The Top 25 Scandinavian Drummers Of All Time

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was developed using a machine-learning algorithm with selected data sets and inputs. We're currently giving a light scrub to the main modeling rules and data objects while also adding processing power to verify some of the inputs provided by some of the forum participants. This will allow us to fine-tune the automated ranking model with additional domain concepts and better account for variations in language, etomology, brushwork, common and separate linguistic forms, paradiddles, umluats, sticking techniques, and the underrepresentation of certain musical forms in current literature.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
NO WHERE does it say these are the only 25 great drummers in those countries. In fact, other posters have named good candidates for the rankings 26 through 1,000.
Where did I write that it said that??? No place... My comment was strictly about this line.... the opening line of your post...

"Without question, the countries we can broadly define as Scandinavia (or the Nordic Nations, if you're a stickler), contain more great drummers per capita than any other nation in the world."

This is called a statement of fact - you basically wrote "Scandinavia contains more great drummers per capita than any other nation in the world" and further stressed that this "fact" was "Without question"...

My whole post was an assertion that I think your "Without question" fact is not true - that's it. Never said there were only 25 drummers in Scandanavia. I just pointed out that I don't you listing these 25 drummers proves your opening factual statement at all.

That's it.

Sheesh yourself...

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Where did I write that it said that??? No place... My comment was strictly about this line.... the opening line of your post...

"Without question, the countries we can broadly define as Scandinavia (or the Nordic Nations, if you're a stickler), contain more great drummers per capita than any other nation in the world."

This is called a statement of fact - you basically wrote "Scandinavia contains more great drummers per capita than any other nation in the world" and further stressed that this "fact" was "Without question"...

My whole post was an assertion that I think your "Without question" fact is not true - that's it. Never said there were only 25 drummers in Scandanavia. I just pointed out that I don't you listing these 25 drummers proves your opening factual statement at all.

That's it.

Sheesh yourself...
Total jibberish.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just found this thread...
I think we should have some more names in here.

Egil Johansen (jazz great)
Åke Eriksson (fusion, rock and composer of one of Swedens biggest hits. First real Scandinavian ambassador doing clinics and solo shows)
Zoltan Scörsz (jazz and more)
Pelle Alsing (drummer of Roxette, 4 #1 on Billboard)
Rolf Alex (Abba and much more)
Åke Sundqvist (studio and live)
Roger Palm (Abba)
Bosse Skoglund (jazz and blues great)
Jan "Loffe" Carlsson (jazz, rock and actor great, member of Hansson & Carlsson who had a song covered by Jimi Hendrix)
Nils-Bertil "Bert" Dahlander (Swedish jazz drummer with great career in USA)
Jack Norén (well, US jazz drummer who became "Swedish")
Nicke Andersson (Entombed, frontman of Hellacopters, Imperial State Electric, The Solution, Lucifer - drummer, guitarist and singer)

And that's just some "Swedish" names...

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff! My Grandfather immigrated from Sweden in the 1920's. My last name is Ekstrom and I have always wanted to see where he was from. Looks like a beautiful country.
Where in Sweden was he from, if I might ask?

I've got relatives in USA too, the arrived in 1905 (I think) with a couple of cents in their pockets. I met one of my relatives who waved goodbye to them when they left the small village in Sweden, it was a great moment talking to her about that event!
In late 70's they (one branch of the ones getting over there) had ca 800 employees in their wood factory in Everett, WA...

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Great additions, VintageDrummerSweden: All of these pros add support to Scandinavia having the highest concentration of great drummers per capita than any region of the world. Also, the prettiest women and darn good chocolate.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another one: Tommy "Slim" Borgudd - the world's fastest drummer!
Well, he became a racing driver, now managing a racing team in the UK, hence the "fastest".
Great drummer that was a household name in the 60's and 70's here in Sweden, playing with Made In Sweden, Solar Plexus, ABBA and did a solo album called Funky Formula.
Swedish Mitch Mitchell is a way of describing his drumming...

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Where in Sweden was he from, if I might ask?

I've got relatives in USA too, the arrived in 1905 (I think) with a couple of cents in their pockets. I met one of my relatives who waved goodbye to them when they left the small village in Sweden, it was a great moment talking to her about that event!
In late 70's they (one branch of the ones getting over there) had ca 800 employees in their wood factory in Everett, WA...

Sorry for the late reply. He came from Vimmerby. I may still have relatives over there as he had a pretty big family. basically he married young, she got pregnant and they came to the USA in the 1920's. Sadly his wife and unborn child died when she was giving birth. He met my Grandmother in the US and the rest is history. If that first wife had never died, I wouldn't be here. I can't imagine what he went through though.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. He came from Vimmerby. I may still have relatives over there as he had a pretty big family. basically he married young, she got pregnant and they came to the USA in the 1920's. Sadly his wife and unborn child died when she was giving birth. He met my Grandmother in the US and the rest is history. If that first wife had never died, I wouldn't be here. I can't imagine what he went through though.
Interesting story! Well, living in the 1920's was something completely different than the 2020's...
Vimmerby is famously known for the Astrid Lindgren theme park, based on her children's books.
Swedish ancestry archives go waaayyy back, that's just one benefit of effective tax politics ;) , so you might be able to get hold of your relatives, pretty easy.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, how could I forget?!
Magnus Öström (E.S.T and now Rymden)
E.S.T is one of few, maybe the only, European groups to make the cover of Downbeat magazine.
And the new group, Rymden, is Magnus and Dan from E.S.T with Norwegian Bugge Wesseltoft on piano, so a real Scandinavian super group indeed!
Check them out, they're one of my absolute favorite bands!!

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, how could I forget?!
Magnus Öström (E.S.T and now Rymden)
E.S.T is one of few, maybe the only, European groups to make the cover of Downbeat magazine.
And the new group, Rymden, is Magnus and Dan from E.S.T with Norwegian Bugge Wesseltoft on piano, so a real Scandinavian super group indeed!
Check them out, they're one of my absolute favorite bands!!
Magnus Öström is one of my favorit drummers. His work with E.S.T. and Rymden blows my mind. Absolutely love his style, sound, musicality....

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Interesting story! Well, living in the 1920's was something completely different than the 2020's...
Vimmerby is famously known for the Astrid Lindgren theme park, based on her children's books.
Swedish ancestry archives go waaayyy back, that's just one benefit of effective tax politics ;) , so you might be able to get hold of your relatives, pretty easy.

Good to know. maybe one day I will get over there. My Grandfather's name was also Harald but my Grandmother had him americanize it to Harold... Doh...