Thin Crash/Ride or Ride?

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually went downstairs and played my Crash Ride after posting this and I was surprised. It does have a very loud stick with a lot of wash, but the wash doesn’t build and build like I thought. And it crashes so well. It is a fine and dandy main ride, honestly. The Medium Thin is obviously more controlled and clickier. More woody and less bell-like. But thanks for this thread I enjoyed getting to know my Crash Ride better!

I rarely play my vintage stuff, so I’m not as familiar. I think I might start because these 60’s A’s are sweet.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
I actually went downstairs and played my Crash Ride after posting this and I was surprised. It does have a very loud stick with a lot of wash, but the wash doesn’t build and build like I thought. And it crashes so well. It is a fine and dandy main ride, honestly. The Medium Thin is obviously more controlled and clickier. More woody and less bell-like. But thanks for this thread I enjoyed getting to know my Crash Ride better!

I rarely play my vintage stuff, so I’m not as familiar. I think I might start because these 60’s A’s are sweet.
You’re welcome! That’s awesome! Yeah, they are so versatile!

What size Crash/Ride do you have?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My left side crash/ride, which comes out for bigger rock gigs, is really a crash/wash ride.

It’s an early 60’s 20 inch A Zildjian at about 1840 grams.

It likes a good party, but never gets too loud or obnoxious after a few gin and tonics.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
My left side crash/ride, which comes out for bigger rock gigs, is really a crash/wash ride.

It’s an early 60’s 20 inch A Zildjian at about 1840 grams.

It likes a good party, but never gets too loud or obnoxious after a few gin and tonics.
Nice!!

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Well... preferably both. I used thin rides as my crashes and thick rock rides to get actual stick definition and ping, but I play very heavy handed. I suppose it depends on your playing style. If you’re looking to play fast and hard without losing the individual notes, a crash ride is probably not for you; at the same time you will not get that great space filling wash from a heavier rock ride. That’s why I like to have both in my kit. I’d say if you’re not getting what you’re want from your crashes, go with the crash ride, but if you’re doing complicated/important ride work go with something heavier.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ride my crashes and crash my rides
To be pedantic, there are "crash rides" and then there are "crashable rides". They are totally different from each other.

A crash/ride is usually heavier and used for louder music like Rock. Not always, but it's more likely. In contrast, you'll never hear a jazz player talking about their crash/ride, lol.

A crashable ride is a ride cymbal.....that is also crashable. They tend to be lighter in weight, and more often are used in the quieter half of genres like jazz, funk, blues, country, and even pop.

But anyway, I love crashable rides. It's nice having another crash cymbal on the kit without adding cymbals! My current favorites are my Zildjian Kerope 22" and K Sweet 21".
How would I tell the difference if there's no ink designation on the cymbal?

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Not sure I would ever actively seek out something specifically designated a crash/ride, but the designation is less important than the actual size and weight. I picked up a 20" K Con Bounce "ride" (official designation) not long ago, and at 1688g it's quite light and flexible. In fact, I bought this one specifically due to the lighter than usual weight for a 20". Despite the ride label, it rides and crashes beautifully, and really falls in between what one would expect from a "crash" or a "ride". Also added a couple of rivets recently, and it works perfectly for me as a left side ride/big crash.

I do agree with what some others have said though about it being difficult for a cymbal to do everything well, and don't think I would ever use it as my main ride (that's a 22" MTL with far more definition), other than perhaps in a quieter acoustic/jazz setting. Still, I'm usually looking for a ride that I can crash, or a crash that I can ride.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought two 60s A's based on soundfiles, for a jazz/big band contexts, and both turned out to be crash rides (larger bell). They work well as rides. One is 1870g, the ride sound is quite washy, and the other one is around 2030g, with more "zing" to the sound. I also have one at 2150g which I bought w/o sound, just going by the look. This one might take the cake as the most versatile one, if you include using different sticks.

I think he crash ride has a larger bell than the medium ride. We'd need a way to measure bell size, difficult as the height of the cymbal includes the bow of the body, but it seems like the crash ride is higher overall as well.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought two 60s A's based on soundfiles, for a jazz/big band contexts, and both turned out to be crash rides (larger bell). They work well as rides. One is 1870g, the ride sound is quite washy, and the other one is around 2030g, with more "zing" to the sound. I also have one at 2150g which I bought w/o sound, just going by the look. This one might take the cake as the most versatile one, if you include using different sticks.

I think he crash ride has a larger bell than the medium ride. We'd need a way to measure bell size, difficult as the height of the cymbal includes the bow of the body, but it seems like the crash ride is higher overall as well.
I agree. Mine has its designation and it’s higher and has a bigger bell than any straight ride.

Drumolator

Reaction score
I love crash-ride cymbals. My ride is Sabian HHX 20 inch Evolution Ride that is very crashable. My SR2 18 inch Thin crash turned out to be a good ride too. Peace and goodwill.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
I love crash-ride cymbals. My ride is Sabian HHX 20 inch Evolution Ride that is very crashable. My SR2 18 inch Thin crash turned out to be a good ride too. Peace and goodwill.
Nice! I’ve heard good things about those. We like versatility! Yeah, I also use a Zildjian 18” late 70’s thin crash which another contender for a crash/ride as well.