The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "Hates Toto's Guts!"

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admittance to the HOF is not about sales, hits or chart performance. Otherwise Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Yardbirds & many others would not be members. Only Chuck Berry of those 3 had one Billboard #1 in 1972. It's mainly about the influence (Ramones, Fats Domino, Bob Dylan) on music itself & the development (Hank Williams, Ink Spots, Miles Davis) or sustainability (Beatles, Beach Boys, Talking Heads, Madonna) of rock & roll as a music type over their career.
That's been the biggest criticism of the HOF is that its not about hits. But if it was more about hits some of the most influential bands & performers like The stooges, Bill Haley, The Ventures, Sex Pistols, Isaac Hayes, Jimi Hendrix, Gene Vincent, Frank Zappa, would never make it.

When I had my technology company I used to be in Cleveland often & hung out a lot at the rock & roll HOF. Only thing open late on Wednesday nights. Even the displays are not about hits but musical influence.
that is important there ^^

ABBA may have influenced something
probably on a Social level.
(not kidding necessarily)
something EU/Danish..
legalizing prostitution or something

Last edited:

itsjjp

Reaction score
The Rock & Roll HoF lost me years ago when I realized they selected bands that simply aren't R&R imo. It's a shame imo, to call it what it is but to have it be something very different. I don't get it, so for Toto I say screw the HoF. Their legacy speaks for itself.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
that is important there ^^

ABBA may have influenced something
probably on a Social level.
(not kidding necessarily)
something EU/Danish..
legalizing prostitution or something
Abba resurrected the Pop Vocal group & one that wrote a lot of their own songs, which is why they were inducted. A slew of vocal groups came up because of Abba.

People here may not consider Abba part of Rock & Roll but there have been many styles over the decades. Rockabilly. DooWop. Beach (Beach Boys, Jan & Dean) Music. Motown. Rythm & Blues. British Invasion. Psychedelic. Folk. Disco. Funk. Pop. Metal. Southern Rock. Progressive Rock. Electronic. Krautrock. It is not defined only by Today's opinion.
And many bands & artists from even outside the scope of Rock & Roll were highly influential on Rock artists which is why Hank Williams, Jimmie Rogers, Miles Davis & others were inducted.

varatrodder

Reaction score
Last I checked Link Wray is not in the HOF. Let that sink in... The man that invented (or at least popularized) the power chord is not in the HOF. If the HOF is about those who influenced R&R, then Link Wray should have been #1.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last I checked Link Wray is not in the HOF. Let that sink in... The man that invented (or at least popularized) the power chord is not in the HOF. If the HOF is about those who influenced R&R, then Link Wray should have been #1.
He's been nominated twice (2014 and 2017), but never made it in. "Rumble" is in, though, in the first class of inducted singles.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
RnR HOF is to this day overwhelming influenced by the tastes and personal definition of what rock is of Jann Wenner... Though Chicago's induction and then Rush's would suggest that his influence is waning.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Admittance to the HOF is not about sales, hits or chart performance. Otherwise Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Yardbirds & many others would not be members. Only Chuck Berry of those 3 had one Billboard #1 in 1972. It's mainly about the influence (Ramones, Fats Domino, Bob Dylan) on music itself & the development (Hank Williams, Ink Spots, Miles Davis) or sustainability (Beatles, Beach Boys, Talking Heads, Madonna) of rock & roll as a music type over their career.
That's been the biggest criticism of the HOF is that its not about hits. But if it was more about hits some of the most influential bands & performers like The stooges, Bill Haley, The Ventures, Sex Pistols, Isaac Hayes, Jimi Hendrix, Gene Vincent, Frank Zappa, would never make it.

When I had my technology company I used to be in Cleveland often & hung out a lot at the rock & roll HOF. Only thing open late on Wednesday nights. Even the displays are not about hits but musical influence.
I never really thought about it, but if that's true than I have a little bit more respect for the RRHOF. I generally feel like awards for the arts are kind of silly, but if you are going to be giving rewards I respect the ones that focus on influence much more than just popularity. Some of the most influential were definitely not the biggest sellers. I'd argue for example, that Velvet Underground are among the top 5 most influential rock bands ever. John Coltrane is one figure that influenced the more jammy, psychedelic side of 60s rock a lot, particularly Santana and the sales figures on his records were tiny compared to sales in the pop world. 100s of pop type artists surely sold exponentially more and yet are mostly forgotten...

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't given the HOF more than a passing thought for years. The only time I think of it at all is when a thread pops up here. It's completely irrelevant to me.

I guess I understand why a band would want to have the honor of being in something called "hall of fame", but when I look at the decisions of their past I think it undoes much of the honor that could have been.

It's kinda like if there was a green beens hall of fame, and after a couple of years they had inducted a can of corn, some peas, celery, and two actual green beans (one canned and one frozen). The fresh green beans were nominated, but sadly didn't make the cut. Sorry, at that point I've lost interest in the green beans hall of fame.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
I never really thought about it, but if that's true than I have a little bit more respect for the RRHOF. I generally feel like awards for the arts are kind of silly, but if you are going to be giving rewards I respect the ones that focus on influence much more than just popularity. Some of the most influential were definitely not the biggest sellers. I'd argue for example, that Velvet Underground are among the top 5 most influential rock bands ever. John Coltrane is one figure that influenced the more jammy, psychedelic side of 60s rock a lot, particularly Santana and the sales figures on his records were tiny compared to sales in the pop world. 100s of pop type artists surely sold exponentially more and yet are mostly forgotten...
Exactly why Velvet Underground were inducted. Their record sales were poor. Many concert venues & promoters wouldn't touch them at the time.
Yet they had a huge influence on Rock & Roll and on many of its styles in several ways. Many of the early punk bands mentioned them as an influence. Moe Tucker's drum playing & rhythm was adapted by punk drummers as well as the Art Rock bands. There is also some progressive rock bands that cited them.. An article back in the 1990's with several bands that were early regulars at CBGB's said they would not have happened if not for Velvet Underground. Not just because of music but how the band operated with musicians switching on instruments, some not being highly skilled on instruments & doing less structured gigs.
This is why they were inducted while some bands that sold many millions of records. Some bands that also have been inducted were influenced by Velvet Underground. I dare say Debby Boone, Tiffany & others that sold many millions of records will never get inducted as they influenced no one.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I guess I understand why a band would want to have the honor of being in something called "hall of fame", but when I look at the decisions of their past I think it undoes much of the honor that could have been.

It's kinda like if there was a green beens hall of fame, and after a couple of years they had inducted a can of corn, some peas, celery, and two actual green beans (one canned and one frozen). The fresh green beans were nominated, but sadly didn't make the cut. Sorry, at that point I've lost interest in the green beans hall of fame.
EFEF51DF-8447-48AE-819B-DE4207F43CDB.jpeg

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont care if bands get into the HOF. It's a made up thing, controversy only helps publicize the event. The museum is fun and a worthwhile visit, imo. But the whole "will they or wont they" narrative is overdone and tiresome. Again, all in my opinion

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Exactly why Velvet Underground were inducted. Their record sales were poor. Many concert venues & promoters wouldn't touch them at the time.
Yet they had a huge influence on Rock & Roll and on many of its styles in several ways. Many of the early punk bands mentioned them as an influence. Moe Tucker's drum playing & rhythm was adapted by punk drummers as well as the Art Rock bands. There is also some progressive rock bands that cited them.. An article back in the 1990's with several bands that were early regulars at CBGB's said they would not have happened if not for Velvet Underground. Not just because of music but how the band operated with musicians switching on instruments, some not being highly skilled on instruments & doing less structured gigs.
This is why they were inducted while some bands that sold many millions of records. Some bands that also have been inducted were influenced by Velvet Underground. I dare say Debby Boone, Tiffany & others that sold many millions of records will never get inducted as they influenced no one.
I agree, but I'd go even further and say that not only did VU influence a handful of bands that came out of CBGBs and a few others but that they had an influence of much of the whole punk movement and particularly the music that came after that, post-punk. I'd argue that they had an influence on any band that had a droning, repetitive, hypnotic sound. I hear the kind of churning guitar sound of VU in the sound of the first few U2 records (but also to some extent in their later stuff) and U2, like them or not (I really only like those early records) are one of the biggest musical artists of the last 40 years. There are tons and tons of others too that I hear VU in. Some seemed to take just one VU tune as a template and run with that. Some folks took a big influence from the band yet, don't necessarily do too much that references their sound directly... and I would put Brain Eno in that camp, himself one of the most influential musicians since he started out in the 70s...

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't given the HOF more than a passing thought for years. The only time I think of it at all is when a thread pops up here. It's completely irrelevant to me.

What about Green Bean Casserole? I will never eat that again because my first wife thought she was a culinary genius from discovering how to make it! Wish I were kidding. I RUN if I see that at a table!

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this comes off strong but the RnR HOF is a total joke, always has been, always will be. And I'm not going to get into the reasons why, I just think it's illegitimate.

Last edited by a moderator: