Thin-ish Hi-Hats...Too Breakable?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a second pair of hi-hats. 15 or 16 inch. I'll be moving my 14's onto a remote hi-hat mount to give me an extra voice and some physical versatility.

Right now I'm pretty taken with a pair of Bosphorous 15" Masters hi-hats. The weights are only 968/1196. Bottom hat isn't an issue. More concerned with the top since I hit pretty hard.

So, the question is, do you guys think that upper hat, which is moderately thin for a 15", will hold up to a beating, or am I going to do some damage?

Thanks in advance!

Moonman

Reaction score
I don't think you'd have any trouble with that weight... I guess it could be problematic if you play them completely open, with the top hat tightened down, AND placed pretty high on the stand. I could be wrong, but I just don't think it should be an issue. Only my two cents.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having broken a few cymbals in my younger days, I can attest that one has to hit pretty hard to damage cymbals. If you're not breaking crash cymbals some 15" hats should survive nicely.

That said, if your technique makes you worry that you'll break cymbals, you might want to consider modifying said technique. Mine changed when I realized that I was playing harder in order to hear myself better over guitar amps, and that much of the extra effort I put into playing did not result in more volume from the cymbals.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are some thin hi-hats I would heistate to have hard-hitters play. It's not just about overall weight, but about thinnes of the edge/taper as well.
Mounting the top cymbal loosely should help keeping the cymbals intact for longer. make sure there is no threading on the clitch that damages the mounting hole of the top cymbal.
Note how some heavy-sounding drummers don't play the hi-hats that hard. This helps balancing the sound of the kit as well.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you are really listening to your hi hats you’ll be fine. I’ve got an old set of thin zilco hats and find there is a point at which hitting them harder chokes out the sound instead of making it louder. If you play them so they respond at their loudest it will be the pressure that lets them vibrate. I do have to consciously keep a little less pressure on the pedal with them too but keep your ears open and you’ll know when you’re giving them more than they can take

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a set of Agop Xist 15” hats that are just phenomenal, and I was surprised they weigh as much as they do. You might want to take a listen to those, they are easily the best sounding hats in the line.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the 90s destroyed my set of Paiste Sig Dark Crisp hats, so it can definitely be done. I wouldn't get Bos Masters if you're going to bash on them. I think you'll destroy them, and not get any kind of good musical result-- they're not made for high volume playing. Normal light hihats will at least return some volume when you play them loud. I'd look at Bos Traditional, maybe. I find their other lines to be generally pretty quiet.

Of course I like Cymbal & Gong, or Agop, or Mehmet-- I think their thinner cymbals would handle heavier playing better.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinner cymbals are made for softer lighter playing. If you are hitting hard use heavier cymbals. You will break them because you are using the wrong tool for the job.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that DCP had a cymbal pack they put together a few years ago of larger Zildjian A cymbals and one of the main points in the video was using thin cymbals because they held up better than thicker ones. This statement was made in regards to thin crashes picked for the set.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is interesting that DCP had a cymbal pack they put together a few years ago of larger Zildjian A cymbals and one of the main points in the video was using thin cymbals because they held up better than thicker ones. This statement was made in regards to thin crashes picked for the set.
I heard this before, I think it was part adspeak when Z came out with thinner crashes (A Customs) in the 90s.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a physics standpoint I think you’ll crack a heavier cymbal before you crack a thin one. A thin cymbal has more flex, you can take a paper thin cymbal and taco it with no harm done. You can take a thin splash and pop it inside out (like a cheap umbrella) and back, no problems. When you crash on a really thin cymbal, you can see it wobbling like a tossed pizza dough - again, no harm done. When a cymbal is too heavy to wobble, the energy has nowhere to go and can’t be ‘released’ out into the ether. Something’s gotta give.

I’d go for it and not worry about it. The hats are going to be buttery and flexible, and they’ll last you a good long time. I’m not sure how large, thin hats musically pair with high volume bashing… but that’s a personal thing I guess. 15” or 16” thin Turkish hats seem like a mismatch for your flavor, I think they shine in a more subtle setting where the smooth, smoky, woody tone comes through.

Bosphorus goes thin to heavy - Dark, Crisp, Bright. For more cut and volume (but still dark and dry) a pair of Crisp weight Turk or Black Pearl or Antique might fit the bill nicely. (The sandwashed Syncopation hats look lovely too)

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with the thinner cymbals being less likely to crack. And 968 is hardly "thin" for a 15" cymbal. I'd call that a lighter medium to upper end medium thin. It's equivalent to a 16 at 1137 gm or an 18 at 1533 gm.
I have 15 hi hat pairs from 600 to 900 gms and never an issue with edge cracks. In fact I don't think I've ever seen an early thin Zildjian 16" or smaller that was cracked at the edge.
It's usually on the inner grooves or bell hole where cracks might usually appear on thin weights. On the other hand, the "thins" are certainly more likely to dent or warp with hard hits.

Tarkus

Reaction score
There are some thin hi-hats I would heistate to have hard-hitters play. It's not just about overall weight, but about thinnes of the edge/taper as well.
Mounting the top cymbal loosely should help keeping the cymbals intact for longer. make sure there is no threading on the clitch that damages the mounting hole of the top cymbal.

This is the trick.

Only once, I had my hi-hat top mounted too stiff at a loud live setting. Afterwards I had multiple cracks at the edge of my beloved 15" 602. I was very ashamed of that, but it happened.

Later, I got it repaired (laser beam welding), and now its fine. But I didn't play it for about 10 years, until I learned that laser beam welding works out on cymbals.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is the trick.

Only once, I had my hi-hat top mounted too stiff at a loud live setting. Afterwards I had multiple cracks at the edge of my beloved 15" 602.
I have seen hats mounted with only one, or completely without felts on the clutch! Talk about stress exerted on the cymbal. A cymbal needs to be free to give way to the stroke. With loud playing, even just too much foot pressure might limit the movement too much.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Agop Xist 15” hats that are just phenomenal, and I was surprised they weigh as much as they do. You might want to take a listen to those, they are easily the best sounding hats in the line.
Those are awesome hats. I love the whole Xist line, and they’re a bargain too.