The Zildjian fabrication process

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the end both Zildjian and Bospherous end up with a cymbal, but one process looks very modern and the other looks very old world from some of your posted videos; could put Spizz in the second bucket too.

I'm guessing Zildjian makes a lot more cymbals though. Hand made can't compete with modern manufacturing numbers wise.

Funny though, I would think that hand made cymbals would cost a lot more, but that's not really the case. Prices are pretty steady no matter which way their made.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny though, I would think that hand made cymbals would cost a lot more, but that's not really the case.

I think that depends where and who is making them. Have you ever purchased a Spizzichino. Faunch. lauristen high end exotics? ( to name a few) Independent Boutique makers vs a boiler room full of cheap labor pounding away is the difference between expensive vs moderate to inexpensive handmade cymbals.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that depends where and who is making them. Have you ever purchased a Spizzichino. Faunch. lauristen high end exotics? ( to name a few) Independent Boutique makers vs a boiler room full of cheap labor pounding away is the difference between expensive vs moderate to inexpensive handmade cymbals.

Good point.

We have no idea what those Turk workers hand hammering away all day are actually earning. It's probably better we don't know...

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
earning possibly in this case doesn't equate with skills or artistry the handmade cymbals are a bargain please don't look a gift horse in the mouth PSA

Thank you, point taken!

But I just came back to Zildjian, so I'm all about modern manufacturing processes!!! :lol:

2oo2

Reaction score
Seen several Zildjian factory videos but this is the most descriptive by far. My observations:

- The rotary hammer is a BRILLIANT idea. The fastest way to have a cymbal completely hammered.
- We talk a lot about Zildjian's "automated" process, but in reality the only automated step is hammering (and the logo and laser printing, but this in incidental). There's a lot of manual labor involved in the entire chain. I'd consider bell and profile hydraulic pressing as "mechanically aided" instead of "automated".
- There's no automated lathing (at least from what you can see on the video). The second lathe arm is manually operated (in the first shot it gives the impression to be automatic, but you can later see Paul Francis operating it).
- No doubts about Paul Francis skills, glad to see he wasn't just a manager but could do the dirty work.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've actually been to Jesse Simpsons shop to have a cymbal modified. It was a really cool experience and he did a great job on the cymbal.

I'm not sure I'd ever spend that kind of money on one ride cymbal because it seems like we all tire of our cymbal set-up eventually no matter who makes it or how it's made. We always seem to crave a different sound eventually. That why the Cymbals for Sale forum is always full of people selling their "holy grail" cymbals!

I certainly appreciate what these artisans do though and I'm glad they're out there.

peter

Reaction score
I thought the first step is fabricating a "secret"?

peter

Reaction score
Mind you, Lauritsens aren't that expensive when you buy them from him - you just have to be willing to wait a couple years ;)

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a Zildjian video where even Paul Francis said he wasn't allowed in the "secret sauce" room!
Correct. The Melt Room is off limits to all employees other than family members and the people who work in there. It's like a recording studio - when the "red light" is on, there's no admittance.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good point.

We have no idea what those Turk workers hand hammering away all day are actually earning. It's probably better we don't know...
Prolly not much more then the kids in China sewing Nikes together.

There’s so many cymbal companies out now. I’m not sure if I’ve heard of a bad one yet. They all really make nice cymbals.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess even Paul isn't allowed to know that their cymbals are made of 80% copper and 20% tin (like every other cymbal company).
:)
We all knew/know what the alloy is... that's not the Secret. The Secret is the melting and mixing of the metals whereby blending 20% tin with 80% copper doesn't create a cymbal that breaks on impact. Typically that much tin will be too brittle, but tin is crucial to the sound. As I stated above, only family member and the people who work in the Melt Room know the process.