The Snare drum Holy Grail

rayboomboom

Reaction score
There are constant posts about snare drums: what's the best metal/wood; how many lugs; what brand, the best for jazz/rock/etc. So it's got me thinking. Is there a Holy Grail of Snare drums? There's only one made or one left, the One that has a mythical background, it's stored somewhere that only one person in the entire world knows about. Or maybe it's Dee Dee Chandler's snare drum in this pic

Dee Dee Chandler.jpg

Maybe it's the drum that, when the perfect press roll is played you reach some drumming Nirvana. :angel7:
I'm really only half way serious, but maybe not. Some of you who are collectors might know of that One coveted snare drum that everyone is looking for but can't find. I'm curious and need to have some fun with this. Why not, right?

afwdrums

Reaction score
Ringo's snare has got to be the most valuable snare on the planet...I don't know if that's what you mean by "holy grail" snare, but if you mean the most valuable single drum, that's gotta be it

to me, the 20's Ludwig's with the heavy 2-piece shells are the '59 Les Paul's of the drum world...they ain't exactly cheap, but they're pocket change compared to the "holy grail" for guitar players, '59 Les Paul's go for high 6-figures, at least...it's good to be a drummer sometimes

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A sensitive, FAT, dry aluminum snare.

I'm going between the Tama Starphonic (6x14), A Yamaha Recording Custom5.5x14, and a hammered Oriollo Phantom (5.5x14).

Haven't had a chance to play any in person. Recordings of the first two I've heard have varied, but I keep going back to them. Right now the Recording Custom is in the lead.

I'd love to order an Oriollo when the time comes, but I'm unfortunately still on the fence. In so many of the videos/recordings, it's more ringy than I would like.

Any thoughts from you guys on that?

rayboomboom

Reaction score
I would agree with the value of Ringo's snare. I guess what I've had in mind is the rarest of the rare. Like a Gladstone that went missing and has 'that' sound that no matter who plays it, it stands out as "Yes that's the sound I'm looking for' kind of thing.
BTW, does anyone know what happened to Dee Dee's snare drum?

afwdrums

Reaction score
I would agree with the value of Ringo's snare. I guess what I've had in mind is the rarest of the rare. Like a Gladstone that went missing and has 'that' sound that no matter who plays it, it stands out as "Yes that's the sound I'm looking for' kind of thing.
BTW, does anyone know what happened to Dee Dee's snare drum?

well, if you want the rarest of the rare, then Ringo's drum also qualifies pretty well for that...it's the only one he ever played with the Beatles, but even if you disassociate that snare from him, his drum has very very rare specs to it

if you're talking the snare that's got "that sound", then perhaps "the Terminator" comes to mind, it's a Tama Bell Brass...Drum Doctors has been renting that sucker out to session dates for decades...I'd love to see an accounting of how much that drum alone has made for Ross, it's gotta be an amazing return on investment

if you're talking about something more generic, then it's hard to argue against the Supraphonic LM400 as the one with "that sound" given the amount of recordings it is on

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are too many parameters to consider to pick one drum as THE Grail snare . Plus our tastes change as well as the musical situations we come to be in . One snare might not be suitable for another . Is there an All encompassing snare that covers everything ? Nope .

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I like jazzfest snare drums so I guess a Mod Orange jazzfest would be mine. I do wish I had an Oyster Black one too but unless the right yard sale comes along then I guess not....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to be an association with an event. Like the snare used at JFK's birthday party when Marilyn sang.
Or..
(if you can prove it)

phdamage

Reaction score
A sensitive, FAT, dry aluminum snare.

I'm going between the Tama Starphonic (6x14), A Yamaha Recording Custom5.5x14, and a hammered Oriollo Phantom (5.5x14).

Haven't had a chance to play any in person. Recordings of the first two I've heard have varied, but I keep going back to them. Right now the Recording Custom is in the lead.

I'd love to order an Oriollo when the time comes, but I'm unfortunately still on the fence. In so many of the videos/recordings, it's more ringy than I would like.

Any thoughts from you guys on that?
I would encourage you to check out a Gretsch solid aluminum. I bought it on a bit of a whim and it beats out some heavy hitters in my studio often

Reaction score
There are constant posts about snare drums: what's the best metal/wood; how many lugs; what brand, the best for jazz/rock/etc. So it's got me thinking. Is there a Holy Grail of Snare drums? There's only one made or one left, the One that has a mythical background, it's stored somewhere that only one person in the entire world knows about. Or maybe it's Dee Dee Chandler's snare drum in this pic

View attachment 525133

Maybe it's the drum that, when the perfect press roll is played you reach some drumming Nirvana. :angel7:
I'm really only half way serious, but maybe not. Some of you who are collectors might know of that One coveted snare drum that everyone is looking for but can't find. I'm curious and need to have some fun with this. Why not, right?

I'm just happy to know there is someone here (besides me) that knows who Dee Dee Chandler actually is!

As for the question I might guess a 6.5" Black Beauty two piece. I have a 5", and I have a NOB (non black beauty) 6.5 two piece (I actually two 6.5 NOB's, a Slingerland one piece, and a Ludwig two piece.) The 5" 1920's Black Beauty's are much simpler to find, but the 6.5's are pretty rare, and (although I don't actually have one) AMAZING!!!! My 6.5 two piece NOB is KILLER!!!!

I've said a million times here...
NOTHING (!!!) sounds like vintage 1920's NOB and combined with the two piece shell, it's a magical formula!

MSG

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me, the “holy grail” of snares fits into one of three categories:
1- a snare no one else has
2- a snare that has infinite personal value
3- a snare that sounds and plays perfect to “you” any and every time no matter what!