These Vintage Premier's - They Look Good Enough To Eat!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Crispy, boingy, boppy, for sure. He does have them well-tuned in that realm. The snare drum is a wonder, and the toms are pretty great, too. Bass drum seems like it needs a slightly different direction in its tuning (no, I don't mean with a pillow, port, or a self-muffled head), but it could also be the way they recorded it.

Those drums are fantastic. Thanks for posting, Gene.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Crispy, boingy, boppy, for sure. He does have them well-tuned in that realm. The snare drum is a wonder, and the toms are pretty great, too. Bass drum seems like it needs a slightly different direction in its tuning (no, I don't mean with a pillow, port, or a self-muffled head), but it could also be the way they recorded it.

Those drums are fantastic. Thanks for posting, Gene.
I thought the same thing about the bass drum.. interesting. Thanks.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
You used to be able to pick up Ludwig Standards cheap until the secret got out that they sounded great. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with Premier. You can still get them for pennies on the dollar and I would argue that they are better drums than Ludwig and I am a Ludwig guy from way back.

Oh wait. What am I saying? Premier drums are absolute crap.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
You used to be able to pick up Ludwig Standards cheap until the secret got out that they sounded great. I'm afraid the same thing will happen with Premier. You can still get them for pennies on the dollar and I would argue that they are better drums than Ludwig and I am a Ludwig guy from way back.

Oh wait. What am I saying? Premier drums are absolute crap.
Keep in mind.. Better made in one way, does not always equate with better sounding. My absolutely best sounding kit was also not considered top tier. When I finally got the top tier to replace it I was saddened because it did not resonate and carry like the first set. Making things more solid does not mean better sounding. Especially if its an acoustic instrument...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve could have taken the opportunity to explain the shell construction, give a brief history of Premier evolution up to that point
I had a bought ordered and received a new set in late 71 international size--- to compare them with Ludwig is a tough thing.
Premier were more like Jaguar delicate and beautiful styled.
Ludwig were more rugged built more a Ford Pickup.
Premier had some 'delicate' details' that never put them in that rough and rugged category.
Steve blew an opportunity there and played too darn long. (If he was trying to Sell them..(I think

That set was featured in these pages about a year ago. As an ad on Reverb

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s a beautiful finish and a good sounding kit...I wish I had space!

i just noticed the kit is not available, how much was Steve asking for them? Just wondering...
Edit: Never mind, he hasn’t listed them yet.

Last edited:

68clubdate

Reaction score
The way that kit sounds is right up my alley. Gorgeous.

My 20" Premier from that era seems to sound it's best with the thinnest reso possible. The original it came with is thinner than a Diplomat. Tried other heads. Nope.

That kit looks like the tom mount is near the bass hoop in the middle with the cymbal mount in the lefty position? Never seen a Premier kit with that hardware placement.

Anyone know what that hole in the wrap on the 12" is? The tone control would have been mounted on the opposite side two lugs from the badge in
the "normal factory position".

Are those three separate pieces of wrap per drum?

Sure seems like quite an elaborate custom order that was placed in a closet 50 years ago.

Hot ham & cheese, those toms sound KILLER!!!!!

Also, Thin Shell is correct. 60's Premiers are worth less than Sears drums from the era. Go buy a Kent......British drums are not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The way that kit sounds is right up my alley. Gorgeous.

My 20" Premier from that era seems to sound it's best with the thinnest reso possible. The original it came with is thinner than a Diplomat. Tried other heads. Nope.

It looks like the tom mount is near the bass hoop in the middle with the cymbal mount in the lefty position? Never seen a Premier kit with that hardware placement.

Anyone know what that hole in the wrap on the 12" is? The tone control would have been mounted on the opposite side two lugs from the badge in
the "normal factory position".

Are those three separate pieces of wrap per drum?

Sure seems a rather elaborate custom order that got thrown in a closet for 50 years.

Hot ham & cheese, those toms sound KILLER!!!!!

Also, Thin Shell is correct. 60's Premiers are worth less than Sears drums from the era. Go but a Kent......British drums are not worth the hassle.
I was looking to replace the Reso heads on my 3-ply mahogany Premier drums and seems like the diplomats are the closest to the original.
i also noticed the position of the cymbal mount on the bass drum, mine is on the other side for the ride cymbal, maybe this position is meant to go behind the 12” tom but it might also interfere with the position of the 12” tom, it looks a little bit out of place but it is a gorgeous set.
also, the snare being plain WMP is from the 60’s and probably not original to the kit.
From the badges you can tell this is a late 60’s or early 70’s all International sized kit since the floor is not 10 lug and the hoops are 70’s style.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was my favorite era of Premier. If someone managed to resurrect that company, and that era of Premier drums, I would be all over them.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was looking to replace the Reso heads on my 3-ply mahogany Premier drums and seems like the diplomats are the closest to the original.
i also noticed the position of the cymbal mount on the bass drum, mine is on the other side for the ride cymbal, maybe this position is meant to go behind the 12” tom but it might also interfere with the position of the 12” tom, it looks a little bit out of place but it is a gorgeous set.
also, the snare being plain WMP is from the 60’s and probably not original to the kit.
From the badges you can tell this is a late 60’s or early 70’s all International sized kit since the floor is not 10 lug and the hoops are 70’s style.
That is a 14" floor tom. Did Premier ever make one with 10 lugs? I have a 70's 6000 series floor tom with the Beverly lugs and it is 8 lugs.

68clubdate

Reaction score
Is that a 14"?

The site marks it as "pre-international", which would lead me to believe it is a British 16". [16-5/16" diameter}.

I was under the impression all Premier 14" snares, racks and floors were "standard" 14"s back then. Curious........

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a 14"?

The site marks it as "pre-international", which would lead me to believe it is a British 16". [16-5/16" diameter}.

Premier 14" snares and floors were "standard" 14"s back then. Curious........
What Size were the ("metric era") Floor toms where they were "deeper than they were "wide.
Like 16" deep 14" head.

What sizes were those "oblong" floor toms..Premier..

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that a 14"?

I was under the impression all Premier 14" snares and floors were "standard" 14"s back then. Curious........
It’s a 16”, yea sorry for the confusion, the 10 lugs were on the 16” floors only I believe.

68clubdate

Reaction score
JDA ,

I believe those deep floors [or shallow racks] have the same size heads regardless of the depths they offered.

12" is 11-7/8" no matter the depth, for example.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe those deep floors have the same size heads as any other depth of toms they offered.
Yes But I was wondering if there was a "10 Lug" " 14 x 16 (deep) in there...
Think one of the weird sizes was " 16 head 20" deep) or something didn't find the catalog where those were shown (at vintage drum guide....

Probably the 14 tom was never a Ten Lug...

Last edited:

68clubdate

Reaction score
Never heard of a 10 lug 14" Premier floor.

The truth is out there somewhere.

Premier were known to be quite accommodating to orchestral folks [and others] back in those days, so a "factory" built version of anything they had on hand was available. 10 lug 14" hoops for snares were certainly on the shelf. ??

I think the shell diameters would be the only "invariable" in that era.

Last edited: