The Ten Drum Sets That Changed Music Forever!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater Music has graced us with a Top 7 list of the Drum Sets That Changed Music Forever. Since seven is such an odd number, I've expanded it to the 10 Drum Sets That Changed Music Forever ahead of the article from Sweetwater.

What Additions Would You Make

The 7 (or 10) Drum Sets That Changed Music Forever

Ludwig Black Oyster Downbeat – Tragically, Paul McCartney lost his life in a car crash just 22 months later.

John Bonham’s Vistalites/Keith Moon’s Zickos Acrylics. Would love to see Jeff Ocheltree tune these up again.

Yamaha Recording Customs – I'd endorse these for life in exchange for Yamaha's V6 4.2-Liter 300 HP outboard boat motor.

Gretsch USA Custom – Made in Ridgeland, SC (Pop. 4,036).

Simmons – A bit like Ludwig sales skyrocketed after Ed Sullivan, but this fuse was lit by Landscape performing “Einstein A Go-Go” on “Top of the Pops.”

TAMA’s Superstars – TAMA means “F-ing Slayer!” in Japanese.

Buddy Rich’s Radio Kings – Though he famously burned his drumsticks to promote his singing career, BR never set fire to his Slingerlands (though he was a promiscuous endorser).

NOT INCLUDED ON SWEETWATER LIST

Peter Criss Pearl “ALIVE” Silver Concert Tom Kit – The reason you’re searching eBay for bottom hoops again.

The TAMAs in Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” video – Made moth-eaten sweaters and power toms cool again.

The 2112 Chrome Slingerlands – Began the can’t-see-the-drummer trend that peaked a decade later.

Myk

Reaction score
Tragically, Paul McCartney lost his life in a car crash just 22 months later. ??

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
That is the most BS list I have seen on the forum. What about Baby Dodds kit? Louis Bellson? Papa Joe's Slingys? Gretsch bop kits. There was a lot of history in drum kits long before 1960

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
That is the most BS list I have seen on the forum. What about Baby Dodds kit? Louis Bellson? Papa Joe's Slingys? Gretsch bop kits. There was a lot of history in drum kits long before 1960
Oddly, Sweetwater's focus isn't on drums from more than 60 years ago... I'd encourage you to call the number listed at the bottom of the article to register your complaint: (800) 222-4700

pgm554

Reaction score
No Billy Cobham on a Fibes Crystalite?
Or Fibes and fiberglass drums that other companies (Tama,Pearl,Tempus)copied

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those aren't Tama drums in the smells like teen spirit. They are Pearl Exports or some other generic Pearl stencil kit with Pearl coffin lugs.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Those aren't Tama drums in the smells like teen spirit. They are Pearl Exports or some other generic Pearl stencil kit with Pearl coffin lugs.
“Grohl’s kit for the (Nevermind) session was rented from Ross Garfield, aka Drum Doctor, in North Hollywood. It was a Tama Artstar II kit, 24"x16", 15"x12" rack tom and 18"x16" floor tom, with a 14"x6" bell brass Black Beauty snare”

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oddly, Sweetwater's focus isn't on drums from more than 60 years ago... I'd encourage you to call the number listed at the bottom of the article to register your complaint: (800) 222-4700
But.... Sweetwater didn't post their list on a drum forum. you did. Ann even added your corrections... that don't address the past any better than Sweetwater... so why should he call Sweetwater???? :)

Personally I don't think any drum set actually did anything ever... they aren't self-directed... but to play along...

I would say Hal Blaine's multi-tom Blaemire kit is a serious omission.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
“Grohl’s kit for the (Nevermind) session was rented from Ross Garfield, aka Drum Doctor, in North Hollywood. It was a Tama Artstar II kit, 24"x16", 15"x12" rack tom and 18"x16" floor tom, with a 14"x6" bell brass Black Beauty snare”
You do know that the music video wasn't the actual recording of the song, right? :laughing5:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
But.... Sweetwater didn't post their list on a drum forum. you did. Ann even added your corrections... that don't address the past any better than Sweetwater... so why should he call Sweetwater???? :)

Personally I don't think any drum set actually did anything ever... they aren't self-directed... but to play along...

Interesting that you’d think an unseen drum set would be as influential as other kits on the list. Was the Blaine kit ever used for high-profile public performances? Was it featured on album covers, ads or posters? Did a lot of drummers play Blaemire once it became known all the hit songs it was played on?

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting that you’d think an unseen drum set would be so important. Was it ever used for high-profile public performances? Was it featured on album covers, ads or posters? Did a lot of drummers play Blaemire once it became known all the hit songs it was played on?
Seen???? Unseen???

I thought we were talking about changing MUSIC... not musical instrument marketing...

Isn't changing music... creating a sound that inspires drummers to say "Wow, I want to SOUND like that!!!!" and from there they move to checking out out ads, album covers and posters for clues to accomplishing that goal.

Not the other way around. Sorry but I think you have it a**-backwards here. The MUSIC is what leads to the creation of the ads and covers and posters... not the other way around.

MUSIC is a hearing thing.... not a seeing thing. And pictures of instruments maybe help sell drum sets, but they certainly don't... change... music.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I
Seen???? Unseen???

I thought we were talking about changing MUSIC... not musical instrument marketing...

Isn't changing music... creating a sound that inspires drummers to say "Wow, I want to SOUND like that!!!!" and from there they move to checking out out ads, album covers and posters for clues to accomplishing that goal.

Not the other way around. Sorry but I think you have it a**-backwards here. The MUSIC is what leads to the creation of the ads and covers and posters... not the other way around.

MUSIC is a hearing thing.... not a seeing thing. And pictures of instruments maybe help sell drum sets, but they certainly don't... change... music.
I think I’d agree with you if 60s listeners KNEW Hal Blaine was playing that kit on those records.

Instead, he was unseen and his role was to create the ILLUSION that it was Dennis Wilson, Mickey Dolenz or Karen Carpenter sounding so great on records that featured their pictures — not Blaine’s — on their respective records. In fact, I’m pretty confident Wilson et al actually were listed on the record credits
while Blaine cashed big paychecks in exchange for remaining a well-concealed secret. Thus, he didn’t become inspirational until his story was revealed well after the gold records were handed out.