The "Supraphonic" of wood snares

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My apologies if the title sounds a little click-baity. I am in the market for a wood snare drum. I'd like your opinions on what you feel is the ultimate wood snare workhorse, kind of like what the Supraphonic is to metal snares. The snare that kind of does it all and doesn't exceed let's say $700. Go!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well ... speaking as one who has never bought into the Supraphonic being the high bar for versatility ... I'm not sure my post will mean much.
With that said ... there really isn't a one shot - one kill wood snare out there.
The Noble & Cooley SS snares are about the closest I've come to a one snare do it all specimen. I've really not met much they couldn't handle ... but there were a couple of moments where they had to be swapped out.
Beyond that ...
There are some phenomenally versatile snares out there made by DW, PDP, Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, Rogers, Slingerland, Ludwig, and a ton of others.
Tough ... tough ... tough one to nail down precisely.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Brady Jarrah block in either 12x7 or 14x6,5 (or better, both).

Yamaha Maple Custom with golden lugs and the 8'' deep Recording Custom snare are also a classic sounds.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Classic Maple 14x6.5. This snare really does it all for me.
Yup, I agree with this and can also be found pretty damn reasonable in the used market..........

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Under $500, I'd recommend the Ludwig Classic Maple or a modern George Way. Over $500, I'd personally go with any German Sonor.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Classic Maple, Gretsch Brooklyn, Yamaha AMH, Tama Starclassic Maple

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Under $500, I'd recommend the Ludwig Classic Maple or a modern George Way. Over $500, I'd personally go with any German Sonor.
Any particular George Way model? I see they have the Aristocrat which is Acacia wood. I'm not really familiar with that Acacia.

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any particular George Way model? I see they have the Aristocrat which is Acacia wood. I'm not really familiar with that Acacia.
I haven't kept up with all the different models, but Dunnett's been cranking out new models every few years. At one time, I had 8 of 'em in various sizes, shells types and finishes, both because they were so inexpensive and that they all sounded great.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear and play wooden ply snares every night as backline and I honestly don’t hear a who lot of difference between them. We had Yamaha last night. I know that sound, a little bright and wet. We had a classic maple 2 nights ago that was weird. I didn’t like it much. Last week was a newer cheap Tama. Like a lot of guys here, I own a bunch of stuff

To answer the question, off the shelf of what I’ve played, I would probably agree with the Noble and Cooley as my first choice, and the George Way as the second.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Well ... speaking as one who has never bought into the Supraphonic being the high bar for versatility ... I'm not sure my post will mean much.
With that said ... there really isn't a one shot - one kill wood snare out there.
The Noble & Cooley SS snares are about the closest I've come to a one snare do it all specimen. I've really not met much they couldn't handle ... but there were a couple of moments where they had to be swapped out.
Beyond that ...
There are some phenomenally versatile snares out there made by DW, PDP, Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, Rogers, Slingerland, Ludwig, and a ton of others.
Tough ... tough ... tough one to nail down precisely.
I agree on the N&C 5x14 SS Maple. For about 20 years it was the only snare I owned. IMO this snare sets the bar and it can do any gig you need it to. I have 2 of them now.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Any drum that approximates an 8 ply Keller shell has consistently worked for me . I've tried any number of 10 plies and they don't . Gotta be 8 ply maple keller in thickness .

I had a 25th anniversary Yamaha maple custom that would fit your description . I shoulda kept it .

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let me add. The hoops make a HUGE difference in the sound. I hate die cast on snares, so that’s a consideration.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes I agree, hoops can be decisive ... and a lot cheaper than a complete drum .

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think heads, hoops and snare wires make up more than anything the sound. I've been enjoying my classic Ludwig 5x14 since adding wood hoops (Yamaha style). It's the older style 6 ply maple/poplar snare. Only thing I don't think I like is I have Puresound eq's on it right now and they aren't my choice, which is Canopus wires.

Latest posts