The Seventh Biggest Rock Band Is Back with Troubled Drummer

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you guess this was about AC/DC?

I'm not sure what it means for a band to reunite at a time when they can't really play live, but I guess it's good that Phil Rudd is seemingly healthier. They're releasing a new album with vocalist Scrooge McDuck Brian Johnson -- and I'm also pleased that he's somehow overcome the hearing issues that forced him to leave the band back in (was it two years ago? Five? What is time anymore?).

From Variety: https://variety.com/2020/music/news/ac-dc-reunion-pwr-up-1234787666/

AC/DC Confirm Reunion, ‘Pwr Up’ Album on the Way

After several days of online hints and teasers, Australian high-volume rockers AC/DC have confirmed their return to active duty by announcing that veteran singer Brian Johnson, drummer Phil Rudd and bassist Cliff Williams have rejoined the band after several years’ absence.

A new photo of the band finds them looking older but energized, with lead guitarist Angus Young, now 65, still rocking the schoolboy outfit.

The term “Pwr Up” featured in several of the teasers is apparently the title of a new album, although the official announcement does not say when it might be coming. Twisted Sister Singer Dee Snider, a longtime friend of the band, said over the summer that the group has completed a new album.

*Footnote -- Seventh largest rock band in terms of U.S. album sales. Back in Black sold 50 million worldwide!

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before anybody else sez it...

Phil was arrested for drugs and "attempting to procure a murder" in 2014. The "procure" charge was dropped the next day.

Phil eventually did 8 months home confinement for the other charges, so he conviction couldn't have been too serious.

Glad to see AC/DC give him another chance. We all need a second chance in life sometimes.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And supposedly Johnson just needed time off to heal his ears and the band didn't want to wait. One side of the story at least. Not a band I follow anymore, but as mydadisjr said about Rudd, it's good to see both get a second chance. Both have strongly stamped their personality on the band.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
So they will carry on without Malcolm, interesting.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before anybody else sez it...

Phil was arrested for drugs and "attempting to procure a murder" in 2014. The "procure" charge was dropped the next day.

Phil eventually did 8 months home confinement for the other charges, so he conviction couldn't have been too serious.

Glad to see AC/DC give him another chance. We all need a second chance in life sometimes.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed he did a few years on a murder for hire conviction.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And supposedly Johnson just needed time off to heal his ears and the band didn't want to wait. One side of the story at least. Not a band I follow anymore, but as mydadisjr said about Rudd, it's good to see both get a second chance. Both have strongly stamped their personality on the band.
My understanding is that Brian hooked up with some technician who made special in ear monitors to allow him to perform live again without causing more hearing damage. And the cause of his hearing damage was actually caused by not wearing ear plugs while driving a race car in a charity race for some children's benefit.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I think Malcoms son has the spot .
How cool is that !!!
Is he good? Did anyone hear Eddie's son in Van Halen? Was that any good? I do not know. I gave up listening to them long ago.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he good? Did anyone hear Eddie's son in Van Halen? Was that any good? I do not know. I gave up listening to them long ago.
The Wolfgang bass gig is different he wasn’t replacing a family member .
I’m sure he was good enough , I really don’t know .

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything. I wonder if he was able to sing backup vocals like Michael Anthony. That was such a large part of the Van Halen sound.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of their older and bootleg material, the bluesy stuff. Anything after Back in Black, meh... not really interested.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why should they? It's their livelihood, and they still enjoy playing.

I’m surprised that I would need to explain that?

in the case of Motley Crue and AC/DC the singer’s voice are completely shot, to the point that it is painful to listen to them.

in the case of The Stones; they have become a parody of themselves. For example, you walk into a brothel in some Nevada backwater and find an 80 year hooker. She still loves what she does and technically, in line with your logic, can still fulfill the requirements, but....

Sometimes you can stick around too long and do serious damage to your own legacy.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting commentary from those who say the AC/DC guys have stayed too long at the party -- since virtually every member of bands from the classic rock era are in their upper 60s and 70s.