Thermogloss opinions wanted (warning gruesome pics enclosed).

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you can get it for like $100 or so, it's a nice pile of parts. Get some better shells and transfer the hardware. Otherwise, I would pass. There are so many better drums out there that a set with dry rot damage is just not worth it.

I once picked up a 1980s Tama Superstar 18" bass with dry rot. Very rare drum in that size. I wanted very much to save it but it was so rotted that I literally poked my finger through the wood.

healthie1

Reaction score
Always inquire. Can buy these shells w/o hardware if necessary.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, those look very salvageable. Water damage is not that severe in the photos. Can't assess the dry rot from photos. Regardless, those drums will probably play as nicely as a pristine kit once the interiors and exteriors
are repaired. No rocket science needed.....just lots of time and attention. Glue, clamps, wood filler, etc. Re-nourish the shells to get them less dry. I think they would come out looking pretty darn good. And 95% of the people
out there are not nearly as fussy as us folks around here. Could end up being a 40-80 hour project.....if you have that time.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd try and save them as well. If you can't restore the interiors to clear finish standards paint them white like older Ludwig kits or Zolatone them. They still can be fixed with wood putty or bondo for that matter and I bet they would sound great either way. I would like the opportunity if nothing more than for the challenge of it. Go for it, what would you be out if it didn't go well. They would make a great player/beater set either way! I also would feel some sense of duty to give them another life given the abuse they have endured, you owe it to them! lol!