The Shelter In-Place Drum Studio Remodel

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi all - sorry for the long gap between posts. I don’t know how active YouTubers do it - take pictures and videos, and then organize, edit and create portable content while actually trying to get something done. :) So I’ve been trying to document - and will now try and catch up on some posting…

Treating the Ceiling -

Basically two different approaches for the two functional areas of the room - the control room end and the drum recording end. As the earlier drawing showed - the goal above the listening area is too minimize reflections. This will be accomplished by hanging three 2’x4’ broadband absorbers hung from the ceiling.

But the drum side of the room, we really don’t want to deaden to much. We certainly still need to bass trap and smooth out the frequency response, and we don’t want the mics to “hear” the walls bouncing back at them - as this will reveal in the recording just how small the room is. But we don’t want it dead either - because that also can sound “small”. So to that end on this part of the ceiling, we will be hanging an array of diffusors.

Diffusors scatter the reflections that bounce off their surface in a way that makes it much harder to pinpoint their source location. Which should fit the bill here - a bunch of lively reflections bouncing from an indiscernible wall (hiding that the wall is too close).

So I’ve had these Auralex T-Fusors and MiniFusors for quite awhile - and am re-purposing them for this new version of the studio. One problem with them is getting them to stay stuck to a wall - and even more so the ceiling.

To solve that problem and also up the design a bit - I’m going to first mount 1/2” plywood spaced 1-1/2” off the ceiling (with 2x4’s) and then actually screwing the diffusors to that plywood. The gap is actually purely aesthetic - the plan is install LED strip lighting on top of it’s perimeter to achieve an indirect cloud lighting effect when desired.

So in with the other wiring - I converted the original ceiling light to a switched outlet - so this lighting feature can be controlled separately from the wall switch.

So first was laying out the diffusor array design - after much measuring and drawing, seen here on the living room floor…

6a.jpg

Next was constructed the floating plywood piece - which I made in 4 sections. This made it doable (barely) for Anne and I to hold over our heads while on ladders and get it screwed into the 2x4’s.

6b.jpg
6c.jpg
6d.jpg

Then after finding all of the rafter locations - strategically mounting 2x4’s so they could screw into the joists while also being able to be able to support the array’s unusual shape.

And getting that first piece up was a nightmare - not because it was big, it was actually the smallest. But it had to place in exactly the right place - because the other three pieces butted right up to it. And that the big apex. 7 foot by 8 foot array just fit around the various fixed obstacle on the ceiling - vents, the joist placements, fire alarm, the corner bass traps, etc.

6e.jpg

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Once that first piece was in - the other three just fell into place. At least to the degree that odd shape pieces of plywood held over your he’d being screwed to boards you can see could be called “falling into place”. :)

6f.jpg
6g.jpg
6h.jpg

Then (the next day for sure) came installing the diffusors - which were all oriented in specific ways - screwed in place after first being stuffed with normal fluffy fiberglass insulation.

6i.jpg

This took a ridiculously neck-straining long time to get done, but we finally got it.

6j.jpg

This was all quite a few days ago - so there's more posts coming.... :)

KevinD

Reaction score
Wow, David thank you for sharing all of this. I really appreciate the amount of work you are putting in here,
and the attention to details. Great stuff!

gbow

Reaction score
I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll post this anyway in case someone is interested.

Here is a very nice, easy to build from off the shelf parts, diffuser panel.

gabo

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really nice job, your attention to detail really shows! Want to come work for me?? ;-)

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cant wait for the next episode. I have to convert a space in my basement for the same thing. I dont think I have 11'x15' to do it though.

chappy

Reaction score
Wonderful work! Would a thin (2"-4") frame like you built filled with fiberglass insulation or rockwool be sufficient for taming some reflections in a 19" by 19" room? Was looking at each frame being 6' square (one in front of kit, one above).

Thanks,
DCC

Latest posts