the swinging basie band....harold jones and butch miles

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With Rufus "Speedy" Jones in the early 60s. He takes a solo pretty late in the (full show) video. But the whole show is just amazing. So tight, so swinging. The connection between this and the "atomic" Basie band of the late 50s is clear.

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's nothing like the Basie Band on full blast. My position is that the original Basie rhythm section more or less invented rock and roll. I mean is there any difference between the shout chorus on a Basie/Jimmy Rushing blues tune and say an early 50s rock n' roll groove other than a more intricate horn arrangement?

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
speedy had some speed and power.

basie had all outstanding drummers , as he did all other musicians.

and why not, he was count basie , and he led the swinging count basie band.

one more time...one more once

The first time I saw the Basie band live was at George Wein's Jazz Festival at Cobo Hall in Detroit in 1967. Rufus Jones was the drummer and he was very much overweight at that time. Unfortunately his health deteriorated steadily after that until he was forced to abandon drumming. He passed away in 1990.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
harold jones 1974...

IMHO Harold Jones was the tastiest of all Basie drummers. I went to see the band when they appeared at a neighboring town. I had hoped to see him perform but unfortunately he was no longer with the band and had recently left to back up Sarah Vaughan. I struck up a conversation with one of the trombone players during the intermission. He said that sometimes he got so engrossed in what Harold was doing that he'd lose his place and fail to come in when he was supposed to.

makinao

Reaction score
I never actually saw the Basie Band until YouTube. But they are close to my heart because I played a number of Basie/Nestico arrangemeets in college in the late 70s.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 years back , i saw harold drumming for tony bennett.... throughout the show my eyes were locked on harold, and my ears on tony.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Basie has always been my favorite big band. IMO the only band that swung anywhere close was Thad Jones/Mel Lewis.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I met Butch Miles when the Basie Band played at Havre de Grace, MD High School. Super nice guy. We hung outside at the band bus during the break and had a great talk. They played two one hour sets and it was incredible.

Reaction score
In all respect to my friend Harold...
IMG_0112.JPG

...my favorite Basie drummer (right now) is Sonny Payne. I have been obsessively listening to the Count Basie & The Atomic Band "Live at the Crescendo, 1958." Damn what a great find, the Basie band has NEVER been recorded live this well, EVER!!!! I have also been watching th Jazz Icon DVD with Basie (and Sonny) a lot too.

I never heard Butch Miles with Basie, but he released a GREAT sextet tribute to Chick Webb wth Eddie Barefield that I LOVE!!!! My fave Harold Jones is the Sarah Vaughn "Crazy and Mixed Up," and the Paul Winter live record is really good too.

MSG

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
I read an interview with Jack Sperling where he talked about subbing on the Basie Band. He said it was one of his greatest thrills. He said playing with that band was like slipping on a pair of comfortable old shoes. After that, Basie pursued him for several months to become the regular drummer, but he was too busy in the studios. Jack was probably my first influence.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was around 14 my best friend and I went to see Basie, with Butch Miles. My mom dropped us off.
That show blew me away. I'd heard Buddy Rich's big band, but this was an entirely different organism. The groove and power. A wall of sound with each stone etched in mastery. No record can capture and big band. It's a live and personal experience. I enjoyed it so much more than Rich's band. Butch Miles oozed joy.

I recall having this dizzy and religious experience, the first time music so entranced me. A guy behind us was shouting when during the chorus of One O'Clock Jump.

Looking around, the auditorium had so very few people. For an instance I felt quite sad, as if I was watching the passing of something. But Basie and his band did not phone it in. They absolutely killed it.

My friend--who was also a drummer-- and I were so amazed; he turned to me and said: "We've got to meet that drummer." Butch was still on stage doing something and we just walked up and introduced ourselves. He was so happy to have these two kids come up and tell him how much they loved what he did. And then he said it: "You want to meet the Count?"

He led us backstage to some room where Basie was there with, I think, Freddie Green. I think Basie was opening a bottle of champage. Butch told him, "These two kids want to meet you." He smiled, probably because there weren't a lot of jazz fans in our age group. My friend couldn't really speak and I think I said something like "It's an honor, sir. I have all your albums..." Which was foolish becuase I didn't.

I shook Count Basie's hand. It was huge and felt like there were callouses.

Morello Man

Reaction score
With Rufus "Speedy" Jones in the early 60s. He takes a solo pretty late in the (full show) video. But the whole show is just amazing. So tight, so swinging. The connection between this and the "atomic" Basie band of the late 50s is clear.

Rufus “Speedy” Jones and Harold Jones were the best drummers Basie had. IMHO

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Harold Jones is #1 for me.
I grew up listening and practicing to a Basie album, “Standing Ovation.” Long since out of print in the US but can be found as a Japanese import. It was recorded in Las Vegas by Wally Heider in...’64?...
It oozes “Pocket” and “Swing”, elegantly.

Phil