These Pearl Exports cleaned up nice

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw this Pearl Export set on Craigslist last week for cheap. Figured it would give me something to tinker with over the holiday weekend. The guy I bought them from had them in a storage unit and they were covered with dust. Well, I guess the dust protected the finish because man did these clean up nice. The red to black fade finish is beautiful, the bearing edges are flawless and the hardware is all well made.

It even had decent heads: Coated Emperors on the toms, Coated Reverse Dot on the snare and an Aquarian Superkick on the kick drum. As a bonus it came with a DW 4000 single pedal, some cheap cymbals and some heavy duty hardware. I've sold off most of that extra stuff and when I'm done I'll basically have the drums for free. I'm thinking about keeping them as a beater set for outdoor gigs in the Texas heat and such.

It amazes me the quality of drums you can get for the money these days. These are considered lower end drums but there is nothing lower end about how they look and sound. Obviously they are not on par with my USA Customs or Classic Maples but I wouldn't hesitate to do a gig with them.

Sizes are:

9x12
14x16
18x22
5.5x14
export1.jpg
export1.jpg
export2.jpg
export3.jpg

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you come across a different mounting system on the cheap (RIMS, Optimounts, etc.) it will really help those drums open up big time. The ISS mounts can choke the drum. I found that tuning them set up on the kit made a big difference with the ISS mount and will save you the frustration I experienced when I tuned them off the kit and had them sounding great, only to be disappointed when the drum sounded choke when remounted.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you come across a different mounting system on the cheap (RIMS, Optimounts, etc.) it will really help those drums open up big time. The ISS mounts can choke the drum. I found that tuning them set up on the kit made a big difference with the ISS mount and will save you the frustration I experienced when I tuned them off the kit and had them sounding great, only to be disappointed when the drum sounded choke when remounted.
Yes! Those ISS mounts suck! The mounted tom has no resonance at all. I'm actually adding legs to the floor tom. The mounts should be here tomorrow. If I run across a RIMS mount for cheap I may pick that up for the 12.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! Those ISS mounts suck! The mounted tom has no resonance at all. I'm actually adding legs to the floor tom. The mounts should be here tomorrow. If I run across a RIMS mount for cheap I may pick that up for the 12.
Great call on adding legs to the floor tom. I highly recommend the Pearl air floor tom suspension feet. They are around $10 or so for 3 and are the best investment in sound you can make for around $10.

I like the Optimount (or RIMS) and you can still use the Pearl Tom arm with either, of course.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great score! This is a perfect kit not only for hot outdoor gigs, but gigs in general. This could be your drums you keep in the car/garage at all times in between gigs and rehearsals. I think they look incredible and personally use an older Export 13" power tom that I converted into a floor tom. It sounds great for live gigs.

The ISO feet are a great recommendation as is picking up a RIMS mount that isn't expensive. Or a Ludwig Atlas mount.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got this exact kit setup at my church right now with the services being in our gym currently. I got the kit when I was 16 after begging my church to update our Reuther kit.

The heads haven't been changed since probably 2010.... And the bass drum sounds almost better than my Yamaha recording custom. It's pretty crazy how good they sound. I haven't messed with the snare any but you may have just inspired me to revisit it!

20200622_123412.jpg

20200622_123238.jpg

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got this exact kit setup at my church right now with the services being in our gym currently. I got the kit when I was 16 after begging my church to update our Reuther kit.

The heads haven't been changed since probably 2010.... And the bass drum sounds almost better than my Yamaha recording custom. It's pretty crazy how good they sound. I haven't messed with the snare any but you may have just inspired me to revisit it!

View attachment 449940

View attachment 449942

You should definitely check that snare out. This one sounds great and it was a total surprise to me.

Nice finish on those BTW. Pearl does amazingly good finishes even on their cheaper drums.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great score! This is a perfect kit not only for hot outdoor gigs, but gigs in general. This could be your drums you keep in the car/garage at all times in between gigs and rehearsals. I think they look incredible and personally use an older Export 13" power tom that I converted into a floor tom. It sounds great for live gigs.

The ISO feet are a great recommendation as is picking up a RIMS mount that isn't expensive. Or a Ludwig Atlas mount.
I had thought about going with the Atlas mount and I also have a Tama iso mount I could use. I decided not to go that route because I really need the horizontal adjustment that the Pearl arm provides. I hate the way drum companies take an 18" deep bass drum and put the tom mount all the way up at the front. If I used an L-arm type mount I'd have to reach half way across the room to get to my mounted tom.

I'll definitely be ordering iso feet for the floor tom. I have them on all my floor toms.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My band's rehearsal space has a 5 piece Pearl Export kit (older than yours, with the long lugs, in a magenta wrap). I'm constantly amazed at, not only how good it sounds, but how good they feel! I would not hesitate to pick up an Export kit if you can find one on the cheap!

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always have liked the ISS mounts and never noticed them choking a tom.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always have liked the ISS mounts and never noticed them choking a tom.
I had a new Export about 10 years ago. I can't recall for sure which head I used (possibly Aquarian) but the edge of the hoop touched the lip of the ISS, I had to swap heads to stop it from happening.
That was the most extreme issue I had with the ISS. But, I noticed choking with those mounts once the drum was mounted and the weight of the tom became a factor. I know they had a couple of versions of them, so some may have been better or worse than others, possibly.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks great! Exports have certainly come a long way since the 80s. A friend has one with the 2 piece lugs meant to look like the long MLX/BLX of the 80s. It's said to have birch as an inner ply and they record fantastically!

Dan

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The floor tom legs turned out nice. Just used some simple Gibraltar mounts and 9.5mm legs. Figured I'd keep it light. Have some Pearl suspension feet on the way.

Also I have the floor tom stand available if anyone needs one. I'll sell it to you dirt cheap :)

exportft.jpg