The strong desire to play drums

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before I left ohio, I was playing around with my setup, specifically a secondary hi hat I had pickedup a few days prior.

It's funny because even while now on a small 5 day vacation in california (first time out west), all I can think about is playing the drums! It's to the point where I feel like leaving a couple days early from cali and taking off work just to jam on the kit.

The desire just never goes away!

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Before I left ohio, I was playing around with my setup, specifically a secondary hi hat I had pickedup a few days prior.

It's funny because even while now on a small 5 day vacation in california (first time out west), all I can think about is playing the drums! It's to the point where I feel like leaving a couple days early from cali and taking off work just to jam on the kit.

The desire just never goes away!
Don't cut your vacation short. Look for a bar or club where you can sit in. My wife and I were in San Antonio a few months ago and I found the opportunities to sit in with three different bands over the course of a five-day trip. Not only does that take care of the drumming need, it does so while meeting and playing with a new group of musicians.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
While in Cabo San Lucas last month, just couldn't take it. A good bunch of mariachis came by. Got talking music with them. They asked what kind I played. Tried to explain surf music to them, too much of a language barrier. Grabbed a water jug, and started playing "Wipeout". The guitarist grinned, and launched into it. The rest of them caught on, and it was pretty hysterical. Jammed on some other tunes. The added percussion kinda filled things out. They wanted me to go with them to the next stop. Probably shoulda. Made some of that vacation money back! View attachment 106617

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
The longest I've been away from my kit was about a week, and by the end I was itching to play again. I had set up some drums we borrowed for our wedding reception (my band played for about an hour). Since I set them up the night before, I played around for a few minutes, telling my now-wife "I have to get them set up right" so I could keep playing a little longer.

I agree with Dave; go find an open jam...I'm sure you won't have any problem finding one in Cali, especially if you're in SoCal.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Push comes to shove, rent a couple of hours at a local rehearsal studio and Bop till you drop!

John

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take a break. It might even help. After playing a heavy (for me) gig schedule for a couple of months I don't even pick up the sticks for a week. When I sit back down I feel like I'm floating effortlessly around the set. It doesn't last but it feels really great for a couple of days and I usually come up with some new (for me) riffs.

jaybeez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was driving in Lake Tahoe today and saw a roadside sign for drum lessons. Was tempted to call up, if to just spend an hour in drumming solitude.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I once took a practice pad kit on a camping trip in Yosemite, not so much hot to play, just wanting to be in shape for important gigs when I returned home.
Generally, the more I'm gigging, the more I want to play and the more I practice. I practice daily but, if gigs are slow, its less inspired and more to keep in shape.
I used to hate it when I couldn't practice for some reason and then had a gig. The saving grace was always that I came to the gig with that strong desire to play and , perhaps, a fresher approach than otherwise.