The too many cymbals dilemma

Demonslayer

Reaction score
I have cymbal banks (same idea as shell banks) in 50’s A’s and 602/SC/Seven-Sound, and could cover anything from that Mahavishnu tribute to the Cannibal Corpse sub-in to the Western swing band that I’m sure are going to call any day now. Plus I grabbed a Giant Beat set out of curiosity to go with my Bonham kit for playing all those Zeppelin songs I don’t like very much, and a 70’s 404 set for those scuzzy biker-bar gigs I don’t get.

As a dining-room-drummer, part of me thinks I should feel bad for holding so much good gear captive, but then again that guy isn’t very loud and doesn’t have my eBay or PayPal passwords. I like being able to have a whole new kit every day if I want to, even if it’s a stupid idea like 16” hats/16” crash/16”ride and 16”rack/16” floor/16” bass, which I really should do one of these days.

A master artist can do amazing work with only 3 colors. If I’m going to be a hack, I like being a hack with every color of the rainbow at my disposal.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I must admit I lean strongly towards the K family of Turkish cymbals
Which at last count encompasses

cymbals. no two alike.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
old cymbal adage: cymbals stored take up little room/space .
if you think one may be used someday some setting some circumstance hang on to it. only danger is in continued buying gotta draw a line
main ride left side hi hats. fit what you have into those compartments.
mentally. And see if you have enough already. Resist going overboard
Resist some impulses. Good luck with that. I'm almost there. I think I got it cornered.
I've divested plenty and still have a long way to go, alas.

Drumjazz

Reaction score
I have sold several cymbals over the years and have always regretted it later on. As someone else (and also my wife) said, they don't take up much room. Keep them all.

Reactions: REF

JazzDoc

Reaction score
When you venture down the Cymbalholic Bunny Hole what happens is, when you get to the dead end , the sign read's old Ks..

When you arrive there everything else is a dead cat bounce. But persisting in that dead cat bounce.....you see you're just repeating yourself.

Old K Dead Cat Bounce= Bosphorus, K Dark Mediums.

Quit while you're ahead
I used to believe that, Joe. No more. I've had some of the most amazing old K's, believe me. Ask Lee Ruff - he has some!
Old K's were/are great for what they're great for, period. Some of the cymbals being made today are just astounding and frankly I'd be more hesitant to let them go that I was with many an old K.

Bob Salvati

Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m a cymbalholic. But I think one could get by happily with two rides (high and low), a crash of some sort, and perhaps a china/swish. And probably one pair of hi hats. Now do I do that? No. Should I do that. Maybe. Will I do that? Probably not.

I decided to roll with the following at the moment.
K 22 dark med
18 kerope
20 K MTL
16 old A hi hats
Swish if I can fit it in.
Howdy! So I have a Mapex Saturn V deep water burl, w/2 Meinl timbales. 4 different snares ( not all set up- switch on + off.) Also Paiste prototype hats 14”, 1 20” 2002 China, 1 19” , 1 20”, crashes, 1 22” dry heavy ride all signature. 1 2002 17”+ 18” crash, 1 20” Paiste Swiss,1 16” A. Zildjian crash, 1 Rancan 20” China ( very nice). 1 Paiste 10” splash, 1 Sabinan 10” splash, A.Zildjian 14” hats.Hmm. So what I did was buy a PDP Concept Maple shell kit in the natural finish. Love natural finish kits but did’nt want to spend another $3000.00 + on a new one... 20”” b.d. 2 8x10 toms ,1 12x9, 1 12x14 + 1 14x16 floor toms. Use 1 of my snares 6.5x14 Supraphonic ,6.5x14 BOB,Pearl free float6.5 x14, 1PDP 5x15 Wood. A lot of stuff.PDP kit now uses my 21 Bosphorus Antique ride, the A.Z. 16 cr, the 20” Rancan China , 18” 2002 cr.A.Z. 14” hats.Whew!!So, too many cymbals? Get another kit and divide cyms. between the2 kit’s!

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
I'm not going to list all of my cymbals here but I am a bit of a small cymbal freak:

1st kit:
Zildjian A-Customs - 8", 10", 12" splashes
Zildjian 9" Oriental Trash Splash (one of my favorite cymbals of all time)
Paiste 8" Bell

2nd Kit:
Zildjian A Series - 8", 10", 12" splashes
Zildjian 9" Oriental Trash Splash

I love the Trash Splash so much I even threw one on the churches drum kit.

bob meyer

Reaction score
Oh dear!
2 complete sets of Old Stamp Ks
2 complete sets of Trans Stamp As + a 70's Pang
About 20 Istanbul Agop cymbals
+
A whole lotta old China's and assorted 20's -30's splash, crash and other pies.

Do I have enough? LOL

Drummaboy78

Reaction score
While I agree with your statement in practicality [end rant]

My current set-up

13" HHX Evolution HiHats
7" HHX Evolution Splash
10" HHX Evolution Splash
16" AAX X-plosion Crash
17" HHX Evolution Crash
18" HHX Evolution Crash
21" HHX Evolution Raw Bell Dry Ride

I understand the school of thought on 1 ride 2 crashes and hats, but I like colors.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to believe that, Joe. No more. I've had some of the most amazing old K's, believe me. Ask Lee Ruff - he has some!
Old K's were/are great for what they're great for, period. Some of the cymbals being made today are just astounding and frankly I'd be more hesitant to let them go that I was with many an old K.
He is right.
I played some of those old ks in Doc's old drum room.

OMG. Amazing.
And they were set up on the best set drums I've ever played.
Gold Sparlke? RB gretsch.
Mark..were those 50s or 60s?

You showed me your six full bags of cymbals that day.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'll give in to you both - on 22" rides. I love my K Dark Medium better than my old K New stamp. It's Flashier. It's more "Spectacular"...It's Easier To Play..
I love my entire Bosphorus set for live performance.
When it comes to Hi hats and left hand Rides.

I'll stand - in those two spots - hi hats and left hand rides - on old K type III and similar ground.
In those two areas Nothing quite replaces Type III and other Sound era old Ks.

Doc knows that

I've never played hi hats that felt like old ks, ditto left side ridage.
Many new 22s are fine. See. Like this combo here:
New K right/ Old Ks Left/ There's No New Cymbals that can Replace those old K Zildjian lefts/ To me.

Doc knows that

oh sure you play live with a new set of cymbals when on stage must make nice impression (no cymbal pun)
But when it's personal...old Ks especially on the left hand side are irreplaceable. that's where I stand.
Love new cymbals! who doesn't right ?

Bosphorus : flat, hi hats, 19" ride, 22" ride..

even a newer Istanbul agop 10" splash. Indispensable. Love it.
don't even think, of climbing on my back : )

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If I had 1,000,000$ and wanted to scour the globe a possibility exists a 22" old K ride could be found that would be unquestionably unrepeatable new.

1) who has the time for that 2) better make that 2 million.
3) It's not worth the time. Or energy.
4) that's a "luck" event that happens to near as practical over a company whose cymbals have been now defunct for near 50 years: to nobody
5) But little ones diameter 20" on down are irreplaceable; they just don't make em like that anymore.

not that I have any dog in the fight I don't.
Just as an observer.
As a market observer
As a general overall/cymbal/ market observer
and musician.
factual? eh whatever
I haven't gone thru every 14" Kerope
but I'll take my odds it doesn't exist there
ditto also for the 16"s and 18"s

Last edited:

Ottomatic

Reaction score
In the years that I've been playing, starting in the 60's, cymbal collections have been the palette of color used to musically, paint a picture. That being said, the only cymbals that I miss are the ones I've sold or traded. I started with Zildjian, Big Ass ride and Big Ass crashes, with smaller hatz. As I matured(?), I realized that my process was flawed. Now it's Heavy or heavier, ride, 20-22", All crashes are Fast Crash,no bigger than 16", and hatz are 15". Brands mean nothing, ITS THE SOUND! Zildjians, Sabians, Paiste, all have great cymbals, as the artist, obviously, I choose the colors and textures I use. And that's why buying cymbals, Is So Much FUN! Yes, we are all crazy butt, really, really happy...

drummerken

Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m a cymbalholic. But I think one could get by happily with two rides (high and low), a crash of some sort, and perhaps a china/swish. And probably one pair of hi hats. Now do I do that? No. Should I do that. Maybe. Will I do that? Probably not.

K 22 dark med
18 kerope
20 K MTL
16 old A hi hats
All the HHX explosion

fusseltier

Reaction score
I've been playing 45+ years, and I think 2 crashes, and a ride is all that's needed, even though i have 18 cymbals on my 10 piece drum set. Even with all these cymbals, other than the hihat, I generally use my 36 years old 2002 13 and 15 inch crashes and the 20 ride the most. I've got a 22 ride and several other crashes but I use the 13 and 15 crashes and the 20 ride most.
Then a good 10 splash is handy also.
Thousands of songs were made on a 4 or 5 piece set with only 2 cymbals.
A crash and a ride, or a couple mediums, of the right sounds are all you need.

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score

K 22 dark med
18 kerope
20 K MTL
16 old A hi hats
I just started selling off some after years of buying. I find it hard to let go, being that the most expensive new cymbal to an old “pie plate” can be used for inspiration on something. I’m a Masshole so, of course, Zildjian was my first cymbals, but switched to Paiste around 2010. Although, I still have a 2002 china type, 20” i got new in 1985.

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
Cymbals are my favourite part of the kit, but I’ve recently become a reformed character and slimmed the collection to one large set that I can select from depending on what I’m doing. However, I have a weakness for a ride so I still have a few of those. I’m sure next year I’ll regret my decision but financially it’s not appropriate to sit on thousands of £ worth of cymbals not getting used.

Present Collection:
-15” Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hats
-19” Zildjian A Thin Crash
-20” Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
-22” Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom
-22” Zildjian A Custom Ride
-23” Zildjian A Sweet Ride
-24” Zildjian K Light Ride

Sold to a better home within the last 12 months:
-14” Zildjian K/Z Special Hats
-15” Zildjian A New Beat Hats
-15” Sabian HHXcelerator Hats
-18” Sabian AAXplosion Crash
-19” Sabian AAXplosion Crash
-21” Sabian HHX Groove Ride
-17” Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash
-19” Zildjian K Dark Medium Thin Crash
-20” Zildjian K Ride
-18” Zildjian A Custom China
-17” Sabian AAXtreme Chinese

Last edited:

fitzsy

Reaction score
I’ve conspicuously struggled with unnecessary gear changes, usually during bouts of professional stress or lack of gigging. I’ve been working on this however. I’m down to one kit with a few snares and a couple extra bass drums, and (other than the SCDR I have in reserve) just the cymbals seen below, all of which are in regular use. It’s feeling good and clearing mental energy for practice and creativity. Worth working on IMO.

C76BAA55-1415-4A0C-B279-67E32CB5D49D.jpeg

Latest posts