These vintage Yamaha 9000 series concert toms sound amazing!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are cool. And at least half of the killer sound comes from the guy playing them. That sound and technique is very similar to this video of a set of Yamaha 8000/9000's being played. Just awesome. Could be the same guy.

Yamaha 8000 and 9000 with tunable floor tom

I own a 1982 Yamaha 8000 concert tom set of 8/10/12/13 as part of a bigger kit Tour kit. Even though it's a Tour Series kit, the concert toms are labeled with a 900 serial number....the floor toms and kick with 800 serials. My 900 concert tom plies are a mixed thin birch and fatter maghogany ply that the 8000's are known for (B/M/B/M/B). I've read conflicting info on what the early 9000 vs. 8000 concert tom shells were made of. Though my last time through the Yamaha catalogs I thought I read that the 900/800 CT shells were identical.

Of course the 9000's came with beefier and more adjustable hardware while the 8000 concert toms came with a simple clip on, non-adjustable mount. Because of lesser demand for concert tom kits in the early 80's, Yamaha may have just made the same shell for all of their 7000/8000/9000 concert tom lines....only altering lugs/mounts/stands as needed. And considering concert toms excel with a lower fundamental tone, the birch/mahogany mix would give that to them. No need to have an all birch shell. But I'm still researching that issue. For some reason Yamaha sold very few concert tom kits in the early 80's...at least compared to the mountain of CT kits that Ludwig, Slingerland, and Tama sold. Not nearly as many Gretsch, Pearl, Rogers, and Yamaha's.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, that was the same guy playing both kits....named BeBop....their overall sound and technique is unmistakable. Here's another video on those same 1980's concert toms just tuned higher with some inner Phill Collins too - sizes 8,10,12,16. He calls them all birch......though I'm not convinced.

Another video of BeBop with higher tuning

Last edited: