The too many cymbals dilemma

jsp210

Reaction score
One shade of brown, one shade of green, and one shade of blue can certainly get you through all the pages of a coloring book comprised of landscape scenes but it is much more enjoyable to create with a wider palette of colors, shades and hues.

Last edited:

FreeholdDrummer

Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m a cymbalholic. But I think one could get by happily with two rides (high and low), a crash of some sort, and perhaps a china/swish. And probably one pair of hi hats. Now do I do that? No. Should I do that. Maybe. Will I do that? Probably not.

I decided to roll with the following at the moment.
K 22 dark med
18 kerope
20 K MTL
16 old A hi hats
Swish if I can fit it in.
You and I are brothers from different mothers! I am also a cymbal freak. I have a rather large set of both acoustic and electronics. When I use them all, they include an assortment of 34 different cymbals.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
You and I are brothers from different mothers! I am also a cymbal freak. I have a rather large set of both acoustic and electronics. When I use them all, they include an assortment of 34 different cymbals.
Sounds like quite a collection! I haven’t counted mine...I’m afraid to. Lol. I have sold off a thing or two in the past year. I will probably miss one that I sold, but no biggie!

REF

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new Sabian cymbals with the artwork on them, up close and personal? I saw them on a NAMM video. What next?

Iristone

Reaction score
I received my Amati cymbal today and it's great! Not as complex as an old K, but more of a bright, clean "Euro"-style ping. I kind of guess that when companies like Zildjian come up with ZBTs and such they were trying to duplicate these Euro cymbals at a lower cost. Maybe they think the lower tin content and more regular hammering pattern will facilitate machine making? Anyway I think they get that basic tone, but some higher-end overtones can get horrendously out of control. With this Amati you get the ping with less ringing overtones (but more nice wash). :thumbup:

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts