums....

...what I've noticed is that the sound doesn't get any "woodier", but (at least in my case) you get a "bigger" sounding click. More full and resonant......and yes, flipping the stick around can do wonders as well ( ;) )

Elvis

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I've got a wood hoop on one of my snare drums....

...what I've noticed is that the sound doesn't get any "woodier", but (at least in my case) you get a "bigger" sounding click. More full and resonant......and yes, flipping the stick around can do wonders as well ( ;) )

Elvis
Yes! Did the same thing and eventually took off the wood hoop. It was fun for a time.

Latest posts