The Synclavier - old stories and rumors

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing stories that a lot of the early and mid 80's drummers were replaced by Synclavier tracks. Is this true? I've recall hearing one of the Poison LP's was all Synclavier . Can anyone shed some light on this?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine it would be easier to program parts on a Synclavier that you could find a session guy to play. And there were easier ways to trigger samples, even then. So if they did it, it wasn't about saving money. Those things were expensive!

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the "new wave" artists from that era were embracing the Synclavier and the Fairlight in their productions. At the time it was predicted to be the the beginning of the end for live musicians. Rhythm tracks were now completely in the hands of (OMG!) GUITAR PLAYERS! (or even worse) KEYBOARD PLAYERS!

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was always a rumor, later some claims that Mutt Lange used a Fairlight to replace Rick Allen on Pyromania (and subsequent recordings)
Some of that, along with some stories of other bands doing the same was covered in the thread below.