These are classic maples... right?

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
Got these on CL today. I’m assuming they’re 90’s classic maples, but does anyone know better than I do? Looks like the bass came with two sets of spurs, only one set remains. They’re a bit nicked up here and there, looks like a 12-13-14-22 (maybe power tom depths). Anyone have an idea of value? Thinking of selling them- they came with a COB Supra, which I’m keeping.

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not really called "Classic Maple", just the "Classic" line of drums. Those HUGE Modular mounts were really tone killers! Still, lots of drummers loved the look...while others didn't!! There's just not enough pictures to give an educated guess on pricing.

-Mark

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Could be Classics or Super Classics which are pre-Classic Maple. I believe they went to 100% maple in the mid/later 90’s but early 90’s they were still doing maple & poplar. Classics were thicker and Super Classics were thinner from what I remember.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea there two option shells also the option of long or classic lug. Nice time then the wood finishes were- yea they put some time into them
The catalog I would say is---> 1994 great catalog--like Ludwig was actually "happy"..-->

Here's one page pulled-->

as far as options there's--in the black box the two shell 4P and 6P and the Two lug choices.
IMO about their last best catalog 1994.

Last edited:

feelyat

Reaction score
Those might have been late 80s or very early 90s. Again, more pictures would be helpful, but it sounds like you're describing the double-curved spurs from the 80s drums. They introduced the long lugs as an option in 89, but by 94, modern spurs had replaced the double curved ones.

1604292424314.png

Reactions: JDA

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have what I was told, a late 80's Classic kit. The 16x22 bass came with two sets of spurs but with standard lugs. The toms are deep, 12x13, 13x14, 16x16 and 16x18 with a 6.5x14 Supra. Wood is Maple, Poplar, Maple. They came with the Modular mounting system but has been changed to RIMS then ATLAS. Nice drums!!

sherm

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got these on CL today. I’m assuming they’re 90’s classic maples, but does anyone know better than I do? Looks like the bass came with two sets of spurs, only one set remains. They’re a bit nicked up here and there, looks like a 12-13-14-22 (maybe power tom depths). Anyone have an idea of value? Thinking of selling them- they came with a COB Supra, which I’m keeping.
Classic Maple came out in 1998.
Never seen any with Mach hardware.
I'm guessing 6 ply "Classic"....different shell than "Classic MAPLE".

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be Classics or Super Classics which are pre-Classic Maple. I believe they went to 100% maple in the mid/later 90’s but early 90’s they were still doing maple & poplar. Classics were thicker and Super Classics were thinner from what I remember.
Classic Maple heralded in the 100% Maple shell in 1998.
Before that, everything was Maple/Poplar composite shell.
Classic Maple originally used a 9 ply shell 6mm thick. Since about 2002 or 2003, that shell changed to a 7 ply layup, but remains 6mm thick.
Classic was 6 ply 3/8" thick.
Super Classic was originally a 4 ply shell, 5/16" thick, but was replaced during the last year/year and a half, by the former "vintage" shell which was 5 plys, reinforced, 6.1mm thick, also Maple/Poplar.
Ludwig ceased production of composite shells in spring of 1998 and did not start composite shell production back up until the advent of the Legacy shell (with exception to snare drums and marching gear).

Elvis

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic Maple heralded in the 100% Maple shell in 1998.
Before that, everything was Maple/Poplar composite shell.
Classic Maple originally used a 9 ply shell 6mm thick. Since about 2002 or 2003, that shell changed to a 7 ply layup, but remains 6mm thick.
Classic was 6 ply 3/8" thick.
Super Classic was originally a 4 ply shell, 5/16" thick, but was replaced during the last year/year and a half, by the former "vintage" shell which was 5 ply 6.1mm thick, also Maple/Poplar.
Ludwig ceased production of composite shells in spring of 1998 and did not start composite shell production back up until the advent of the Legacy shell (with exception to snare drums and marching gear).

Elvis
Yes indeed! 3/8" is 9.5 mm, so a really thick shell. My 1990 Classic kit has two 16" x 26" bass drums and each of those things weighs a TON! But man, do those Classic drums project!

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I got them, with the COB pre serial supra, 13” black panther snare, plus all sorts of hardware and things for 500. I don’t really need this set but couldn’t pass it up. I might try to sell the set and the black Panther snare and hardware for what I paid for the lot.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I got them, with the COB pre serial supra, 13” black panther snare, plus all sorts of hardware and things for 500. I don’t really need this set but couldn’t pass it up. I might try to sell the set and the black Panther snare and hardware for what I paid for the lot.
Hi Classicdrummer! Your purchase price was more than fair!! Hope you can post some nice clear pictures once they arrive. Congrats!

-Mark

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I had a set of classics that I bought new in 1990. They had the modular hardware on the tom and they sounded great. I never had any issues with those mounts choking the tom sound. The wrap was another story.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a 15x12 late Chicago marcher someone turned into a floor tom.
Chrome-O-wrap, with the riveted interlocking seam.
No sign of lift and it adds a cool visual effect.
...btw, I've amended my prior post, as I left a tiny little detail out.
For those who caught it, apologies for the omission.

Elvis

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are not talking Ludwig Black Panther snare, I take it?
The kit you are showing looks like Classic 6-ply Emerald Shadow finish. My guess.

Wayne

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed! 3/8" is 9.5 mm, so a really thick shell. My 1990 Classic kit has two 16" x 26" bass drums and each of those things weighs a TON! But man, do those Classic drums project!
Well, it was the 70's. =)

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, because 3 ply Ludwig shells are reinforced.
However, it appears you have a 4 ply Super Classic shell.
1988 and later.
Nominally 5/16" thick (8mm).
Are there date codes present? (NOT the badge serial! :angry5: )

Elvis

Last edited:

Classicdrummer

Reaction score
No, because 3 ply Ludwig shells are reinforced.
However, it appears you have a 4 ply Super Classic shell.
1988 and later.
Nominally 5/16" thick (8mm).
Are there date codes present? (NOT the badge serial! :angry5: )

Elvis
Very cool! No date codes that I can see. They do feel a little lighter, although it’s tough to tell since the hardware is so huge.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got the Thin and Lightweight shell of that time. ;)