The too many cymbals dilemma

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m a cymbalholic. But I think one could get by happily with two rides (high and low), a crash of some sort, and perhaps a china/swish. And probably one pair of hi hats. Now do I do that? No. Should I do that. Maybe. Will I do that? Probably not.

I decided to roll with the following at the moment.
K 22 dark med
18 kerope
20 K MTL
16 old A hi hats
Swish if I can fit it in.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
My current cymbal arrangement is as follows:

Zildjian 20" mini-cup ride
Zidjian 16" medium crash
Manny's (the defunct music store from 48th St in NYC) made by Zildjian 14" hi hats
Zildjian 17" china
Paiste 10" splash

I have an 18" cymbal that was a ride/crash that is also a Manny's Zildjian but it cracked. I drilled out the crack but the sound of the thing is pretty bad so I just don't use it. I'm in the market for either a Zildjian 16" to 17" dark crash or a 17" to 18" medium crash. That would be all I would ever need.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
old cymbal adage: cymbals stored take up little room/space .
if you think one may be used someday some setting some circumstance hang on to it. only danger is in continued buying gotta draw a line
main ride left side hi hats. fit what you have into those compartments.
mentally. And see if you have enough already. Resist going overboard
Resist some impulses. Good luck with that. I'm almost there. I think I got it cornered.

Last edited:

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Can you pick 2 cymbals and a pair of hats that can fit just about anything? I'm currently running:
20" K MTL
18" small stamp crash ride
15" small stamp hats

Have an 18" A avedis coming in soon I might swap out with the 18" small stamp. We'll see!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
1st they have to fit you your mindset your style your level where you believe you're in at at the moment ... then you enter the stage. It's 2 way street surrendering to the music and having the music come your way a little.. We aren't slaves , we're also personalities with our own fingerprints right?. right.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m a cymbalholic. But I think one could get by happily with two rides (high and low), a crash of some sort, and perhaps a china/swish. And probably one pair of hi hats. Now do I do that? No. Should I do that. Maybe. Will I do that? Probably not.

I decided to roll with the following at the moment.
K 22 dark med
18 kerope
20 K MTL
16 old A hi hats
Swish if I can fit it in.

Good luck with that.

I wish you well.

I had to freaking change the title of my sell everything Ad because I went and bought more freaking cymbals . UGHHHH>

Good luck.

Only way to stop this is wife to take away computer and change passwords on paypal and bank account.

And not tell me numbers.

She might even have to take away my phone and computer.

I see no other solution to cymbalholic disease.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll admit though, it’s nice having some rides to pick from. Couple of nice old As (not gonna get rich from selling those anyway), and some new Ks. The old Ks comes out if you’re special. I guess that’s the one thing I tend to change up...rides.

Next is hi hats. Tend to play larger hi hats, but I have some traditional 14” sized if I want to be like Charlie Watts, or if I’m doing fancy licks. I feel like 16” sized is a nice go between regular and huge. I don’t keep bunches of crashes. 18, 19, Couple of 20s. That’s about it.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is but....im just wasting money.
I always end up with same cymbals on the stand

I need an intervention

You have the right attitude and idea.
Tom, how about this..

Keep your Al Foster setup with the Paiste main. Then have one more “traditional” ride to switch out when you want. You’re playing 100% jazz gigs, right? Let that narrow it down. I’d worry more if I were doing other styles.

I’m not one to talk. I have a few too many, but I have sold some things without buying back. Granted, I have a number of old As that aren’t terribly expensive when compared to a new K. (It’s more about bigger money being tied up, if stuff isn’t getting used). I have a snare problem too, but I’ve sold some excess stuff there too. So I’m getting better about it. Lol.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I currently have 5 different sets of cymbals based on brands. 3 have a mash up of different series from that brand while 2 are series specific where they are the same series and brand. Though none are overloaded with a ton of options, most bags have a set of hats and 3 or 4 cymbals and I grab the bag the fits the music / need at hand.

It took me a long time to put each bag together (well, not the new Bosphorus set, they just kinda fell together) but they are like having a nice selection of pre-programmed EQ patches in your mixer to choose from. Each bag is specific to a sound and style and their is very little crossover between them. Just grab the bag that best fits the need and walk out the door.

My problem is I want to build more bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm nuts as I don't need the 5 sets I have now, but GAS is a serious habit to break!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
When you venture down the Cymbalholic Bunny Hole what happens is, when you get to the dead end , the sign read's old Ks..

When you arrive there everything else is a dead cat bounce. But persisting in that dead cat bounce.....you see you're just repeating yourself.

Old K Dead Cat Bounce= Bosphorus, K Dark Mediums.

Quit while you're ahead

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I been there I am there I live there. Cymbalholism hit me around 1975..... A's, 2oo2s, AK's, Paiste Sigs, Sound Creations, Italians, used six-oh-twos, Japanese, Istanbuls agops presplit and mehmets, Old Ks (still have 17) Bosphorus. New AK's again.....................see?

Is called the Old K Dead Cat Bounce
once you hit bottom (or top depending on location) you're backtracking out. That's all it is.
I been there I live there daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: egw

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
RSpizzichino were out of my price field or I woulda traveled down that bunny hole too. Only one I avoided. Only one.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm powerless, but been buy free for over a month now.
There's a pair of 15 BL SE that are calling me though.
I never did sell the 22 inch Trans stamp. I can't.
I have a bunch of all different A's, I would have no problem parting with.
It's thoes darn Paistes be callin' my name

Latest posts