The Snare drum Holy Grail

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong on this, but I remember Drum Headquarters in St Louis having either Buddy’s Fibes kit or the snare. Marty Monson was the vintage/history go-to person.

I was at Steve Maxwell's NYC store in January of 2010. He had a "museum room" with kits, snares, and cymbals that had belonged to various famous drummers. On a shelf was Buddy's Fibes snare. I asked if it was
THE snare, he said that it was. I must have had quite the look on my face. My girlfriend Jackie (now my wife) asked, "What do you mean by "THE" snare drum?" I told her the story of the Fibes snare that he used. (And how Slingerland reacted.) Steve smiled and nodded. Jackie suddenly had the same look on her face that I did, which made Mr. Maxwell and myself laugh.

To me that snare IS the holy grail of snare drums.

I've always wanted to own a Fibes fiberglass snare drum.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
OMG! Those blue vistas . . . ! Always thought I liked amber best, but, that pic is just sexy!
One more for the road!
2772.jpg

rayboomboom

Reaction score
It's been really interesting to see what people think what is the HG of snare drums. Some kind of generic answers, some really interesting, like Carl Palmers Paiste snare, and of course Buddy's Fibes.

I guess this is ended up being "if you could have any snare drum in the world to either play or just own, what would it be?"

I haven't found, nor do I know, what MY HG Snare would be. I'll let you know if I find it though.

Keep the comments coming.

afwdrums

Reaction score
if we're talking about what would be my personal holy grail drum, for which I am completely unworthy of owning, it would be this particular 4x14 20's Black Beauty

1635530211375.png

story goes, William F Ludwig gave this drum to Gene Krupa, who then gave it to Big Sid Catlett, who then gave it to Papa Jo Jones, who then gave it to Billy Cobham...somehow it then ended up being sold by Marcia Cobham, Billy's wife at the time, to John Riley...Billy can only 100% confirm that he got it from Papa Jo, but that is the story that he was told about it's prior provenance...amazing drum with an amazing history

here's Papa Jo playing it

and Maxwell's story on it, he brokered the sale when John Riley sold it

Cableaddict

Reaction score
to me, the 20's Ludwig's with the heavy 2-piece shells are the '59 Les Paul's of the drum world...they ain't exactly cheap, but they're pocket change compared to the "holy grail" for guitar players, '59 Les Paul's go for high 6-figures, at least...it's good to be a drummer sometimes

Probably any 1920's - early 1930's brass snare is going to kill. AFAIK, they used a different alloy back then.
I have a crazy-rare 5.5" Slingy Artist, (Probably '30 - '32) which is the non-engraved version of the Black Beauty. It has a heavy, one piece shell. COB, not nickel, and it's just ridiculously nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxdje6wcq8dk1i6/ My Slingy Artist - Logo Side .jpg?dl=0

FWIW, I have retrofitted the correct throw off since this picture was taken. (That throw cost me more than the drum did, lol....)
- Yes, I know the hoops are still not correct. They are period-correct, but probably from the cheaper line. Been searching for the correct double-flanged ones for YEARS .......

----------------------------

As far as "grails" go, using the OP's definition & short of something owned by a famous player, the Slingy BB has to it it. What are there, maybe a dozen known to still exist?

(For the record, I've only ever heard of ONE other chrome 5.5" Artist, but they are not as famous as the BB, so there are probably lots of them around, just not on the internet.)

Last edited:

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Probably any 1920's - early 1930's brass snare is going to kill. AFAIK, they used a different alloy back then.
I have a crazy-rare 5.5" Slingy Artist, (Probably '30 - '32) which is the non-engraved version of the Black Beauty. It's chrome, not nickel, and it's just ridiculously nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxdje6wcq8dk1i6/ My Slingy Artist - Logo Side .jpg?dl=0

FWIW, I have retrofitted the correct throw off since this picture was taken.
- Yes, I know the hoops are still not correct. They are period-correct, but probably from the cheaper line. Been searching for the correct double-flanged ones for YEARS .......

----------------------------

As far as "grails" go, short of something owned by a famous player, the Slingy BB has to it it. What are there, maybe a dozen known to still exist?

(For the record, I've only ever heard of ONE other chrome 5.5" Artist, but they are not as famous so there are probably lots of them around, just not on the internet.)

That's just a neat as hell looking drum. Congrats on that!

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A sensitive, FAT, dry aluminum snare.

I'm going between the Tama Starphonic (6x14), A Yamaha Recording Custom5.5x14, and a hammered Oriollo Phantom (5.5x14).

Haven't had a chance to play any in person. Recordings of the first two I've heard have varied, but I keep going back to them. Right now the Recording Custom is in the lead.

I'd love to order an Oriollo when the time comes, but I'm unfortunately still on the fence. In so many of the videos/recordings, it's more ringy than I would like.

Any thoughts from you guys on that?
The Phantom is a great snare and there are so many ways to get rid of that ringy sound. I have a 14x6.5 and it’s been my favorite since I got it. You won’t be disappointed

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
steambent

preferably with a father and son video accompaniment

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is my opinion that there is no snare drum holy grail.

But by all means search.
heretic.
burn at the stake. would you like the stake to be one ply, 2 piece brass or ply?
standard Ming. acrolite, or mij.

MidiFinger

Reaction score
I've always used a 1982 Slingerland 14x12 Maple Snare on my kit, but I recently acquired a 1991 Ludwig 15x12 Maple... looking forward to giving that a try...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
was using steambent "as a word"... wasn't "calling you" (didn't even think of it! Hello tho!!
and..had just watched the father and son video in post #1 ->

Last edited: