The Sublime Al Foster

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If anyone else streamed Small's last night, they saw a superb rhythm section: George Cables(b.11/14/44), Ron Carter(b.5/4/37 & Al Foster(b.1/18/43)
They were in full control and ageless, as is the music they played!
The leader, saxophonist Tim Ries merited their company... as did Gregoire Maret, a superb harmonica player, previously unknown to me.

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Foster is one motherf*cker of a player. Saw him up close and intimate during two snowy nights with Miles et al (Pete Cosey, Mtume, Dave Liebman & Michael Henderson) circa '73 in a small D.C. club. Had a meaningful (to me) encounter with Miles, but that's another story.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Foster is one motherf*cker of a player. Saw him up close and intimate during two snowy nights with Miles et al (Pete Cosey, Mtume, Dave Liebman & Michael Henderson) circa '73 in a small D.C. club. Had a meaningful (to me) encounter with Miles, but that's another story.
Al was 30 in '73.
I saw him in '86 at the Vanguard with Joe Henderson and Ron Carter. Al was 43 at the time. The trio was recorded that week, released as THE STATE OF THE TENOR
IN 2019 AL turned 76... and Ron Carter is 82! The music keeps you young... if you survive!

What It Is

Reaction score
The great Al Foster can play at all. Saw him with Joe Henderson in the '80's and it was a real lesson in taste and dynamics. Everything looks so smooth and relaxed and it comes out in his playing. Sits pretty low, too. I asked him about it and he just said he's comfortable at that height. Good enough!

Latest posts