The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "Hates Toto's Guts!"

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toto guitarist and hair products enthusiast Steve Lukather was recently asked why the soft rockers aren't in Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I was about to call them a two-hit wonder, but I looked at Billboard and it turns out they have two extremely mellow No. 1 hits that I must have heard at some point, but have no memory of, "I'll Be Over You" (1986) and "I Won't to Hold You Back."

A word of warning, I'll post a link to the story, but please be aware the 63-year-old with dark black hair uses some beyond PG-13 language while discussing being shunned by certain quarters of the musical community.

"Because they hate our guts and have [since] 1978," he said. "Now, the interesting part about that is that for the first time in 43 years, I was just called to do an interview for Rolling Stone," he said in an interview to promote his solo album that was picked up by Louder.com.

"And I asked my PR people, 'Is this a setup?' Because they (four-letter expletive) on me in the Ringo [Starr] band. I'm in Ringo's band and they (expletive) on me. And then some other (three-letter expletive) clown wrote some horrible (expletive) about Africa, a song that was written in 1981 by the way. Okay. 1981 and it's still (expletive) everywhere."

"It's like herpes, it comes back when you least expect it, but at the same time, it's a golden nugget. But that's the golden nugget that the Satan person has, and they hold it over our heads now. And it's like they think we're only worth one song because they own it. And it's like, 'Dude, we got a lot of material.'"

In a 2018 article headlined, "How Toto’s ‘Africa’ Became the New ‘Don’t Stop Believin'" Rolling Stone writer Rob Sheffield described Toto's Africa as "ridiculous by definition."

Africa has enjoyed a cultural resurgence over the years, becoming a meme in its own right and finding itself at the heart of many an unlikely project.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The HOF hated Rush as well, probably moreso than Toto. They had to let Rush in after the people spoke, and rightfully so. No reason to keep Toto out either. Love them or hate them (I’m a fan of both bands), the history, musicianship, and body of work speaks for itself. Just my two cents...

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Toto guitarist and hair products enthusiast Steve Lukather was recently asked why the soft rockers aren't in Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I was about to call them a two-hit wonder, but I looked at Billboard and it turns out they have two extremely mellow No. 1 hits that I must have heard at some point, but have no memory of, "I'll Be Over You" (1986) and "I Won't to Hold You Back."

A word of warning, I'll post a link to the story, but please be aware the 63-year-old with dark black hair uses some beyond PG-13 language while discussing being shunned by certain quarters of the musical community.

"Because they hate our guts and have [since] 1978," he said. "Now, the interesting part about
Admittance to the HOF is not about sales, hits or chart performance. Otherwise Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Yardbirds & many others would not be members. Only Chuck Berry of those 3 had one Billboard #1 in 1972. It's mainly about the influence (Ramones, Fats Domino, Bob Dylan) on music itself & the development (Hank Williams, Ink Spots, Miles Davis) or sustainability (Beatles, Beach Boys, Talking Heads, Madonna) of rock & roll as a music type over their career.
That's been the biggest criticism of the HOF is that its not about hits. But if it was more about hits some of the most influential bands & performers like The stooges, Bill Haley, The Ventures, Sex Pistols, Isaac Hayes, Jimi Hendrix, Gene Vincent, Frank Zappa, would never make it.

When I had my technology company I used to be in Cleveland often & hung out a lot at the rock & roll HOF. Only thing open late on Wednesday nights. Even the displays are not about hits but musical influence.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
The HOF continues to stun me ( and alot of other people) on who does not get it, Toto should absolutely be in there. any hall of fame is about being among the best at what you do, Toto certainly is an example of that.

And yes just like baseball hits should count.....not the only factor but one of them.

Where is the J Geils Band, Steppenwolf ? ...not in the Hall.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worrying about it. A lot of great stuff isn't memorialized by that organization. That thing, as well as any of the awards that are given out just seem like popularity contests and don't really seem to have much to do with the actual quality of the thing that they're considering. I can't imagine that if I were ever musician in a band that was touring the world, playing music that I was excited about and making a good living that I would care very much about being honored by any of these groups.

Toto is the odd band that I will never like a bit of and yet I can really appreciate the drums on that stuff. Porcaro really was a great drummer and the drum parts that he created for those songs are truly fine, in my book... even if it they don't really help me to enjoy the overall package at all.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
For me, Toto is an example that great musicians do not always make a great band.
Aaah, I don’t fault them nearly that bad.

For me Toto is an example that excellent instrumentalists, excellent arrangers, excellent vocalists and excellent production can sometimes make for a nice catalogue of songs, no matter how poor they all are as lyricists.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I'm not even a fan, but Toto has made some awesome music. Who hasn't gone for that high harmony in the car? Be honest now...

HOF: I don't care even a little.

But Toto's cool. If i could be in a band that made an album half as cool as Toto IV, I'd be thrilled.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me, Toto is an example that great musicians do not always make a great band.
And to add to this:
Though I don't "hate them with a passion," and even like them once in a while, I've got to tell ya guys, they are NOT a rock band in the first place. But here, I'll show that I respect their work effort and skills:
They are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very, very, very, and very good MUSiCIANS. Like their fathers before them, they are well-studied Hollywood musicians. They are jazz-pop musicians who play at being rock musicians. They should have been a jazz fusion band like the Yellowjackets or Robben Ford (who I really like).
In the same way that Steely Dan (who I really, REALLY like), should not be in the HOF, neither should Toto. If Toto's in there, well next stop ABBA (who I might like as much as Toto).
I absolutely agree with the poster here who said Africa is the next Don't Stop Believin'. It's really hard to take those lyrics seriously. They are inane, and that's why the hipsters make fun of them. Doesn't Weezer have a cover of Africa?

exliontamer

Reaction score
Toto has been a ghost band on so many things and changed the entire studio scene and approach. Taking the R&R HOF for what it is(pomp, mythologizing, nostalgia, etc.), Toto absolutely deserves a spot.
In terms of sheer influence on music in the widest and heaviest way possible, and yes I feel like I could make an objective argument that they've had more of impact on music as a whole than The Beatles, Kraftwerk is the band that really deserves to be in there.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And to add to this:
Though I don't "hate them with a passion," and even like them once in a while, I've got to tell ya guys, they are NOT a rock band in the first place. But here, I'll show that I respect their work effort and skills:
They are very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very very, very, very, and very good MUSiCIANS. Like their fathers before them, they are well-studied Hollywood musicians. They are jazz-pop musicians who play at being rock musicians. They should have been a jazz fusion band like the Yellowjackets or Robben Ford (who I really like).
In the same way that Steely Dan (who I really, REALLY like), should not be in the HOF, neither should Toto. If Toto's in there, well next stop ABBA (who I might like as much as Toto).
I absolutely agree with the poster here who said Africa is the next Don't Stop Believin'. It's really hard to take those lyrics seriously. They are inane, and that's why the hipsters make fun of them. Doesn't Weezer have a cover of Africa?
ABBA has been in the RRHOF for ten years.