header.nohb.html

The Walnut Stars have landed…

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fair response. The reason I ask is I had a an SQ2 kit in heavy beech that had a 22x14 and I found it to be too slappy sounding. I often wondered if a 22x16 wouldn't have provided more tone. Different shells I know. Being a HUGE fan of the Tama Star Walnut they definitely are worthy of an unboxing video. Absolutely killer drums. Enjoy!

Thick shells on bass drums make them sound often bit cold, especial on low dynamics. Size difference wouldn't have made that big of a difference in your case, in my opinion.

Sonar Dave

Reaction score
Didn't think I would like yellow drums but I've Changed my mind.

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first kit back in the late 70s was a yellow set of Rogers. Still dream about them occasionally. @DanRH can't wait to see these set up!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Shot the video today. I thought I was going to put clear Emp’s on them as they came with coated Ambies. They sound great with the single plies. I’ll try to get the video out tomorrow but I’ve got some editing to do. Bottom line, man what a great kit!

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shot the video today. I thought I was going to put clear Emp’s on them as they came with coated Ambies. They sound great with the single plies. I’ll try to get the video out tomorrow but I’ve got some editing to do. Bottom line, man what a great kit!

Congrats on the new kit! That long wait is kind of painful, but so exciting when they finally arrive.

I literally just put clear Emperors on my STAR Maple last week, after two years of the stock coated Ambassadors. I also put a ported reso (same as the stock PS3 FS Diplomat) on the bass drum. I prefer my drums (especially the toms) to have more attack than the single ply coated heads offer. On the few recordings I made with them during the shutdown, I had to use EQ to get that extra "snap" that clear Emps naturally have.

I still haven't had time to dial in the tuning, but the added attack and "thicker" sound of the Emps suit me a bit better. Interested to hear your observations of the Walnuts after spending some quality time with them.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score

The Star Walnut drums love coated Ambassadors. My go to head for the Walnut kit. The Ambs sound like coated Emperors on other drums.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Working on the video but here's a taste....

Screnshotof StarsfromVid.jpg

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The yellow looks great! Buuuut, I’ve gotta major thing for the indigo Japanese Sen. Gorgeous snare! Gorgeous kit!
Also, side bar. Noticing how you have you throw/butt plate in the middle. Do a lot of people do it this way? I always have my throw on the right side by my leg. I’ve never had a problem with it hitting my leg or anything. I’m always turning my snares on and off during performances, and I’ve found it’s the best for me.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Gorgeous! How do you like the walnut snare? It's on my wish list, probably the 6.5" but the 8" is also calling my name. Enjoy the kit!