The trouble with 4-legged thrones is...

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Gonna slap myself that I didn't see this coming. New throne has 4 legs, which means if I'm setting on ground that's not quite level (an all-to-common occurrence) the dumb thing goes all goofyfooted an unstable, teetering on two opposing feet. Aaargh, that's SO DUMB!

Hamfist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Less is more is proven true again.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It makes sense that three legs would be more stable on an uneven floor - plus, fewer legs to have to fit in down there with snare stand and pedals is a good thing. Actually, This makes me wish restaurant tables only had three legs.

drummerdude

RIP Bongo Congo, you are missed!
Reaction score
my DW9002 Airlift has 4 legs, and i love it, but no different than my 3 legged roc n soc. i dont play on uneven surfaces to matter.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember from high school geometry that two points define a line, and three points define a plane. Tripods are inherently stable. Fourth leg on a throne is unnecessary weight, IMO, and is also more likely to become unstable.

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
currently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Can
I remember from high school geometry that two points define a line, and three points define a plane. Tripods are inherently stable. Fourth leg on a throne is unnecessary weight, IMO, and is also more likely to become unstable.
Remember from high school physics class?: "objects in motion tend to stay in motion"....

so when you lean back on a 3 legged throne and you start to tip because you forgot to put one of the single legs in the back, and have it instead in the front, which mean you have....nothing in the back.....you tend to stay in motion....down....take my word for it...several times.

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
I'm more at home on a three leg throne than four but I do make a habit out of arranging the location of the legs so the third leg is directly behind me for my best balance.

With a four leg throne I would arrange one of them in the rear too. The fourth leg adds to the total weight of the hardware bag. I like to shed that weight where I can so now, it'll always be three under me!

Scott

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i was born with three legs and decided if it was good enough for me a three legged thrown was gooood enough for the drums. i use the old tama 3 legged titan thrones from the 1980's. i play double bass heel up and them throwns are stable. i aint ben thode off one yet and them thrones dont wiggle either.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four legs stinks! I bought a fancy Pearl a few years ago and finally found a 3-leg base to replace the 4-legger that came with it. Much better.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Look Ma......No legs!

This is the most stable and substantial type of drum throne that was perfected long before many of the people using this forum were born. If you're so inclined, you don't need to pack this throne in something else. Other hardware items can be packed in the throne.

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
A 3 leg throne will always sit flat. A throne with 4 or more legs are less prone to tipping. They will require a flat surface however.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see C&C is starting to make canister thrones now. A former teacher of mine posited that they were better for your back because they were supported around the perimeter rather than just in the center. Looking at Buddy's upper spine is not good evidence for that, though :blink:

I like 'em, they take up less square footage too.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah 3 legs is plenty for me.....I don't need anything else in the way of my usuall tight or jammed in a corner situation.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
It really is simple and obvious. I overlooked it in my haste to score a good deal. It' a DW airlift 9000 series that I was able retrofit with the backrest from my broken Gibraltar. I was dreading the absurdly high cost of decent new thrones when I found this in a pawnshop for $100. The gas shock setup precludes the possibility of switching out bases.

Cannisters are also unstable on less-than-flat surfaces.

So to recap, I didn't get what I didn't pay for. Had I paid retail for this (which would never happen), I'd be pretty upset with myself. This is a studio throne, now destined for the swap section while it's still newish.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
4-legged Tama ErgoRider is sometimes a bit unstable, but usually if I rotate the legs a bit, I can find a stable setting. So darn comfortable seat, though...and backrest.

I figure, unstable drummer requires an unstable throne.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
4-legged (throne) is sometimes a bit unstable, but usually if I rotate the legs a bit, I can find a stable setting.
Agreed.
My gigging throne is a 4-legger, been using it since 1986.
Instability on uneven floors hasn't been much of an issue with mine, a slight rotation of the leg footprint always seems to work fine - and I've played on some kooky makeshift stages thru the years!