The tiny bass drum thread

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size matters!

Show us your tiny bass drums

Pics, sound files and videos

Tiny means LESS than 18". Thats too big. So 16", 15" and 14" bass drum diameter only.

This thread is for us little guys:p

This isnt mine but i can only hope my new gretsch 15x12 sounds this good!

Here is my 16x13 Slingerland with Remo Skyntone heads on both sides

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is mailing out next Tuesday from Chicago. So maybe Ill get the week of October 12th.
15x12 bass drum from 1980s(12x8 and 14x14. And the pearl tom arm is factory installed by gretsch!. Cool factoid)

Screenshot_20201004-090537_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

ThomasL

Reaction score
This is mailing out next Tuesday from Chicago. So maybe Ill get the week of October 12th.
15x12 bass drum from 1980s(12x8 and 14x14. And the pearl tom arm is factory installed by gretsch!. Cool factoid)

View attachment 463346
Nice! Is it a factory kit right from the switch from SSB to square badge? Does the FT have Gladstone leg brackets? Factory on an early 80s kit? Is the BD a tom shell or thicker like a real BD?

Most of all, I want to hear what they sound like.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice! Is it a factory kit right from the switch from SSB to square badge? Does the FT have Gladstone leg brackets? Factory on an early 80s kit? Is the BD a tom shell or thicker like a real BD?

Most of all, I want to hear what they sound like.
I dont know all the details. Here is reverb listing below

Here is a kit he just did.
Slingerland radio king! 14" bd, 12 14 toms

33405.jpeg

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Metro Jam (16 kick, 10 &13 toms). This thing can rock hard with a mic on the bass drum; I use it in a jazz combo and with a classic rock band. The current iteration includes wood hoops from DaVille in Kentucky.

The green one was my first MJ, I sold it when I needed Xmas money one year and immediately regretted it. The white one I found nearby via CL; the wood hoops gave the kick a deeper sound, but overall I didn't like it as much, so I sold it. The blue one I bought used a few years ago, and it's been a blast - it's generally my go-to kit for jams and light gigs although when I took a risk and used it on a classic rock gig, with just a mic on the kick, it had plenty of volume and balls. Everybody loved it except the singer who thinks it looks like a toy (although he's even admitted that "it really kicks *ss.)

MetroJam2015-017.JPG

2018-09-08-Alibis003.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

2018-08-11-Birdcage004.JPG

2019-11-03-BlackwallHitchVA003.JPG

2020-03-08-GoshenFarmBenefit008.JPG

2020-08-22-013.JPG

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once had a 7 piece Yamaha kit from which I fully converted the 16" tom myself into a bass drum and kept just a 10" mounted and a 14" suspended tom and sold the rest of the pieces. .... I had that kit for some time before moving on to another .....

CIMG0039.jpeg

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama Metro Jam (16 kick, 10 &13 toms). This thing can rock hard with a mic on the bass drum; I use it in a jazz combo and with a classic rock band. The current iteration includes wood hoops from DaVille in Kentucky.

The green one was my first MJ, I sold it when I needed Xmas money one year and immediately regretted it. The white one I found nearby via CL; the wood hoops gave the kick a deeper sound, but overall I didn't like it as much, so I sold it. The blue one I bought used a few years ago, and it's been a blast - it's generally my go-to kit for jams and light gigs although when I took a risk and used it on a classic rock gig, with just a mic on the kick, it had plenty of volume and balls. Everybody loved it except the singer who thinks it looks like a toy (although he's even admitted that "it really kicks *ss.)

View attachment 463349

View attachment 463355

View attachment 463351

View attachment 463352

View attachment 463353

View attachment 463359

View attachment 463354
What heads on the metro jam bass drum?
Beautiful kits.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stubblefield 14x16 bd with Bovid mule skin med heavy batter head and an old Slingerland calf head on the resonant side. The beater is the Dragonfly Percussion medium which is made of layered discs of canvas.

Attachments

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stubblefield 14x16 bd with Bovid mule skin med heavy batter head and and old Slingerland calf head on the resonant side. The beater is the Dragonfly Percussion medium which is made of layered discs of canvas.

LOVE IT

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What heads on the metro jam bass drum?
Beautiful kits.
Currently I use an Aquarian Focus - X on the batter. Orignally I tried a Super Kick 1 [tom hoop version], but it killed too much of the volume. I've also used a clear PS3 and PS4 w/ 4 pieces of sponge window seal placed around the perimeter of the head (see bottom picture with the wood hoops). Using a Pinstripe along with a Remo Muffl also produces a good thud. Aquarian Regulator on the front.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is smallest FACTORY MADE (no floor tom conversions) bass drum by a major manufacturer? 16" like that Tama above? Anything smaller that you know of that is a factory-made, in-the-catalog bass drum? (Oh: And no marching BD conversions, either!)

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My former Sonor AQ2 Safari Kit - 16” bass drum , 10” rack Tom and 13” floor tom in legs . It has s a surprisingly big sounding kit ( especially the bass drum ). Beautiful sparkle lacquer finish . I did not like the snare that came with it , so never purchased it . This kit was part of my big drum set purge a couple year ago now . I would buy another of these one day .

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 - 16” diameter head and 18” shell , 10” diameter rack Tim head with 12” shell and 13” diameter hanging floor tom head with 15” shell . The kit I regret selling more than any other kit I have owned . Superb sounding drums . So fat and resonant and the only truly portable nesting kit I have ever experienced . All other nesting kits are just too damn heavy when nested . This one weighs less than 35lbs nested !!

Attachments

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is smallest FACTORY MADE (no floor tom conversions) bass drum by a major manufacturer? 16" like that Tama above? Anything smaller that you know of that is a factory-made, in-the-catalog bass drum? (Oh: And no marching BD conversions, either!)
Canopus has been making a 15” for quite a few years.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Two kits. The Sakae is sold.

Sakae Trilogy 12x8 and 14x14 with a custom built 16x14 bass drum from Swedish drum builder Niklas Kilenstam (K-Drums).

Second kit, an amazing Gretsch USA Custom in Mardi Gras, 12x8 and 14x14 with a 16x12 bass drum. Can be heard all over my Instagram.

http://instagr.am/p/CFaDuAuAojE/

Attachments