The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "Hates Toto's Guts!"

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree, but I'd go even further and say that not only did VU influence a handful of bands that came out of CBGBs and a few others but that they had an influence of much of the whole punk movement and particularly the music that came after that, post-punk. I'd argue that they had an influence on any band that had a droning, repetitive, hypnotic sound. I hear the kind of churning guitar sound of VU in the sound of the first few U2 records (but also to some extent in their later stuff) and U2, like them or not (I really only like those early records) are one of the biggest musical artists of the last 40 years. There are tons and tons of others too that I hear VU in. Some seemed to take just one VU tune as a template and run with that. Some folks took a big influence from the band yet, don't necessarily do too much that references their sound directly... and I would put Brain Eno in that camp, himself one of the most influential musicians since he started out in the 70s...
You know the old saying: originally, only about 100 people bought the first Velvet Underground album, but they all started bands.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I see the RRHOF as a bureaucracy. The criteria for voting in an act seems quite subjective, and let’s face it, music is one of the most subjective things out there. Even if induction was based solely on record sales, it doesn’t mean an act or song was any good.

I for one started playing drums in 1986.... right around the time Toto released Fahrenheit with “I‘ll Be Over You”. I love that song, and really like that album. I was actually drumming to it last week. Hell, it’s Porcaro. But from a songwriting standpoint, it’s not a strong album. Their next album, “The Seventh One”, is the first album I started to really listen to the drums and is the reason I site Porcaro as my all time favorite drummer. It even had a couple of minor hits which, for me, are two of their best songs - ”Pamela” and “Can’t Stop Loving You”.

I think Toto definitely deserves induction. Africa and Roseanne alone are cultural icons. But Lukather is right, Toto has been around longer than most and did continue to contribute a lot even before their two benchmark hits. But after Porcaro died they became pretty irrelevant. But I don’t think that erases their staying power from the 70’s to the 80’s. It reminds me of the backlash they got after winning the grammy in ‘83.... haters are going to hate..... ”Roseanne” and “Africa” are amazing songs and many in the industry were just jealous (here’s looking at you David Foster).

Read Lukather’s biography and he goes into it a little....

Last edited by a moderator:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the RRHOF hate's Toto's guts then I have an issue.....what a cute little dog in a great movie!!!!
Now if it's about the b(l)and Toto...meh...
bt

T.Thorn

Reaction score
TOTO was great band. Great musicianship, great vocals. great live performances, great hits. - But no soul. I hear the description, " L.A. studio droids " a lot, even now. Maybe too much perfection ? In L.A. at the time it was all about "Product".

m.clover

Reaction score
Ha
The best story about Rush's hall of fame induction was Neil talking about Jan Wenner trying to tell everyone what tempo to play Crossroads in the mass jam.
Haha . Now that is funny. I can imagine that dilettante wannabe doing just that. The HOF should be renamed the Jan Wenner's House of Guys I Wish I was as Cool As.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
If the RnR HOF’s worst snub is Toto this would be concerning.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
They were horrible.
In the subjective realm of taste, that may be the case. But their influence is staggering, as can be seen by entire genres of music in which they are foundational. Two areas of rock music where they probably have had no influence: what they today call "Prog," and bands like Toto (highly skilled, etc.). There are others, too.

Me, for example - I like the VU quite a bit, but they are probably not an influence on my playing. I observe, also, that generation after generation discover and enjoy them, including many non-musician types.
Their influence extends beyond the music world, like them or not.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think that if I were a famous rock musician I wouldn't give the RRHOF a second thought. It's a joke. But I'm sure the desire to be recognized would eventually get me too.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think that if I were a famous rock musician I wouldn't give the RRHOF a second thought. It's a joke. But I'm sure the desire to be recognized would eventually get me too.
Would it be fair to surmise that fans are starting to not see the RRHOF the same way after years of snubs and questionable inductions?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be fair to surmise that fans are starting to not see the RRHOF the same way after years of snubs and questionable inductions?
Yes. The snubs are petty, and it's lost all meaning by inducting non rock artists. The latter is the worst part. By trying to be more inclusive, and presumably more relevant, they diluted their identity and became irrelevant.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know very little about the R&R Hall of Fame. But these arguments seem to come up every year with people advocating for and against bands or performers getting in. I get the impression it's evolved into little more than a cool kids table, even if it started out as something more.

Am I wrong? I'd really like to know. I'd also like to be wrong on this.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I know very little about the R&R Hall of Fame. But these arguments seem to come up every year with people advocating for and against bands or performers getting in. I get the impression it's evolved into little more than a cool kids table, even if it started out as something more.

Am I wrong? I'd really like to know. I'd also like to be wrong on this.
[/QUOTE
Kids is exactly right. No one gets into music to make it to the RnR Hall Of Fame, so why others feel the need to praise those who do, or defend those who aren’t in, is beyond my comprehension. What exactly does it do for anyone to care that their band gets in or not? As Sonny said in Bronx Tale, ‘what do you care that Mickey Mantle had a bad day at the plate? When you have a bad day does he give a s**t about you?’