The "Royalty" ride

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Paiste didn't try to one-up Sabian and issue their own version. I mean, geez, it's their product.

Dan

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe it's better for them (Paiste) to "bask in" the flattery..

.. oh sht pun unintended!!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the post! If this doesn't feel like CH at its best! great times for being a cymbalholic!

Roy Haynes with Stan Getz (with Gary Burton; is there any early footage of Chick?)

The trio in 2003:

The "Now He Sings" trio
plus some horn players ;) (too bad you don't hear the high-end of the cymbals, which means you almost don't hear the flat ride at all!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJyVXXWwDc

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I interviewed Roy once, he told me (what he thought to be) "the key" to the Now He Sings sessions. He said he and Chick rehearsed that music as a duo for a while, and then brought in Miroslav. Interesting, I can hear that. OK, back to that cymbal.

I have always said, (and I think it got back to the Sabian R&D guys through a friend who is a Sabian endorser,) that if Sabian screws this up they were idiots.

BECAUSE...

Years ago I had an older 18" HH Brilliant Flat that was THIN! That cymbal was (aside from my 602 Thin Flats, 18" and 20") the BEST flat that I had ever heard and (aside from my 18" 602 thin) the absolute closest cymbal that I had ever heard to the Now He Sings flat.

They nailed it years ago, and they didn't even know it. Once I got my BELOVED 18" 602 Thin Flat, that Sabian became an "extra." And someone begged me for it, they just really loved it, so I gave it to them. It was an AMAZING pie!!!!!

MSG

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Imitation sincerest form of flattery"

--------Paiste -------------------