The Yamaha curse continues...?

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A year or two ago, I posted about my frustrations trying to acquire a Yamaha kit. The first set of drums I ever bought was a set of Stage Customs in Marina Green (or whatever the finish was called), and the first set I ever stayed awake dreaming about were some gold-lug Maple Customs in Vintage Natural I saw Peter Erskine play on at a clinic. So I’ve always had a soft spot for Yamaha.

These days, I have an absurd amount of gear, including more full kits than some drummers might own in their entire lives. But despite that, for the longest time, every effort I made to get back to “my roots” and buy some Yammies again was foiled. I’d lose auction after auction at the last second, sometimes by pennies; I’d always be the second guy to call on CL deals; I’d go to grab a credit card and the listing I was about to buy would have sold in the 30 seconds I was away... etc.

I even bought two different sets of Beech Customs, both times for $500 (!). The first time, they came badly damaged, missing hardware, etc., so I sent them back. The second time, the seller’s warehouse allegedly flooded the weekend I bought them, and the drums were destroyed.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago, though, and I thought I might have finally broken the curse when I drove my happy butt 21 hours round trip to Canada and SUCCESSFULLY bought myself a set of Club Customs. Truly a dream kit for me. 18/10/12/14 in the Dark Wood finish. I’d been searching for that specific finish and configuration for years. But even that was so fraught with stupid issues, it almost didn’t happen. What should have been the easiest transaction in the world ended up taking 4 hours, including multiple trips across the U.S./Canada border.

But I did walk away with a kit, at the end of it all, so I was beginning to think my luck had changed. So when a set of Live Customs in Amber Sunburst popped up for trade on FB over the weekend, I jumped on them... only to be contacted today by the seller, informing me that as he was packing them up, he found multiple cracks in the bass drum and floor tom....

I’m not actually a superstitious guy, but when I look at all the other gear-related transactions I’ve had, almost all of them without a single hiccup, I can’t help but feel like this is getting to be just a little ridiculous lol.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You need to buy new.
It's more expensive this way, but you avoid all of the hassles of used gear.
I bought an Absolute Hybrid Maple and RC kit this past year, both new.
The only downside (other than cost) is waiting for some of the add-on toms to be made and shipped.
I figure these are the last kits I'll ever buy.
Although I said that about my Pearl Masters, then, my Tama Starclassics.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You need to buy new.
It's more expensive this way, but you avoid all of the hassles of used gear.
I bought an Absolute Hybrid Maple and RC kit this past year, both new.
The only downside (other than cost) is waiting for some of the add-on toms to be made and shipped.
I figure these are the last kits I'll ever buy.
Although I said that about my Pearl Masters, then, my Tama Starclassics.
It’s crossed my mind. Unfortunately, beyond the cost to buy new, there’s also the issue that a lot of the Yamaha kits I want are already discontinued.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s crossed my mind. Unfortunately, beyond the cost to buy new, there’s also the issue that a lot of the Yamaha kits I want are already discontinued.
True. But so what? if all the pieces are available what else do you need? Matching Snare.....got it, too. lol. Just not sure if the finish is acceptable. I lubs it, myself.

Any interest? This is going on Reverb tonight.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still have a Yamaha MCA that I’ll keep. But anymore for me, if it’s not from the 60s and American, I basically got tired of owning (and being limited) discontinued drums. Which is part of the reason I purchased a DW a few years back. They’ll be around, and I can order add ons anytime.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A year or two ago, I posted about my frustrations trying to acquire a Yamaha kit. The first set of drums I ever bought was a set of Stage Customs in Marina Green (or whatever the finish was called), and the first set I ever stayed awake dreaming about were some gold-lug Maple Customs in Vintage Natural I saw Peter Erskine play on at a clinic. So I’ve always had a soft spot for Yamaha.

These days, I have an absurd amount of gear, including more full kits than some drummers might own in their entire lives. But despite that, for the longest time, every effort I made to get back to “my roots” and buy some Yammies again was foiled. I’d lose auction after auction at the last second, sometimes by pennies; I’d always be the second guy to call on CL deals; I’d go to grab a credit card and the listing I was about to buy would have sold in the 30 seconds I was away... etc.

I even bought two different sets of Beech Customs, both times for $500 (!). The first time, they came badly damaged, missing hardware, etc., so I sent them back. The second time, the seller’s warehouse allegedly flooded the weekend I bought them, and the drums were destroyed.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago, though, and I thought I might have finally broken the curse when I drove my happy butt 21 hours round trip to Canada and SUCCESSFULLY bought myself a set of Club Customs. Truly a dream kit for me. 18/10/12/14 in the Dark Wood finish. I’d been searching for that specific finish and configuration for years. But even that was so fraught with stupid issues, it almost didn’t happen. What should have been the easiest transaction in the world ended up taking 4 hours, including multiple trips across the U.S./Canada border.

But I did walk away with a kit, at the end of it all, so I was beginning to think my luck had changed. So when a set of Live Customs in Amber Sunburst popped up for trade on FB over the weekend, I jumped on them... only to be contacted today by the seller, informing me that as he was packing them up, he found multiple cracks in the bass drum and floor tom....

I’m not actually a superstitious guy, but when I look at all the other gear-related transactions I’ve had, almost all of them without a single hiccup, I can’t help but feel like this is getting to be just a little ridiculous lol.
Are you looking for a Live Custom kit ? I have an 18-10-12-14 that I might sell cause I found something I like. PM for pics or discussion. No cracks :)

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it wasn't true, it would be very funny ... dang!!! This is wild.
My suggestion ...
Set out to purchase the next thee Yamaha kits you come across ... give them zero attention to what they actually are ... and then drive to your local pawn shop and buy the Yamaha kit that is sure to be sitting on the floor waiting for you. Once you've unloaded that kit into your home ... cancel the three orders and smile knowing you've beaten the curse.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the offers to sell me your Yamaha kits. I wish I could take you guys up on the offers. The reason I jumped on these Live Customs, though, is that they were a finish and configuration I loved, but most importantly, it was a trade. After the CCs, I don’t have money to plop down on yet another kit. This just seemed like the planets had aligned for me... but I guess not.

drumnhands

Reaction score
Drum Center of Portsmouth will be taking possession of ten kits from the Rochester International Jazz Festival after it ends next weekend. Live Custom is part of the mix. Call the store and talk to Shane, you can reserve one of the kits.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
The Yamaha curse is a hangup from the DCI days... ask Harry, he will tell you. :happy7:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be buying kits on Ebay unless they were new. But on CL I continually run across great Yamaha kits and nice prices several times a year. I'm not always first. But I was first twice and bought 2 of them in the past year....discontinued kits but they were complete as is. There are plenty of good deals out there from time to time. Check CL every day. Always have cash available such that you can leave the house within an hour to pickup a kit. If you live several hours away from any major city then this gets a lot harder.

dsop

Reaction score
Beyond the cost? What is your time worth? How much money did you spend traipsing all over the place when you were buying those used drum sets? On top of that, Yamaha's latest offerings are much better than past, although I do agree that the Club Customs are fantastic (I'm pretty sure a new version is in the works).

Keep in mind that problems can arise when buying new too. I had to return a floor tom that was damaged by UPS. Regardless, I only buy used when the kit is for practice or stay-at-home use.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beyond the cost? What is your time worth? How much money did you spend traipsing all over the place when you were buying those used drum sets? On top of that, Yamaha's latest offerings are much better than past, although I do agree that the Club Customs are fantastic (I'm pretty sure a new version is in the works).

Keep in mind that problems can arise when buying new too. I had to return a floor tom that was damaged by UPS. Regardless, I only buy used when the kit is for practice or stay-at-home use.
Uh... you seem to be taking a weird tone here, but sure, I’ll play.

“How much money did you spend traipsing all over the place when you were buying those used drum sets?”

That’s presuming an awful lot about where and how I’ve acquired my gear. With the exception of the CCs — which were a white whale kit for me, and so the lengths I went to get them weren’t at all representative — hardly any. I’ve driven a couple hours here and there, but the combined cost from gas and tolls and wear and tear on my car from all of those trips would still be a drop in the bucket compared to the literally thousands of dollars I’ve saved by not buying new.

“Yamaha’s latest offerings are much better than past.”

You’re welcome to that opinion.

“Beyond the cost?”

I’m not sure what the question is here. If you re-read the full sentence, I already identified the specific factor that, “beyond the cost of buying new,” is a consideration for me.

“What is your time worth?” Evidently, not much since I’ve wasted minutes (plural!) replying to this.

“Keep in mind that problems can arise when buying new too.”

Wait... weren’t you just barely trying to convince me that I should be buying new?

“I only buy used when the kit is for practice or stay-at-home use.”

Hey, look at that! We’re not so different, after all.

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like to see a Pic of those if you got one handy thxs
(is the 12 , 8 x12? (just want to see them..)
I bought these from a guy here. As working drums they're really good. And this is when they were inexpensive. Not the bump in price they are now..

dsop

Reaction score
Let's face it - most drummers are Neanderthals with their gear. Every time I go into a rehearsal hall and use the provided kit, the stands have been tightened to the point of requiring tools to adjust them. I'm sure there are good finds out there in pre-owned drumland, but disappointment is the norm, and pleasant surprises are surely rare.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
....Yamaha's latest offerings are much better than past, although I do agree that the Club Customs are fantastic (I'm pretty sure a new version is in the works).
The Yamaha 8000 and 9000 professional series drums of the 1970s to mid-1990's were stout drums. I'd put them up against anything in the $700-$3000 (new) range that they pump out today. My early 80's Yamaha 8000/9000 "used" kits cost me relatively little with original hardware included. The new kits can't compete with that....and likely won't sound any better...and maybe not even as good.

Last edited:

Latest posts