There are cover videos and there are cover videos.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
We discussed this a while ago, he's great! I've watched several times. To be honest the whole thing is mind blowing.the guitar work on different strings has always been a favorite of mine.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just how in the hell can this guy possess so much talent !!! Closed my eyes and thought I was listening to the original trio. Cut and pasted all those parts in perfect meter and tempo (to my ears anyway).
Coy

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dale w miller said:
Whenever I see videos like this I always ask myself why. Hes an incredible talent, yes, but this is an incredible waste of talent. Stop trying to imimitate someone else and go create something of your own.
But therein is the rub....is it not? Not many possess the talent to both play AND create.

I mean look at the Beatles. On the one hand the worst musicians in the world, but on the other hand they were creative enough to have 17 number hit records...

Go figure...

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mongrel said:
Whenever I see videos like this I always ask myself why. Hes an incredible talent, yes, but this is an incredible waste of talent. Stop trying to imimitate someone else and go create something of your own.
But therein is the rub....is it not? Not many possess the talent to both play AND create.

I mean look at the Beatles. On the one hand the worst musicians in the world, but on the other hand they were creative enough to have 17 number hit records...

Go figure...
And who would most people rather be? Ill take Ringo Starr over this guy and Im not a Ringo fan per se.

Side note: I deleted my original comment on accident.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, so I don't know this guy from Adam, but you're slagging someone who tours in a project started by drummer Roger Taylor, plays guitar, bass and drums, and has recorded a few discs of original music that he and his band tour in support of. I haven't heard any of his music, but I'm impressed.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
dale w miller said:
Looks like he records and tours quite a bit, including a Queen project with Roger Taylor. Busy guy.

https://tyler-warren.com
Good on the touring, but its still a cover band.
I suppose every gig is a cover gig. Unless you're the lead and only singer songwriter. Brian Blade plays with Wayne Shorter, it's a cover gig for everyone except Wayne. Todd Sucherman plays with Stxy, it's a cover gig. Vinnie plays with Sting, it's a cover gig.

I'm serious, at least as serious as you are...

edit.... many gigs are cover. Joey Kramer with Aerosmith for example. He creates the original parts so it's not a cover gig for him. But they add keys or horns for touring and it;s a cover gig for that player

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Polska said:
Okay, so I don't know this guy from Adam, but you're slagging someone who tours in a project started by drummer Roger Taylor, plays guitar, bass and drums, and has recorded a few discs of original music that he and his band tour in support of. I haven't heard any of his music, but I'm impressed.
Look, Im not meaning to rag on the guy. Its just with the Internet these days, we are going to run out of true artists as everyone is getting famous playing other peoples music in their bedroom. And with a guy as talented as this, its sad.

Now that said, hes proven me wrong of not being in an original band. Im glad to see hes out there putting his creativity on the line. Unfortunately, he lacks it.

Original music, here you go.

This song unfortunately is watered down Nickelback, if thats even possible. His nursery rhyme lyrics borderline make me cringe.

This song the lyrics are just as terrible, but at least theres a real hook in the chorus. I cant say its not predictable nor would I buy the record, but I can people doing so.

I think hed be best suited being a sideman for some solo artist on a major label. Hes well suited for that and perhaps this Roger Taylor gig can lead him towards that. I wish him luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
Looks like he records and tours quite a bit, including a Queen project with Roger Taylor. Busy guy.

https://tyler-warren.com
Good on the touring, but its still a cover band.
I suppose every gig is a cover gig. Unless you're the lead and only singer songwriter. Brian Blade plays with Wayne Shorter, it's a cover gig for everyone except Wayne. Todd Sucherman plays with Stxy, it's a cover gig. Vinnie plays with Sting, it's a cover gig.

I'm serious, at least as serious as you are...

edit.... many gigs are cover. Joey Kramer with Aerosmith for example. He creates the original parts so it's not a cover gig for him. But they add keys or horns for touring and it;s a cover gig for that player

No doubt. Ive thought that for years. Hell, Lynyrd Skynyrd is a tribute band at this point with the rights to the real name.

I disagree with Brian Blade and Vinnie as a whole. Vinnie is on the floor creating original parts for much of Stings original music though the Police songs hes covering. Brian Blade? No one is telling that mama fletcher (said in tribute to Quincy Jones) how to play.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I guess one can't be a musician unless he writes songs...

Todd Sucherman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Its not like me to chime in anywhere these days, and Id like to say hello, and then apologize if my first post here has any negative overtones at all. Its not meant to at all, but the written word can be taken so many ways. A forum has a debate and discussion connotation by definition, so here I go with a bit of perspective and correction. I also realize my comment here has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread and for that I apologize, but.this is mainly directed at the declaration from Jaymandude regarding my employment.

I take issue with my gig (or Vinnies, or Brians) being described as a cover gig. First off, Im wildly humbled and incredibly (surprised) and proud that my work on Styxs The Mission won Best Recorded Performance in the Modern Drummer Magazine Readers Poll this year. Thats 14 tracks of my original work, some of it is performed live and all of it will be performed live at some point. There are seven or so records over the years with (my era original) music that have been performed on stage that contain my original drum parts. (The two fills in One With Everything from the Cyclorama record appears in DRUM! Magazines 200 Greatest Drum Moments Of All Time issue.)

While its true that I play music with a band that sold 30 million records before I ever came to be in the picture, theres plenty of music that has my stamp on it as well. But to call it a cover gig? Lets look at what a gig is like on this level Aside from the music (learned and created) which is obviously a huge and critical part of the equation (pleasing your employers, clientele, fan base, etc) theres so many other aspects one must master and navigate successfully. You must deal with band member dynamics, personnel idiosyncrasies, bands families and friends, dealing with management, managers, promoters, agents, interviewers, publicists, the crew, multiple bands and their crew, constant demands on time, constant requests for tickets, constant ticket requests for dealers and musical instrument manufactures and after show passes for all, 100 flights a year, millions of miles travelled, inconsistent sleep and meal times, being away from your family for weeks at a time, missing weddings-funerals-family reunions. Missing your daughters first dance recital. To be able to balance and juggle this lifestyle and all that goes into it and do it successfully for years and years? Well, this is no cover gig.

Jay, for you to reduce what I do (or Vinnie or Brian or anyone) as a cover gig is as preposterous as it is for me to reduce and assume that your cover gig is playing Mustang Sally with guys who pay their bills with day jobs- while playing for sixteen drunk people, most of whom are shooting pool.

Again, I apologize if this seems snarky or agitated. It is not intended that way at all. Im just trying to share some perspective and correct information- and if I can try (or die trying) to make the internet a slightly nicer place, I will attempt to do so.

My best,

Todd Sucherman

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Well stated and I couldn't agree more, but I will say I believe Jay was inserting a little sarcasm to refute the previous comments that were reducing individual efforts as being less significant due to being covers. I won't pretend to speak for him, but that was my take.

If this really is Todd Sucherman, welcome and I am a huge fan of your work. I always appreciate your videos and efforts to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Well stated and I couldn't agree more, but I will say I believe Jay was inserting a little sarcasm to refute the previous comments that were reducing individual efforts as being less significant due to being covers. I won't pretend to speak for him, but that was my take.

If this really is Todd Sucherman, welcome and I am a huge fan of your work. I always appreciate your videos and efforts to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks.
that was exactly my point.

thank you

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Todd Sucherman said:
Hi everyone,

Its not like me to chime in anywhere these days, and Id like to say hello, and then apologize if my first post here has any negative overtones at all. Its not meant to at all, but the written word can be taken so many ways. A forum has a debate and discussion connotation by definition, so here I go with a bit of perspective and correction. I also realize my comment here has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread and for that I apologize, but.this is mainly directed at the declaration from Jaymandude regarding my employment.

I take issue with my gig (or Vinnies, or Brians) being described as a cover gig. First off, Im wildly humbled and incredibly (surprised) and proud that my work on Styxs The Mission won Best Recorded Performance in the Modern Drummer Magazine Readers Poll this year. Thats 14 tracks of my original work, some of it is performed live and all of it will be performed live at some point. There are seven or so records over the years with (my era original) music that have been performed on stage that contain my original drum parts. (The two fills in One With Everything from the Cyclorama record appears in DRUM! Magazines 200 Greatest Drum Moments Of All Time issue.)

While its true that I play music with a band that sold 30 million records before I ever came to be in the picture, theres plenty of music that has my stamp on it as well. But to call it a cover gig? Lets look at what a gig is like on this level Aside from the music (learned and created) which is obviously a huge and critical part of the equation (pleasing your employers, clientele, fan base, etc) theres so many other aspects one must master and navigate successfully. You must deal with band member dynamics, personnel idiosyncrasies, bands families and friends, dealing with management, managers, promoters, agents, interviewers, publicists, the crew, multiple bands and their crew, constant demands on time, constant requests for tickets, constant ticket requests for dealers and musical instrument manufactures and after show passes for all, 100 flights a year, millions of miles travelled, inconsistent sleep and meal times, being away from your family for weeks at a time, missing weddings-funerals-family reunions. Missing your daughters first dance recital. To be able to balance and juggle this lifestyle and all that goes into it and do it successfully for years and years? Well, this is no cover gig.

Jay, for you to reduce what I do (or Vinnie or Brian or anyone) as a cover gig is as preposterous as it is for me to reduce and assume that your cover gig is playing Mustang Sally with guys who pay their bills with day jobs- while playing for sixteen drunk people, most of whom are shooting pool.

Again, I apologize if this seems snarky or agitated. It is not intended that way at all. Im just trying to share some perspective and correct information- and if I can try (or die trying) to make the internet a slightly nicer place, I will attempt to do so.

My best,

Todd Sucherman
" Hey, there's this guy on drumforum.org calling your gig a cover gig"

No, actually. There's not..

With all due respect, and there's a lot due, I think you missed my intended sarcasm of someone calling Tyler Warren's performance ( or his touring gig) a cover gig. Written words on a page ( or phone screen, text anyone ?) can be extremely misleading.

What you read was a response to a previous post and maybe not worded in a way that was obvious. Yes, the idea that Vinne with Sting is a cover gig, that you with Styx, and Brian Blade with Wayne, Nate Morton on one of those shows I don't watch :) Heck.... pick almost anybody with anybody touring...because someone didn't play on the originals is indeed preposterous. Nothing would be further from the truth.

My intended point was, where do you ( previous poster) draw the line ? What, to him, constitutes a cover gig ? And why ? Granted, it could have been stated more clearly, and for that I apologize. Unfortunately for us, the lack of clarity in my response was taken in a way that was thoroughly and completely opposed to the way it was intended. And for that I apologize.

I'm terribly sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Welcome to the board and continued success.

Todd Sucherman

Reaction score
Jay,

Thanks, and as I said, sometimes the written word can be taken a certain way that is unintended . So if I misread or the sarcasm didnt come through, that is entirely my fault.

Wishing you and all the drum brothers and sisters here (and everywhere) good vibes, good gigs and peace.

Cheers,
Todd

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Todd Sucherman said:
Jay,

Thanks, and as I said, sometimes the written word can be taken a certain way that is unintended . So if I misread or the sarcasm didnt come through, that is entirely my fault.

Wishing you and all the drum brothers and sisters here (and everywhere) good vibes, good gigs and peace.

Cheers,
Todd
Oh man, I'm sorry it even got to this. Nobody's fault I suppose Again, continued success, travel safe on the road, best to your family, and enjoy Austin until the summer comes :)