header.nohb.html

The WORLDS most recognizable Drummer

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1996 I ran into the world's most famous drummer in a mall in Toronto.

He graciously allowed me to have my photo taken with him.

1656378286045.png

He seemed so much taller in person...

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also thinking, would the populations of India, China - the two most populous countries consider Ringo the most popular.

I googled most popular drummer in china and got a dead end. India listed a guy named Sivamani.

India drummer bonus - @Trilock_Gurtu was #6

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
What about Asia, Australia, Africa and SouthAmerica?
Phil Collins was pretty big here in Australia in the eighties and nineties, not so much recently (although In The Air Tonight still gets flogged on most pop/rock radio stations).

For me personally, I'd think Ringo Starr is easily the most famous/recognisable ever. For the more modern and younger general population I suspect Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich or possibly Travis Barker would be more well known. Most people have short memories.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wonder whether any of us would know who is the most popular drummer in the entire world is, on all six continents with human life. Most may only know the most popular drummer of only two continents, North America and Europe.

So, I doubt we will ever know who the most popular drummer is in the entire world.....unless there is a worldworld-wide poll out there.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
What about recognisable by sound? Not even playing a famous song or groove? I admit that's more of an inside thing, would be interesting to hear who you think has the most original style.
For jazz, here's my contender (just came across this curious combination, that drummer and Joe Zawinul):

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ringo might not be the guy. More people have had more time to never know who he was (is) than know about Danny Carey or Neil Peart. Peart obviously was famous longer than Carey, but Rush and Tool are both worldwide phenoms.

If we go by generation and popularity, I'd bet the younger crowd are more likely to know about Travis Barker than anyone else, and probably not many have heard of Ringo.

Ever watch the Kimmel or old Leno bit where they go out on the street and ask basic questions to the general population? It makes me more aware of how America ended up he way it is, now. That filters down to the Ringo question, for sure.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
growing up, non drummers, non musicians, everyone at least KNEW Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and Ringo Starr

In certain circles, for a specific time Neil Peart would have been a very well know name but only for Rush fans, drummers and musicians.

These days...I'd think ?uestlove would be pretty well know from Fallon Show, The Roots, Education, Producing...all kids of things.

but MOST WIDELY Recognized...

For anyone over 40, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich

even if you werent a jazz fan.. Krupa was truly legendary
Buddy was on all the talk shows!

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
Realistically probably Ringo because there are so many iconic photos of the Beatles floating around. Even if they don't know he's the drummer they might recognize him.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ringo or Dave Grohl. Ringo was in the biggest band of all time. Grohl was in two that are high up the list and makes lots of appearances in other media. Nicko McBrain might be higher up the list than expected though. Maiden seems to be huge outside of the English speaking world

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to differentiate age. And also stick with "recognizable" not "famous"

My parent's generation would've been Krupa.
My generation would have to be Ringo.
My kids' generation (they are 31/38) would probably be ProTools.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Would say Ringo. Probably already said, he’s been in at least 5 or 6 Beatles movies, Cartoon Series ,toys, I mean pretty much a household icon. Dude has been highly marketed to put it mildly. My kids would prolly say Ringo as well. Then Travis, Tommy Lee they’re 35 33 31. They would have no idea who Buddy was or any jazz drummer for that matter.
Maybe Max W he was on the tonight show or Conan or one of those late night shows for a good while. My oldest might say John B … yeah he’s a pretty big Zep fan.
They’d have no idea of a single bass player so we got that going for us!